Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recently my 2018 Model S completely shut down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am just sharing my experience so it might be helpful for someone in the future.
My 2018 Model S with 85k miles on it completely shutdown. It still had charge left. Also the air conditioning stopped working few days before the car shutdown.
Even the key fob wasn't working to open the front, trunk or doors etc.

My insurance company could only connect me to a couple of dumb towing companies who kept asking me if the car is in neutral which is wasn't
I called Tesla and their quote to tow 18 miles which is the distance of their service center was $700ish so i ended up getting an independent towing company for $250

The way to put the car in the towing mode was following:
First locate the 2x cables on the front of the front 2 tires on either side. These cables are hidden under the plastic black panel.
Pulling these cables opens the front trunk. Then jump starting the 12V battery in the front trunk to open the doors and start the computer and access the screen so we can put the car in tow mode.

Total cost for repair estimate is $3538.66

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• TSLA.jpg
    TSLA.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: tesluv108
Hi,
I am just sharing my experience so it might be helpful for someone in the future.
My 2018 Model S with 85k miles on it completely shutdown. It still had charge left. Also the air conditioning stopped working few days before the car shutdown.
Even the key fob wasn't working to open the front, trunk or doors etc.

My insurance company could only connect me to a couple of dumb towing companies who kept asking me if the car is in neutral which is wasn't
I called Tesla and their quote to tow 18 miles which is the distance of their service center was $700ish so i ended up getting an independent towing company for $250

The way to put the car in the towing mode was following:
First locate the 2x cables on the front of the front 2 tires on either side. These cables are hidden under the plastic black panel.
Pulling these cables opens the front trunk. Then jump starting the 12V battery in the front trunk to open the doors and start the computer and access the screen so we can put the car in tow mode.

Total cost for repair estimate is $3538.66

Hope this helps someone.
This is way too much work to have a car towed. Ridiculous.

I'd tell them to get bent on that BS HVAC evac and recharge. That's $550 of bogus work that's very likely completely unnecessary. If they do the rest of the work and THEN the AC still isn't working maybe that's a reasonable course of action.

Reactions: brkaus