Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Niro Rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the owner of a Model 3 I thought I should give my impressions of this rental. Clearly I'll be a bit biased, but this is a Tesla owner's board after all. This is my first drive of any other EV.

1. I found all of the lights, buttons, screens, really to be too much. As much as people are shocked by the spare look of the M3, the Niro overwhelms you with lights and knobs. It is just as confusing to have all of this as it is to go through the menus on the M3, with a lot more clutter. And there was no digital display of speed with all of these screens.

2. The maps sucked. I just wanted a view of the surrounding area and I couldn't get just that. It is a smaller screen and yet it zooms in so much that all you see are the few blocks you are on. And there are two sides. I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Ultimately my wife used Google maps on her phone to guide us.

3. The safety features were distracting. Every time I got even close to the line it started beeping at me. And when switching lanes it almost always detected a car. I was in Los Angeles and there is ALWAYS another car nearby. Also while parking the chimes would go off before I was even close. I live in NYC and that would just drive me crazy.

4. The acceleration sucked too. It felt like I was driving a gas powered car. My SR+ would beat this from a stop easily.

5. One pedal driving, or lack thereof. It would creep forward like a gas car.

6. Why do I have to turn the car on? I unlocked it and opened the door. It is superfluous that I have to push another button. Also, the knob you turn to put it into drive and reverse just seemed cheesy.

Now I'm sure a lot of this is in the options to correct it, but overall I wasn't impressed. I'm also sure that all of this is to replicate the driving experience of an ICE car. If I wanted that though I'd buy an ICE car. And lest you think I'm a T fanboi, I'm not. I've already decided I won't buy another, although mostly because I won't give Elmo another dime of my money. My M3 is decent enough but there are a lot of improvements that could be made.

Reactions: MikeChicago
I just finished renting a Hyundai Kona. Similar feelings.
I'll add though that charging is the biggest issue.
- Finding chargers takes work, a lot of apps, patience, driving around blocked driveways since the chargers can be in back of dealerships, and moving junk out of the way. Major hassle. Clearly, EVs, other than Tesla, aren't ready for mainstream users yet.
- They are very slow (47 KW) to DCFC.
- Having to return with 70% SoC when it charges at one 47 KW means you have to get to the airport a couple of hours early since you need to charge at 47 KW. You must find a nearby charger, wait 15 minutes for an open one (those near the airport are busy, especially since it takes so long for everyone to charge), then sit there for an hour.

As the owner of a Model 3 I thought I should give my impressions of this rental. Clearly I'll be a bit biased, but this is a Tesla owner's board after all. This is my first drive of any other EV.

1. I found all of the lights, buttons, screens, really to be too much. As much as people are shocked by the spare look of the M3, the Niro overwhelms you with lights and knobs. It is just as confusing to have all of this as it is to go through the menus on the M3, with a lot more clutter. And there was no digital display of speed with all of these screens.
If I recall, we didn't like the Niro dash as much as the Kona.

In our Kona the speed display depends on mode: digital speed display either in Eco or Power modes, but faux analog in Normal mode.

However, you can always display it in the center of the driver display.

In the right steering wheel button group, left column is to change the display. It's the Mode button on top, then up and down to cycle through the options within each mode. One of the options is Digital Speedometer, amongst the driving info options.
For future reference should you find yourself in a gasoline or hybrid Hyundai or Kia the option should be available there as well.

4. The acceleration sucked too. It felt like I was driving a gas powered car. My SR+ would beat this from a stop easily.

0-60 in 7.8s if older, 6.7 if newer. So not quick, but not a slug.

5. One pedal driving, or lack thereof. It would creep forward like a gas car.

Pull and hold the left (plus) regen paddle for 1/2 second and more and it will brake, bring the car to a stop and hold it stopped until you hit the accelerator. I usually use this to hold my Kona, even if I've braked to stop it.

(But fair enough. I have a Kona EV and didn't learn about this feature until checking something in the IONIQ5 manual in response to a user post, and then double-checked my own. :p)

I just finished renting a Hyundai Kona. Similar feelings.
I'll add though that charging is the biggest issue.
- Finding chargers takes work, a lot of apps, patience, driving around blocked driveways since the chargers can be in back of dealerships, and moving junk out of the way. Major hassle. Clearly, EVs, other than Tesla, aren't ready for mainstream users yet.
- They are very slow (47 KW) to DCFC.
- Having to return with 70% SoC when it charges at one 47 KW means you have to get to the airport a couple of hours early since you need to charge at 47 KW. You must find a nearby charger, wait 15 minutes for an open one (those near the airport are busy, especially since it takes so long for everyone to charge), then sit there for an hour.

While a Kona is slow charging, if the Kona is charging at 47kW the battery temperature is low, the state of charge is well into the 70s% or you're at a 50kW charger.

Use ABRP to suggest routes.
Use Plugshare to find chargers.

The charging apps are more annoying, although generally now there are more chargers supporting contactless payment. But thinking ahead and you can make sure you have the key apps installed for the area you drive in. Electrify America, Chargepoint and EVGo broadly have good coverage (I had them installed before I bought the car), and ChargePoint has some interoperability agreements so you can use the RFID or app with a number of different networks.

The problem as a rental car is that you just don't know that nor have the time nor patience to find it out. I'm sure a first time renter of a Model 3 would feel the same way about it. The prior time I was in LA I rented a 3 and set it as close as I could to mine at home, but it was still annoying to have to lock it manually.

And you are right about the charging. I didn't even bother to look for a charger, I just paid the $35 that Hertz charges. It would have cost some portion of that anyway, plus my time doing it, and figuring out how to make it work.

Well ... the thing about the Niro is that you can get it as an ICE, a Hybrid (maybe a PHEV) or an EV which means that there will have been compromises taken throughout the design of the vehicle

A Y or a 3 or an EV6 or an Ionic 5 is an EV from the ground up so has to be a much better choice

I do like the Hyundai/Kia warranty though