Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob & Memory for Drivers seat and side mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the fobs are the color of the car. Increases the coolness factor substantially. I'd like to be able to pull the fob out of the pocket when asked "What does your car look like?" and be able to show them shape and color.

Plasticky light.

Yep, seemed that way to me too..

I hope the fobs are the color of the car. Increases the coolness factor substantially. I'd like to be able to pull the fob out of the pocket when asked "What does your car look like?" and be able to show them shape and color.

A rep told me it would be the color of the car. I don't see why you couldn't get a different color though, at least as an extra/replacement for more $.

That said, the rep could be wrong and they might turn out to all be black. Note this was for a white car. But the display also doesn't match the car--it shows the car in red. Presumably these things didn't match because it's not a production car.

Last edited:
Maybe I was "primed" to think the FOB was really light-weight. But I got a chance to play with it today, and it felt just about right. Any heavier, it would have felt like a couple AA batteries. Any lighter, and definitely it would feel flimsy.

Disclaimer: All my vehicles use a key, and a separate FOB on the keychain for lock/unlock. So I'm not used to the more modern cars that use just a push button start, where the FOB may be more substantial in weight/size. But for me, the Model S FOB was perfect - I wouldn't change a thing.

The Tesla rep there did say that the FOB would match the color of the car, adding one more data point on what others have heard.

I'd like to see the Fob miniturised into a stylish ring I can wear on my right hand. As I reach toward the driver's door the handle slides out to greet me (as seen in videos posted in other threads).

It could be stirling silver with a Tesla emblem embossed in the middle either in colour or also in silver. Buttons on the side sit flush like on a digital watch. (It would need to be water proof of course so I didn't have to take it off every time I have a shower or go for a swim)

Alternatively a braclet worn on the wrist would provide more room for buttons without having to miniturise the electronics. Or why not incorporate the fob into a Telsa wrist-watch???
Hope the Tesla Boffins read this thread. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I feel the same way about the BMW fob. Way too big. All my coworkers who own BMWs all leave their key fob on their desk all day at work because it is too uncomfortable in their pocket. Same thing when we go out to lunch, their FOB sits on the table instead of their pocket.

I guess I'll have to see the Model S fob in person, maybe the photo is fooling me.
I shot a short video of it today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lFn6ke33dE

It really is a neat keyfob, nicely done.

I'd like to see the Fob miniturised into a stylish ring I can wear on my right hand. As I reach toward the driver's door the handle slides out to greet me (as seen in videos posted in other threads).

It could be stirling silver with a Tesla emblem embossed in the middle either in colour or also in silver. Buttons on the side sit flush like on a digital watch. (It would need to be water proof of course so I didn't have to take it off every time I have a shower or go for a swim)

Alternatively a braclet worn on the wrist would provide more room for buttons without having to miniturise the electronics. Or why not incorporate the fob into a Telsa wrist-watch???

I hope they are listening as well as these are interesting ideas. I'd rather have something like a ring, all things being equal, instead of a fob, if given the choice.

The Toyota Crown (a luxury version of the Prius hybrid sold only in limited numbers in Japan) once had a very stylish wrist watch that had the fob built in. IMO, that's ideal. Give me a stylish Tesla wrist watch as the main fob and then a backup fob for my wife...perfect. Nothing in the pockets necessary, never left in "my other coat pocket" like my current fob (it gets really easy to forget to grab keys when you never need to touch them to get into a car with a Prius-style smart key system). Would want it to be water proof so I could wear it 25/7.

Have the RFID chip implanted. :biggrin: Known as "chipping". When you sell your Model S, or when your lease expires, have the chip removed again, or have it invalidated by TM.

Have the RFID chip implanted. :biggrin: Known as "chipping". When you sell your Model S, or when your lease expires, have the chip removed again, or have it invalidated by TM.

Ca'mon Volker, RFID chips are so 'old school.' I want the Model S to use sophisticated biometrics to 'know' when I'm walking up to the car, open the door, adjust the seat/mirrors, adjust the temperature, start playing my favorite playlist, and suggest directions to the newest trendy German restaurant for lunch. Guten appetit! Actually, the fob shape is kinda cool.

I love the fob (as my avatar suggests), but I wouldn't mind a body accessory either. Watch or ring.

Dare to think outside the box! Here is a suggestion how to design standard and signature key fobs. Must be teslarized, of course.
d4780121r.jpg