Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob & Memory for Drivers seat and side mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And for the automatic keyless entry. And for the HD backup camera. And for the LED foglights. And for the power rear liftgate. And for the turn-by-turn nav with 7-years of free map updates.

I'd say it's about $1,250-$1,750 more than it should have been and is a very pricey option for those of us doing the math over and over again for the Model S but, it was indeed the first option that I thought of after the $750 metallic paint.

It'd show off and really make use of that 17" touchscreen.

Agree with everything you said except HD backup camera. I really can't foresee it making much of a difference to see my garbage bins in HD or SD...

That's my recollection too. I might be wrong (Brianman has the snapshots of the webpage at various points in time to confirm or otherwise) but, at some point, the memory part was up on the Options page as part of the description of the Nappa Leather package. Not sure why it has gone for a walkabout since?

As for which key is sensed, we had discussed this in the past; it seems to vary slightly from car to car - from my wife's Mini to strider's Corvette - but, usually, the key closer to the driver's side kinda' wins.
Heh, I should have. I have a random assortment, rather than a reliable sequence. Nonetheless, I'll see if I can dig up something useful on the topic later tonite.

I think if you're spending this much on a car, getting the tech package is the best thing to do in my opinion at least. I think most people would be disappointed without it. While it should have been standard, Tesla needed to hit their $50,000 target so maybe that's why it's not standard.

+1

I bought the 2001 Prius without all the options (even though there weren't that many) I've been kicking myself ever since, so I made sure I got everything with the 2004. For the Tesla it will be air suspension, tech package, aero wheels, and sound system. No leather (I really wish I knew what the big deal was about leather--The leather I've had in cars has been short lived and very uncomfortable. I wish there was gray fabric) and no pano roof (Who wants a leaky hole in the roof? In my opinion, holes in the roof show the power of advertising over common sense).

No leather (I really wish I knew what the big deal was about leather--The leather I've had in cars has been short lived and very uncomfortable. I wish there was gray fabric) and no pano roof (Who wants a leaky hole in the roof? In my opinion, holes in the roof show the power of advertising over common sense).
Leather gives (1) trim insets other than piano black (2) lumbar support and (3) seat+mirror memory. The leather in my Audi and my BMW are extremely durable and easier to care for than fabrics.
I agree re pano roof. I've had 3 cars with pano roofs, and 2 of them were sources of troubles. Not a representative experience, but I'm not feeling lucky.

No leather (I really wish I knew what the big deal was about leather--The leather I've had in cars has been short lived and very uncomfortable. I wish there was gray fabric) and no pano roof (Who wants a leaky hole in the roof? In my opinion, holes in the roof show the power of advertising over common sense).

I am mostly considering the leather for the heated seats. I generally like cloth over leather, as I wear shorts and leather isn't really comfortable when it is cold/hot outside. But I find leather is a lot easier to keep clean.

(I really wish I knew what the big deal was about leather--The leather I've had in cars has been short lived and very uncomfortable.
When I lived in Oklahoma I hated leather as it was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Now that I live in NorCal that is less of a concern and leather is 1000 times easier to clean if you spill something on it than fabric. Now that we have a baby this has become even more critical.

As for the roof I've never had a factory sunroof that leaked. In our WRX wagon the dealer installed an aftermarket one and it leaked but never a factory one. I think the pano roof is amazing.

I posed this question today. The Tesla folks at the event hadn't heard the question before, but "think" that there will be an over-ride on the touchscreen.

I see this as very relevant. I'll keep my fob in my pocket, and the wife will keep hers in her purse. Sometimes we take a trip together (not in the same seat, as the original post was understood...).

Perhaps some way to prioritize drivers, as I often drive when we both are in the car? And a quick button on the touch screen for when another driver is the driver seat?

Perhaps some way to prioritize drivers, as I often drive when we both are in the car? And a quick button on the touch screen for when another driver is the driver seat?
If the car cannot localize the fob with enough resolution to figure out which fob is where, then I think this default list would be a very good add. It certainly would address my needs.

I suspect this would be handled the same way as the Bluetooth (hand-free) connection to "registered" phones in my present car - there is a default pairing (my phone) which takes precedence if there are multiple registered phones in range. If my phone is not in range, pairing can take place with the next registered device. There would need to be a priority list asignment to the multiple fobs.

Finally got to see the key fob in the wild, today at Fashion Island. Beta 53 (pearl white performance) had one hiding in the cup holder.

IMG_1230.JPG

There is a hole at the bottom, as well as a battery cover (I presume). Hole is large enough to add a key ring or chain. As you can see, it is about the same size as my keyfob, although alone, it looks deceptively tiny. If you click on the picture, you can see a faint color change along the center spine of the car, which is where the buttons are. I found three zones. Pressing the middle one caused the car to "bing" as if I locked the doors.