Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote key fob - Does it have proximity capability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While Tesla tried to fix my new LRMY for the 4th time (and failed), I was given a remote smart key fob which I found to be much better than having my phone in my pocket. I was able to walk close to any part of the car and it would unlock, unlike my phone where I seem to have to walk to the drivers door which is a pain if I am for example trying to open the charge port on the other side, or enter into a nearside door. The Android app sucks, it's incredibly laggy and I don't want to stand out in the rain waiting for it to load and connect, and on the odd occassion trying to open my car as it's asking for a keycard. The smart key fob never had a problem, and I can easily unlock the car using buttons like the good old days, and I believe the front bonnet which is a winner.

I was thinking of buying a used one on Ebay but I'm a little unclear as to whether there are multiple types. From what I've read the first ones were just buttons, but the later ones had proximity capability like the model X one that I had in the loaner.

Does anybody know anything about this and how I might identify them so I don't buy an old one as it must have the proximity capability.

Thanks

I can't really assist with the prox key info, but... You shouldn't need the app to load just to get into your car. The proximity feature on your phone works in the background. It sounds like you have a phone/OS issue. Do you have an oddball uncommon or really old Android device? You shouldn't need to interact with your phone at all, ever, for Phone-as-key to work perfectly.

I can't really assist with the prox key info, but... You shouldn't need the app to load just to get into your car. The proximity feature on your phone works in the background. It sounds like you have a phone/OS issue. Do you have an oddball uncommon or really old Android device? You shouldn't need to interact with your phone at all, ever, for Phone-as-key to work perfectly.
Yes, completely agreed. With the phone in your pocket, if you are close enough to touch the vehicle it should unlock fine. I often leave my phone on a shelf in the garage about 4 or 5 feet from the car and that is close enough to allow me access. It really should not be an issue at all with the phone. Just the other day, my son was going to get into my MYP but I was heading back into the house via the door from the garage so I just stood in that doorway (about 5 feet from the car) until he got in. You shouldn't really have to be in any certain place or fiddle with the phone.

Now, if you have one of those "app killers" on your phone that are supposed to save battery by terminating apps then either get rid of that or grant an exception to the Tesla app and its services.

BTW, I have had the opposite experience with a fob on our Model S (that we recently sold). I would need to get pretty close to the B pillar on the drivers side before it would "present handles" (the Model S handles would come out physically).

The newer fobs are proximity. The very first ones that were available back in 2018 were only button click. Unfortunately I have no idea when they switched over. I purchased a button click one as I was afraid my wife wouldn't like the phone key. Turns out phone key & the remote heat (that is safe to use in the garage) are are two favorite features.

I have the FOB and Pixel 7 Pro phone. In rare case, the phone stopped working as key, but that's mainly be cause I hadn't used the app for weeks or after some updates. A reboot normally fixed it. Similar experience with my previous Pixel 5 phone. FOB does have proximity function and it works great for guest.

While Tesla tried to fix my new LRMY for the 4th time (and failed), I was given a remote smart key fob which I found to be much better than having my phone in my pocket. I was able to walk close to any part of the car and it would unlock, unlike my phone where I seem to have to walk to the drivers door which is a pain if I am for example trying to open the charge port on the other side, or enter into a nearside door. The Android app sucks, it's incredibly laggy and I don't want to stand out in the rain waiting for it to load and connect, and on the odd occassion trying to open my car as it's asking for a keycard. The smart key fob never had a problem, and I can easily unlock the car using buttons like the good old days, and I believe the front bonnet which is a winner.

I was thinking of buying a used one on Ebay but I'm a little unclear as to whether there are multiple types. From what I've read the first ones were just buttons, but the later ones had proximity capability like the model X one that I had in the loaner.

Does anybody know anything about this and how I might identify them so I don't buy an old one as it must have the proximity capability.

Thanks
The fobs with the proximity feature have the word Tesla on the underside while the fobs without the proximity feature say Model 3.

I have the FOB and Pixel 7 Pro phone. In rare case, the phone stopped working as key, but that's mainly be cause I hadn't used the app for weeks or after some updates. A reboot normally fixed it. Similar experience with my previous Pixel 5 phone. FOB does have proximity function and it works great for guest.
For the record, "fob" is a word, not an acronym. Well, it's an acronym too, but you can't unlock your car with a Free On Board delivery contract.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Thanks for all the replies, so if I want one off Ebay I just have have make sure it has TESLA written on it. I see that some are also boasting of being 3 button, perhaps those are the newer ones. The phone generally works, but it's a pain as it's not reliable unless I walk close to the drivers door, the fob I have with the model X loaner was much much better.

So this one has MODEL S written on it, that might be an old one with no proximity

This has TESLA written on it, it's a newer one with proximity?

I bought a fob directly from Tesla. It says 'Model S' on the bottom. Works just fine in my Model Y, though. Just put it on the console and the car will prompt you to also put a card on it to make sure you are you and it will add the fob. Takes a few seconds. Yes proximity works fine. Button to open/close trunk and frunk, lock and unlock the car as well as walk away lock.

Reactions: fsb1
Those that had fobs, could you have the car unlock from both sides of the car? I find that my phone will only unlock if I go to the drivers side (right side as it's a right hand drive), which is a pain if I want to enter the passenger side. The model X loaner did not have this problem and as soon as I came close to the car it would unlock, from all sides.

Those that had fobs, could you have the car unlock from both sides of the car? I find that my phone will only unlock if I go to the drivers side (right side as it's a right hand drive), which is a pain if I want to enter the passenger side. The model X loaner did not have this problem and as soon as I came close to the car it would unlock, from all sides.
Yes it unlocks all doors. I don't remember where the setting is, but there is an option that will only unlock the river side door if you walk up.