Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Methods to open frunk while approaching a sleeping car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why I hardly use the frunk. Plenty of other space to put things in the car without needing extra steps like pulling out the app.
I find the frunk is a great place to put bags of groceries', they fit snug and don't roll around. When I get home the front of the car is about 3' from the garage refrigerator, really east to put things away.

IMG_8610.JPG

Reactions: zoomer0056
You have to be in Bluetooth range. If the car is in Bluetooth range it can receive open/close and lock/unlock commands directly via Bluetooth and the car does not have to be awake and connected. Otherwise the command has to go through the internet to reach the car which requires the car to be awake and connected.
So i can confirm this does work. Thank you. When I walked up to the car and hit the frunk open button in the widget, it opened immediately even though the car was still asleep. It opened the app and began waking the car as it showed ghost car in the app. This is more convienient vs what i was doing, so that's good. Still means i have to get the phone out of my pocket though. A kick sensor under the front of car that would open the frunk while the car was asleep and parked but in bluetooth range would be great.

Reactions: fholbert
WIDGET on the iphone. literally just press it once and it opens. Or add it as a shortcut to your watch or iphone home screen. But seriously. Have the widget for your tesla on the home screen. Add the frunk button. press it done.

Does the widget confirm like the app does?

I just ask because we are pretty sure a 'butt widget press' opened the frunk while my husband was in Europe and I was miles (and a ferry ride) away from the car. It sent me notification that the frunk was open, which, of course, did me no friggin good except to be glad it wasn't raining.

Not only have I had him remove that from the widget (I mean really, why is he using a widget, he bought himself the fob), I've also made sure the frunk is not one of the top level options in the app so I can't hit it by accident. Although when I press it, it asks me to confirm.

There is an app for the Samsung Galaxy watch 4 (and higher) called Drive Electric. It has an "open on approach" feature that works on both the trunk and trunk. It has many other functions as well, and is one of my favorite watch apps.

I use the frunk everyday. Its a great compartment for my work backpack containing my laptop and for groceries and things can't move around too much up there. Once annoyance is that there is no exterior button or proximity sensor to open it while approaching the car with hands full. It also won't open via the app until the car is awake and waking the car via the app can take 10+ seconds.

Currently, I do one of these things, but is there a better way? Note that while I have a lot of apple product experience professionally, that experience has taught me to dislike apple's ecosystem and I don't use apple products in my personal life. Still interested if there is a better way to do this via apple products as Tesla caters more heavily to apple to android.

Current Methods:
-Wake the car via the app before i leave the office. As I walk to the car and can see it, hit the button on the app to open the frunk.
-Walk up to the car and open the drivers door, hit the frunk button on the screen.

Ideas:
-s3xy button on the outside of the car hidden? I think still won't work until the car is awake, which still means using the app or the door handle
-wire up emergency release behind tow hook cover to +12V power on a switch. Still won't work when car isn't awake and unlocked?
-s3xy button on the drivers door panel inside. Open door, hit button. Saves a reach to the screen.

Questions:
-Can the car be configured to wake when the phone key approaches?
I actually have a Siri shortcut set up called "Open the hood". I don't use "Open the Frunk" because Siri constantly confused it with Trunk and kept opening the trunk. The cool part is as I approach my like (even with the phone in my pocket)...I say Siri open the hood,,,and it opens. This works great when you are carrying stuff and your hands are full. For Siri to work in your pocket, you need to enable Siri for face down listening under the accessibility settings. This way Siri will alway respond regardless of positioning or placement (face down) of phone.