Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car died today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024 model, purchased in February. I was packing up my car to go for a mountain bike ride. I had just updated the car about an hour earlier to 2024.3.10. I pulled the car out of my driveway and ran back into the garage to grab some more gear and when I got back into the car, I suddenly had some errors on my screen saying the battery was low and it was shutting off functions to reserve power. My HV battery was at 49%, so I’m guessing the LV battery was at fault here. Within minutes the car shut down completely. I couldn’t do anything.

I tried “jumping” the frunk to open it and see if I could jumpstart the car and at least get it back into my driveway, but that didn’t even work. I tried two 12v batteries and even a 9v after those 12v ones wouldn’t work. Nothing happened. No sound of the frunk unlocking.

So, I had to call for roadside. After explaining my problem in the app, I then got a text message asking me to explain my problem again, only for them to say “we will call you about your problem” and having to explain it a 3rd time… they finally have sent a tow truck. None of the service centers around me are open on the weekend, so they won’t be able to look at my car until Monday. So, there goes my weekend plans. Yep, I’m pouting a bit. lol

Here is a possibility.. The Frunk has two locks, the main lock and a safety lock (just like all cars.) If the frunk is not opened in a timely fashion after the main lock releases, the safety lock re-locks. So try this: places your hands on both sides of the Tesla logo and press down firmly, hopefully you will hear a click. Now try using the 12V battery again and be sure to observe polarity. Hopefully you will hear the frunk release, in which case open it promptly.

Once open, if your car has the 16v battery instead of the 12v stop and carefully review the jump starting procedure.

Had pretty much the same symptoms as you on our MS when it was only 60 days old. Had a lithium booster pack and even with the correct voltage, could not pop the frunk. Car ran perfectly until that point in time. HV battery was at 100% when we left the house as we planned a longer trip, got to destination with about 60% left, parked the car and about 3 hours later went back to continue but car would not move and had low voltage errors. Car was towed by Tesla to a service centre where the problem was repaired however it did take almost a week.

Turns out pin #7 on the X930 harness/connector was corroded. Problem was rectified and no related issues to this event after 2 years now.

My 5-day-old 2022 MPY died in my garage with 500 miles on it. Turns out it was a bad batch of a wiring harness (pins in a cannon plug were damaged). I was told it affected a few hundred cars. Due to a comedy of errors it took 8 days to get it fixed. But they did give me a Model X P90D with unlocked Ludicrous mode.
IJwZIvL.jpg

My neighbors were impressed, from my initial call to Tesla roadside assistance to them hauling it away was ONE HOUR.

• Informative
Reactions: Resist and ATPMSD