Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add me to the list of PTC failures…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday started as a no good very bad day. I got out to my garage at 6:30 am ready to head to work and am greeted by a “vehicle may not restart” error on the screen. I also note that the car did not charge overnight. I sit down and try to back out of the driveway and sure enough, the car won’t start. I try a few reboots and…nothing. There are a slew of error messages but it’s clear the car is dead.

My 12V battery is 7 months old (OEM Tesla) so I don’t think it’s that.

I call in to work to cancel my schedule and call a tow. I’ve got 97,000 miles on the car so no Tesla warranty for me.

The cool thing was that in the app, my local SC had a 9:15 appointment available, so I book it and the tow truck was able to drop it off there at 8:45.

End result is that it was both a bad PTC and a failed 12v. I can’t help but think that something about my car’s particular failure mode took out the 12V battery but I’m not sure how that would have happened.

Major Kudos to the Golden Valley MN SC for fixing my vehicle the same day. They warrantied the 12V battery and I had a brand new PTC installed. Cost $963. Cost of tow: $268.

While it really sucks that my car failed and I needed a tow, this was the first major repair that my 3 needed ever so I’m totally OK with it. I’ve gone 97k miles with no oil changes, no brake jobs, saved almost $30k in fuel over that time period and had a major car failure where I got the car back the same day for a little over $1k out of pocket. That doesn’t suck.

So add me to the list of folks with a dead PTC but when I big picture this and think about my total Tesla experience, it’s definitely a glass is half full situation.

What is a PTC?
Got this from a Google search.
1000029594.jpg

Ha, you must've searched and found the exact same reddit post.
Yup! From that post I went down a rabbits hole, diving into all things PTC. It certainly appears that this part has a high failure rate, and it’s one of those things, coming from ICE cars that rarely fails and when it does it certainly won’t disable the car. Because it behaves so differently compared to the ICE experience, if figured it might be a good discussion item on this forum.

Reactions: zoomer0056
good question. I don’t drive “typical” ICE cars. Never have. Never will. The cars I drive are modded out muscle cars that get 12 mpg and use premium fuel. I’m not aware of a 25mpg ICE car that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds like my M3P but if you know of one, I’d be interested in that.

97K miles at 12 mpg where premium fuel costs $4.29 per gallon (it’s more than that currently )= $35k in fuel.

My off peak charging plan (which I use 99% of the time) is 2.8 cents/kwh, which equates to roughly $900/ year in electricity.

So doing the math for me and my personal driving habits, my M3P has saved me roughly $30K in fuel. If historically you drove a Prius, your savings would be dramatically different. But that’s not me.