Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced PTC from Gen 1 to Gen 3. Now have a white error message.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day all,

I have a 2014 MS. My cabin heater stopped working this November and, after some research, found out the PTC module often short-circuit the fuses in the DC-DC converter. I ordered a Gen 3 PTC and installed it. The position is the same in the car, the connector also fits despite being quite shorter than the older version. After restarting the car, I now have an error message. I didn't change the fuses as the DC-DC converter I saw in the videos and posts is not the same as mine (mine is located behind the frunk plastic trim as opposed to behind the passenger wheel).
Do you know if there is an extra module in the Gen 3 PTC that tells the MCU when its not receiving current to work?

What's the error code? If it's a version mismatch - all you need to do is update the car.

Did changing the PTC fix your issues?
I have a 2013 Model S P85 and my PTC heater is not working. It is the original generation 1 heater. I checked the heater 40A fuse on the DC/DC converter and I get continuity so it appears the fuse is fine and the problem is the PTC heater. I am thinking about ordering a generation 3 PTC heater and replacing it myself. I am wondering if any software update is required if I change from the generation 1 to generation PTC heater. Does anybody know ? If a software update is needed, is this something I can do myself? Thanks !!

I have a 2013 Model S P85 and my PTC heater is not working. It is the original generation 1 heater. I checked the heater 40A fuse on the DC/DC converter and I get continuity so it appears the fuse is fine and the problem is the PTC heater. I am thinking about ordering a generation 3 PTC heater and replacing it myself. I am wondering if any software update is required if I change from the generation 1 to generation PTC heater. Does anybody know ? If a software update is needed, is this something I can do myself? Thanks !!

I don't think you necessarily need the update but you will get an error code without it. You can force the update yourself though so it isn't an issue, that's what I did.

Hi JSD17,

Thanks for your reply. How do I force the software update if I get the error code?

Go to the software screen, hold the Tesla icon, it’ll ask you for a password - which is service

From there you can request an update, request a full update and then just leave the car for a bit until you get a notification on your app or in the car and install it like any other update