Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

269,000 Mile 2013 MS with No Blower and Codes from Service Menu and Veering When Accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening everybody,

My name is Randy and I am a YouTuber (Auto Auction Rebuilds) with 430,000 subscribers and the new owner of a 2013 Tesla MS p85 that I just won from an auction for $7,800. This car has 269,000 miles and I'm excited to get it sorted out with your help. I spoke with the previous owner (1 owner car) tonight and he was very helpful. He informed me this car had 1 motor under warranty replaced, and the HV battery was replaced by Tesla with an upgraded 90kWh battery about 1 year ago at a cost to him of $12,000. (He also informed me this was a clerical error and they wanted over $15K for the battery but were forced to honor the initial quote). He told me while he was waiting for his new MSLR to arrive after trading this in for $6500 to Tesla the heater blower went out. The blower motor and resistor were replaced by a 3rd party (used eBay parts) and this did not resolve the blower issue. I since dove into the DC/DC inverter and found continuity between all the relative + and - leads. I can feel heat from the vents when the car is moving although it's very little. The fan does not operate at any speed. Doing research I've seen people replace the DC/DC inverter and / or the PTC unit. I have checked all fuses in the 3 fuse boxes under the hood, all of the fuses on top of the 12v battery, and all are good. I'm posting my codes below to get some help from the experts in getting this car back to where it needs to be. My last "big" issue is a strange swerving when accelerating or decelerating. It feels as if the rear end is moving ever so slightly when I hit the throttle, and when i let off the throttle. When accelerating the car will swerve one direction slightly, then when regen kicks in it will swerve the opposite direction. It's worse on wet roads lol. Any ideas as to what can cause this? It does not feel steering related but more like something in the rear is not right at all. I'm assuming worn bushings in the control arms or links. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm always willing to learn and tear into things.

IMG_4807.JPG

You have ptc code, very likely ur heater is dead
Blower should be easy to test, unplug it n give it 12v directly
Schematics are free at service.tesla.com, just register

You might have broken rear arm...
Lift the car n check it out..

• Informative
Reactions: Yelobird
You have ptc code, very likely ur heater is dead
Blower should be easy to test, unplug it n give it 12v directly
Schematics are free at service.tesla.com, just register

You might have broken rear arm...
Lift the car n check it out..
Blower is now directly wired (with a 25 amp fuse) to a toggle switch and works great. Heat and a/c both work now so it'll get me by. The blower has one speed now - HIGH lol. I ordered a new PTC in hopes that is the issue with the blower motor not working when plugged into the car's harness. I noticed there is 14v on the stock 25A fuse where power feeds the circuit, but with the fuse removed the other side shows 5v which should not be the case. Something has shorted somewhere. Almost seems like a 5v reference signal has crossed into the power side of the blower fan fuse. The question is where.

My last "big" issue is a strange swerving when accelerating or decelerating. It feels as if the rear end is moving ever so slightly when I hit the throttle, and when i let off the throttle. When accelerating the car will swerve one direction slightly, then when regen kicks in it will swerve the opposite direction. It's worse on wet roads lol. Any ideas as to what can cause this? It does not feel steering related but more like something in the rear is not right at all. I'm assuming worn bushings in the control arms or links. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm always willing to learn and tear into things. View attachment 1007006
The swerving is almost certainly being caused by the rear toe arms. Either worn out bushings or undertorqued inner bolts.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors