Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Please! 2015 P85D won't drive, isolation faults, replaced battery heater, still dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm in need of help. I have a 2015 P85D (March 2015, P69xxx) that has recently gotten the dreaded "Unable to start vehicle – Service is required" error.

QUICK TL;DR: iso faults, BMS_f151 & BMS_w142, towed to service who said battery coolant heater, but then it drove, but then errored again, so I replaced 1009508, still have errors, now won't drive again. Okay, back to the super-verbose version, except the part where the service center hit my quarter panel and told me that HV things can run off 12v. :rolleyes:

I put it in service mode, went through the errors, and checked the HV state. The relevant items in the list was as follows:
  • BMS_w151_SW_external_isolation (Vehicle may not restart – Service is required)
  • BMS_w035_SW_Isolation (Vehicle may not restart – Service is required)
  • BMS_f151_SW_external_isolation (Unable to start vehicle – Service is required)
  • BMS_w142_SW_Isolation_Degradation (BMS detects HV isolation contractor closed below the warning threshold)
  • and a whole bunch of subsequent resultant warnings about the 12v no longer getting charged, load shedding, etc

• Then later, I get DIS_w166_hvilOutOfBounds (Drive Inverter Slave Warning HVIL out of bounds)
I made an appointment for service and was told to get it towed in (on my own dime, even if it was a covered HVB/DU item). I popped the nose cone off and put a charger on the now low 12v battery and finally was able to get it into tow mode. Despite me having been trying to get them to diagnose HV issues up front while it was still in warranty (CPO warranty was good til May 2023, but miled out in Oct) they say it's unrelated.

After a week and a half, they diagnose a battery coolant heater isolation fault. Surprised, since I supercharge (and nav to sc) nearly every day, and since the inverter's been making noise, and it's been torrential raining, and ultimately the DIS_w166_hvilOutOfBounds, I was super suspicious. They said that when it arrived it drove fine, they ran a drive test, and that in the logs the iso dropped when they engaged the heater. The tech said they measured the heater's isolation at "200mohms" [sic? maybe meant kohms?].

Since I was suspicious, and they wanted $1600 to try to fix it, and they said the car drove fine, I declined service and took the car back. That day, the car was fine, up until I navigated to a supercharger. At that point, the "Vehicle may not restart" warning popped up, and service mode had isolation varying, sometimes 5100kohms, most often 1600-1800kohms, and as low as 600kohms. Now I'm thinking, "damn, they WERE right" so I stopped nav'ing and drove to a different service center while the car was still running. They looked at it and said that it seemed like the right diagnosis, but they wanted to diagnose it themselves since the DIS_hvil didn't fit with the rest and wasn't able to get to it for 2 weeks. Since the car was still moving (albeit in limp mode, 100kw max, 0 regen) I said I'd try replacing the coolant heater and get back to them.

I got a 1009508-00-B off eBay (mine was an -E rev) and proceeded to replace it. I did do a couple 12v+HVIL resets just to make sure, but they didn't do anything. I checked the old heater first, and got >6Mohms iso (as high as my multimeter goes) so again, still suspicious, but it's not a megger. With the new part plugged in (but not plumbed in yet), it seems I no longer had the error, so yay. I finish up removing the old one, getting the coolant lines and brackets all swapped over, and try again. Still good, no current warnings, though the car is still giving recent errors and is still in limp mode. I do a few more resets, still no clearing errors. I figure I should test everything so I cycle Insane+ to get the heater going, I crank it up to HI to get the PTC going, drive forward and backwards a few inches, all good. Then I slide the temp to LO and boom, errors like crazy again. Could be coincidental, but seems unlikely, even though the A/C always blew cold, it did "clunk" on startup hard enough to sound like someone hit the car sometimes.

So, now, it's back in its "refuse to drive" mood. I wish I had the diag dummy plugs so I could bypass everything past the FJB to rule them all out. I'm super hesitant to jam a paperclip in the HVIL plugs since, you know, 400v of flesh cooking death so I probably won't do that. I suppose I could open up the FJB but it's WAY down there and I'm not that much of a contortionist. At this point, I'm just trying to get it started to I don't have to flatbed it AGAIN. I've started looking into some way to reset codes (this post? I'm getting various BMS errors, and my model S won't go into Drive (D) or Reverse (R) and maybe Savvy-CAN or something?) but I feel like I'm hitting a wall of what I can do before Friday afternoon (have an international flight and would like the car to either be in service or fixed).

Any thoughts? Thanks so much in advance.

Just to confirm. Currently contactors not closing and 12v battery go flat pretty quickly? If so, of course have to chase down which HV client is causing the fault.

HV diagnostic process is a pain, any break in HVIL serial loop or HV client problems can disable HV battery output. And if errors+alerts don't point the way, then its all tools like dummy HV client plugs, megohmmeter, Tesla diag tools that can bypass/snoop/isolate subsystems to divide and conquer to find the fault. Since DIYers don't have these, turns into a time consuming guessing game.

I recently encountered a contactor not closing problem without useful errors. Randomly unplugged and replugged the coolant heater (I'm on gen1 DCDC) and all faults went way. My theory is just scrapped for fresh contact surfaces after some corrosion (2 days after a car wash) Proceeded to spray clean all front HV connectors with contact cleaner as a preventive. You might give that a try. Also you can hear what my failing contactors sounded like. It wasn't no contactor clicking but rather sounded a lot fainter than the usual. Made some analysis on why I heard what I heard in relation to the 3 contactors in the HV pack. Might be useful to you

13 MS 85 can't go into drive, recent LDU rebuild, some clues from clicking sounds | Tesla Motors Club

Your 2015 is gen2 DCDC FJB. But I wouldn't say water ingress issue has been solved compared to gen1 DCDC. Recently studied MS windshield runoff pathway, quite intrusive towards the front bulkhead/firewall area. I'd guess gen2 DCDC/FJB see some moisture as well.

Sounds like if you don't have the time, then have to leave it with Tesla for their techs to find the fault...

Last edited:
Thanks Howard, yours was definitely one of the many many threads I pored over for knowledge. And yes, it does sound like only the precharge contactor is closing, definitely not the full contactor. The HVIL loop is definitely intact because the car definitely knows when the first responder loop is out. It's definitely an isolation problem, but as you correctly state, it's hunting in the dark without tools. The car does check every startup (and several times after) but I'm guessing the theory of operation is that it checks isolation while only the precharge contactors are closed and it's still seeing iso faults preventing the mains from closing.

At this point, I just want it to get powered up (even in limp mode) so I don't have to tow it again. Maybe I'll jumper the whole FJB since it doesn't have one of the 60Ω resistors in the loop (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10052449-4313.pdf). Now that I think of it, maybe the problem *is* in the FJB since while both the new and old coolant heaters ohm'd correctly (34Ω and 36Ω) neither seemed to get warm when engaged.

In any case, anybody know if there's any way to clear the BMS codes without Toolbox? I tried the 12v+HVIL reset several times (and left it disconnected so as to not kill the 12v battery) but no luck. =(

Thanks Howard, yours was definitely one of the many many threads I pored over for knowledge. And yes, it does sound like only the precharge contactor is closing, definitely not the full contactor. The HVIL loop is definitely intact because the car definitely knows when the first responder loop is out. It's definitely an isolation problem, but as you correctly state, it's hunting in the dark without tools. The car does check every startup (and several times after) but I'm guessing the theory of operation is that it checks isolation while only the precharge contactors are closed and it's still seeing iso faults preventing the mains from closing.

Agreed. I think no contactors will fire if HVIL is broken. Can't confirm it anywhere but just based on theory of operations. I guess the sequence is something like this

1. BMS checks HVIL loop intact
2. Fire - contactor
3. Fire precharge contactor
4. Check current draw, maybe wait to see if any CANBUS errors reported by HV clients that speak on CANBUS (drive units) If fail, retry step 3-4 a few times. Wait a couple of hours. Restart at step1. Maybe prompted by lower 12V reading to try and close contactors to charge the 12V.
5. If all okay, fire + contactor

You are probably stuck between 3-4 where I was. My post recorded a sequence of contactor sounds from the battery (confirmed not junction box contactors under the rear seat) and provided the hints to theory of 1-5 steps above. But yeah, it's hunting in the dark without tools.

At this point, I just want it to get powered up (even in limp mode) so I don't have to tow it again. Maybe I'll jumper the whole FJB since it doesn't have one of the 60Ω resistors in the loop (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10052449-4313.pdf). Now that I think of it, maybe the problem *is* in the FJB since while both the new and old coolant heaters ohm'd correctly (34Ω and 36Ω) neither seemed to get warm when engaged.

Unfortunately, the coolant heater is not going to provide a heat signature to confirm operation because the way Tesla warms up batteries. Did a recent test to confirm this. In general, Tesla firmware prefers to use LDU stator heat to warm the batteries slowly rather than spending energy (losing range) by using the coolant heater. This can take an hour before gaining full regen. If defrost cycle is in full blast, coolant heater will come on quicker. But not something you can do with HV disabled. Here is the full thread discussion on this

So unfortunately, you didn't have a chance to tell if either heater was functional by heat signature. Did above study to help a guy that thought his coolant heater was bad (full regen seems to never enable) but turns out just didn't drive long enough to regain regen by slow stator heating in the winter months.

However, per your thought process.. how to decide if FJB is the problem?

=====

Since this area of fault finding is like a wild goose chase wo Tesla tools. Here are some thoughts

Your last errors appeared when turning on AC. Might consider just unplug and replug AC/DCDC/cabin heater on FJB so all connectors have fresh metal contact points (do this with HV disabled with first responder loop of course)

While HV is disabled, might remove the B+ B- cover from the LDU to see if any signs of coolant in the inverter. No error codes point in this direction but an easy check. CANBUS connectors and the cover can be a little difficult to remove.

Not sure what explains the loud sounds you heard on startup. Could be + contactors closing (louder than - and precharge) but you've heard this many times. The other potential loud impact sound noise source is the brake vacuum pump below the frunk when first step on brake. Some say this is a sign of failing pump.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I did inspect and reseat all 4 plugs on the FJB this morning, all clean, all reseated well, no change. Loud sound from compressor wasn't at car startup, it was just sometimes. I'd often notice it about halfway through supercharging. Could be totally unrelated though. As for trying to engage the coolant heater, I put the car in Insane+ mode which should do the trick. Navigating to a supercharger should do the same, but only if you're close enough (which I’m not). In any case, my current hypothesis is that the FJB is bad and probably has blown fuses and I'm trying to steel myself for the contortions required to get there. Good tip on the drive unit speed sensor check, I'd considered checking, but wasn't in the mood to pull all the aero shields. Maybe a quick jacking detour is in order...

Good tip on the drive unit speed sensor check, I'd considered checking, but wasn't in the mood to pull all the aero shields. Maybe a quick jacking detour is in order...

Just to clarify, wasn't suggesting speed sensor (facing driver side rear tire) check but might as well if you are checking B+ B- cover (facing the passenger rear tire) for evidence of coolant drops.

Read the section titled "Checking Inverter for Coolant Presence" and I also provided tips on how to pry out the speed sensor safely without disconnecting its connector or damage the o-rings.

And sorry to hear such a wild goose chase. Tesla doesn't make it easy for DIYers...

Spoke to a nearby member that used a megohmmeter to find his HV isolation fault. Here is what to do

- Have a megohmmeter. Like $400-$500 new but cheaper is find used of course
- Start at the junction box under rear seat. This is where the junction for battery, charger, rear drive unit, and HV cable to front of the car is located. So its a good place to find out where path is the low HV isolation. If its the front, then obviously check all the FJB's HV clients

So thats the key tool and process of dividing the HV system. Of course do this only with all HV safety precautions.

You've probably seen this. Here is the full HV cabling path and junctions for the dual motor

Understanding the Tesla Model S Power Electronic Components - YouTube

Well, I couldn't find a megaohmmeter on short notice, so what I did was disconnect the HV pair that go to the front at the rear junction box under the seat. Closed the rear box back up and turned the car on. Same result (and no add'l errors).

To me, this means that since the HVIL loop is closed, but there's no way for HV to leak from the FJB or its downstream clients, the iso fault must be in the back.

Not a totally scientific test, but if the FJB isn't getting high voltage, it can't leak high voltage. I suppose I could start disconnecting chargers, etc, but I think I'm ready to just get it towed before Tesla claims I broke something.

Well, I couldn't find a megaohmmeter on short notice, so what I did was disconnect the HV pair that go to the front at the rear junction box under the seat. Closed the rear box back up and turned the car on. Same result (and no add'l errors).

To me, this means that since the HVIL loop is closed, but there's no way for HV to leak from the FJB or its downstream clients, the iso fault must be in the back.

Not a totally scientific test, but if the FJB isn't getting high voltage, it can't leak high voltage. I suppose I could start disconnecting chargers, etc, but I think I'm ready to just get it towed before Tesla claims I broke something.

Sounds reasonable diagnostic. Did you hear pre-charge contactors closing? If so, it should indicate HVIL loop is closed.

Since you have LDU in the back, might do a mid aero pan pull and check speed sensor and inverter orange cover for coolant presence. Here is my complete write up on that (checking my speed sensor every couple of weeks to monitor LDU seal leak status post rebuild to gather statistics for the community)

Yep, definitely suspicious of water/coolant intrusion back there. Since I'm still under battery and DU warranty, I'm comfortable having relegated the problem to the back of the car. I've ruled out the BS about the front so now I can defend my "no, I'm not giving you $1600 to NOT fix it" stance.

At this point, I'm gonna do my best to get a new pack and DU if there's a way to convince them. Alexa just told me my CAN adapter just arrived, so time to go sniffing that way 😉

Yep, definitely suspicious of water/coolant intrusion back there. Since I'm still under battery and DU warranty, I'm comfortable having relegated the problem to the back of the car. I've ruled out the BS about the front so now I can defend my "no, I'm not giving you $1600 to NOT fix it" stance.

At this point, I'm gonna do my best to get a new pack and DU if there's a way to convince them. Alexa just told me my CAN adapter just arrived, so time to go sniffing that way 😉
I thought you indicated somewhere in the above thread that you mileaged out of the DU/Bat warranty last October?

I'm assuming 12V was being externally charged full when front HV cable was disconnected from rear junction box? Maybe BMS look for front motor CANBUS data packets before closing the contactors. Just a thought, have no idea all the events before final + contactor close.

I'm assuming 12V was being externally charged full when front HV cable was disconnected from rear junction box? Maybe BMS look for front motor CANBUS data packets before closing the contactors. Just a thought, have no idea all the events before final + contactor close.
Would be a cool test on a working car 😜

There are HV connectors the car don't need connected to drive (if you place dummy's) not sure if it needs power to FJB but I don't think so as long as ILK is intact so cool theory

Reactions: howardc64

What about removing HV cables to LDU? Guess if theory is correct contactors will engage. If HV pack has isolation issues I assume you would get an internal isolation fault?

Hi folks, sorry for the disappearance there for a bit, and thanks again for the help. An update:
  • On Friday, I had a tow lined up through AAA, but they took 4 1/2 hours to get there despite them saying they were "10 minutes away". Yeah, dude, I see you on your little map driving AWAY from my house on a 150 mile round trip journey. I had an international flight, so had to cancel.
  • Set it back up for Monday, someone comes out, we push the car out of the garage and roll it down the hill and onto the flatbed. As we're finishing up strapping it down, I disconnect the 12v battery... and notice... THE LIGHTS STAY ON. Sure enough, just wiggling the car around makes it go into drive. Sigh. Since it's loaded up already, and I've already paid for the tow, I let them take it.
  • Tesla service gets the car into the shop (in drive 😖) and nicely does diagnose the DU as needing replacement due to water intrusion.
  • BUT! They also diagnose a full short (presumably to ground, not across B+ & B-) on the cable from the HVJB in the rear to the FRONT drive unit.
  • They replaced the RDU first at my request (since that's covered) but still the car needs the cable. On eBay, it's pretty expensive, and TBH, I abhor fishing wires, and since the lead tech that called me is so cool, I say go ahead, but I'd like my old cable back intact. As of now, we're waiting for parts.
On a side note, they meg'd both my old coolant heater and new one, and they're both fine. They guy was awesome, he was seemingly both mildly horrified that the car was brought in all taken apart and also rather amused saying "so, do you work at Tesla? how do you know all this stuff?". Really cool dude.

So now, we wait.

I thought you indicated somewhere in the above thread that you mileaged out of the DU/Bat warranty last October?
nope, my bumper to bumper CPO warranty mileaged out in Oct when I hit 80k, would have been good til May (I've had the car almost 4 years). The DU/Batt warranty is up in March (presumably 8 years after the car was 1st purchased).

I'm assuming 12V was being externally charged full when front HV cable was disconnected from rear junction box?
Yep yep, while connected to the car, I had two 6A chargers on there continuously to keep up with the load. At one point, I also had a big ol' 800CCA battery in the loop as well just to make sure, especially since I had a low 12v HVIL in the slave inverter error at one point, but I think that was ultimately just the water in there.

Maybe BMS look for front motor CANBUS data packets before closing the contactors. Just a thought, have no idea all the events before final + contactor close.
The front motor isn't connected to the FJB, it's connected directly to the rear HVJB (with the cable that is getting replaced going up the left side of the car). The cable I disconnected is on the other side of the HVJB and is much smaller gauge and goes up the RH side of the car. As for disconnecting HV to the drive unit(s) and seeing if the car will start, I'm not sure, I assumed no since I'm sure there would be a giant slew of other errors. It *might* turn on the accessory rail, who knows. Probably something I'll only explore if something like this happens in the future.

Would be a cool test on a working car 😜

There are HV connectors the car don't need connected to drive (if you place dummy's) not sure if it needs power to FJB but I don't think so as long as ILK is intact so cool theory
Exactly my thought! I'm very tempted to design and 3D print some dummy plugs for next time...

That's the big difference between gen1 and gen2 dual motor front HVJB. Gen2 front HVJB also supplies front motor with HVDC.
You sure about that? The gen 1 FJB has the DCDC converter built in (that weird shaped one). The gen 2 is up against the firewall/bulkhead and is separate to the DCDC. I didn't think either of them had wires to the front motor. In fact, didn't the gen 1 predate dual motor cars?

Ahh, I think you're talking about nose cone vs facelift? I found this reference: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163735-9999.pdf

In any case, I certainly have the 2nd gen FJB (the box shaped one, not the artist palette shaped one) and I certainly don't have motor wires going to it. The cable looks like this: 1050805-01-D | Tesla OEM Parts | Products | 057 Technology and goes right from the rear 2nd gen HVJB to the front motor.

If you need to pay for that cable you can ask it back to do some measurements yourself.
Yep, I said exactly that when I approved the repair. Worst case, I can sell just the fuse part and keep the actual cable to use with some Anderson connectors for other projects. =)

Good luck and hopefully you have your car back in no time
Thanks man!

You sure about that? The gen 1 FJB has the DCDC converter built in (that weird shaped one). The gen 2 is up against the firewall/bulkhead and is separate to the DCDC. I didn't think either of them had wires to the front motor. In fact, didn't the gen 1 predate dual motor cars?

Well, it's almost a study

First there was the oldschool (sort of oval?) DC/DC with integrated HV distributor. Tesla calls it a gen1 DC/DC converter

1675494083556.png

Then there was the gen1 FJB (without HV cable to front drive unit) could be RWD or dual motor

1675494194542.png

And now comes with a separate DC/DC and this is called a gen2 DC/DC

1675494466074.png

Then they developed the gen2 FJB (with the fun reversed cover, ask @Cheburashka
With this FJB it also supplies front SDU for DC

1675494952318.png

1675495421965.png

This system has also a slight updated DC/DC they call gen3 DC/DC

1675496051589.png

Ahh, I think you're talking about nose cone vs facelift? I found this reference: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163735-9999.pdf

In any case, I certainly have the 2nd gen FJB (the box shaped one, not the artist palette shaped one) and I certainly don't have motor wires going to it. The cable looks like this: 1050805-01-D | Tesla OEM Parts | Products | 057 Technology and goes right from the rear 2nd gen HVJB to the front motor.

Yep, I said exactly that when I approved the repair. Worst case, I can sell just the fuse part and keep the actual cable to use with some Anderson connectors for other projects. =)

Thanks man!
Any update? My car had a string of errors today BMS_f008_HW_HVIL being the one I got before the computer shut off. I had it towed to tesla, now I’m puckering waiting to see how much they’re gonna charge me.