Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD 2022 Drive Unit Failure Pyrofuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just going to share my experience of having to contact roadside assistance on 06/04/2024 ~4pm for a Model 3 RWD 2022, odometer ~21k.

I was on autopilot on an A road at 60mph when suddenly autopilot disengaged and the screen spewed a load of messages about pulling over safely, having no drive and needing to service the car.

I managed to coast through a roundabout onto a small road and put the vehicle into park. I then opened up the service menu and saw an error in the HV section, showing the Pyrofuse had blown and needed to be replaced. The car stopped at 3:30pm and in about 15minutes, the LV battery was down to 0 charge and the entire car was dead.

On the app, I requested roadside assistance but also ended up calling roadside direct. The rep was quick to acknowledge the issue and immediately called for a tow to recover the vehicle to the nearest service centre (Nottingham). The rep also emailed me a link to £70 Uber credit so I could get a passenger home and also booked me a rental vehicle with Enterprise.

The tow vehicle arrived at about 6:15pm and loaded up the car onto the bed.

Enterprise called me at about the same time to let me know a rental was available to pick up at East Midlands Airport, so I made my way there and was given a brand new 24 plate Mercedes CLA 180 at around 7:30pm.

All in all a good experience with roadside assistance, being able to sort the recovery, Uber credits and rental car in 4 hours. I had to make a lot of phone calls to make sure I was on top of things but the Tesla roadside rep was on point with answering every question I had.

My number one tip if anybody else has a drive issue and knows the battery will be dead: Keep the doors open so you're not locked in/out of the vehicle when the LV battery dies. The only issue is if the LV battery dies when the door is opened, the window won't close again.

Now I await to see what servicing the car needs and will provide an update when it comes..

20240406_153152~2.jpg