Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tip on opening MCU2 charge port when car is sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
As I just sold my last of my 4 Model S's, I remembered I've been meaning to share a tip with the community, just never got around to it. On our MCU1 Model S'es we could always open the charge port when the car is locked by just pressing the charging handle button. However, with MCU2 MS I noticed that if I hit the charging handle button while the car has been off for a while, it took well over a minute for the car to wake up first before it would allow me to open the charge port by pressing the button again. Opening via app was just as slow, as it required the car to wake up. HOWEVER, a quick way to open it was to press the charge port door first, then hit the charging handle button, and car car would just open the port. If you hit the charge handle button first though, hitting the charge port door no longer helped. Somehow, hitting the port door caused the charge port to wake up first and start waking the car, but if the car is already waking up, charge port door press is just ignored.

I hope it helps people who want to plug their cars in while they are already locked for a while.

Last edited: