Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I like my car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case it gets lost in the negativity around here lately. I kinda like my car. I'd get another someday.
Now that I've gotten a new drive unit, despite all the annoying squeaks and rattles, I'm in the same boat... pry it from my cold, dead hands... a road trip to Asheville and back last weekend to see Bruce Hornsby and Blues Traveler... and we took the scenic route up through 985 and clayton, etc.. this car is SO MUCH fun in the mountains... i'm ready to go back already

Great thread! I, too am loving my MS. I am also a very lucky guy. I bought the P85+ in the summer of 2014. Factory delivery was 9/30/14. It was the fastest car Tesla made for about 2 weeks, then they introduced the P85D. Yes I did miss out on the dual motor configuration. But the last week of September 2014 was when they began installing AutoPilot hardware on all vehicles. So I have a P85+ with AutoPilot. I love it! In NorCal i don't NEED the AWD since no snow. Sure I probably would have gotten it, but hey its okay. Glad to have AutoPilot and I didn't even know about it when I ordered.

Just in case it gets lost in the negativity around here lately. I kinda like my car. I'd get another someday.

I like your car too. Counting the days until I get my own (on days my wife lets me drive it).

I would refer to the Tesla as a "halo" car for EV's. When I volunteer at our Drive Electric events and the Teslas are there, we get lots more foot traffic and interest. People are truly fascinated by them and are even willing to take a drive in a lowly LEAF, C-Max or Volt after the Tesla just to learn more about EVs. Even non-car people know they are in the presence of something special when "the precious" are there. On top of that, the Tesla employees we meet are so very nice and accomodating. I can't wait to work with them on my own purchase.

I still love my LEAF, but the Tesla is in it's own vehicular category.

I love both my Teslas...and I love this thread!! No person and no company is perfect, and Tesla does make mistakes now and then, but I've been getting tired of all the negativity around here lately. Yes, some things need fixing but we can also enjoy what we've already got.
This is a perfectly fine way to express that sentiment, while the labels used in the post below are pretty much over-the-top in my opinion.
I am getting really tired of listening the whiney, selfish, more literal than an eight year old malcontents, constantly picking nits...it's a great car, but nothing is perfect...nothing! get over it!

As one of those people who recently created a whiney, selfish thread, I think LetsGoFast hit the nail on the head here. Bolding is mine.

I'm sort of neither camp. I too get fatigued reading the endless negativity and have some concerns that prospective buyers will come away with the impression that everyone has the pitchforks out, but I also recognize that the complaints have merit and have been ignored by Tesla and that people can legitimately feel upset that they didn't get what they expected. I'd like this thread a lot better if it was focused on how much we love the car and less on how we feel about other posters.

I love my car, but I'm very unhappy about everything I've had to get done to it and ultimately, having to pay for some of these repairs out of pocket! It's bad enough to experience the problems in the first place, but having to then foot the bill for the repair adds insult to injury.

Even with all these problems, I still help organize local Tesla enthusiast events and participate in EV event (parades, NDEW, advertising drive electric on my car), but I've had to let others do talking about the company to avoid being too negative. So I focus on the car and let other owners speak about their experiences with the organization.

My experience with buying a Tesla CPO car has been very good. It is a great car and Tesla has fixed everything that I found wrong with it. The cost to me has been zero dollars every time.

Why?....the overwhelming majority of P85D owners are more than satisfied with the performance of their cars....in a quarter mile, it beats the crap outta practically all other vehicles...

Gallery | Race the Runway 2015

I sympathize since they did not receive what they thought they purchased based on Tesla's own claims and marketing. Whether or not a majority of folks are satisfied with the performance of their P85D is a different issue than being upset about not getting what they felt like they were promised and paid for.

But, I'm very happy! :)

I love both my Teslas...and I love this thread!! No person and no company is perfect, and Tesla does make mistakes now and then, but I've been getting tired of all the negativity around here lately. Yes, some things need fixing but we can also enjoy what we've already got.

Definitely agree. With all their mistakes they still managed to hit a grand slam on their first car and have slowly improved on that over the last 3 years. No other auto manufacturer in the world could have pulled off what they did. They could if they wanted to but they are stuck in the past and frozen in place with their dealerships.

There is nothing wrong with calling Tesla out when they mess up but sometimes a little perspective is needed. Agree on that.

Definitely agree. With all their mistakes they still managed to hit a grand slam on their first car and have slowly improved on that over the last 3 years. No other auto manufacturer in the world could have pulled off what they did. They could if they wanted to but they are stuck in the past and frozen in place with their dealerships.

There is nothing wrong with calling Tesla out when they mess up but sometimes a little perspective is needed. Agree on that.

To add to that, this car started shipping for real less than three years ago. Look at how many advancements they've made in a really short time. Any other model of car would have had the same level of change over 5 years or more. Power improvements, all-wheel drive, etc. etc. etc.

I'm pretty damn happy with my car as well -- nothing else on the road I'd like to own currently (except maybe a P90D with P85+ handling). I'll be the outsider here though, and say there's nothing wrong with being happy with some things and speaking out on others. It's not a binary situation.

I would like to sincerely thank the original poster for starting this thread, it's way overdue.

When I was a teenager cars were a big deal, but at the time I could never relate to my friends' obsession with them. In particular I found all those popular songs in the '60's that extolled the virtues of cars as somewhat juvenile. Yes, I grew up totally indifferent to cars and I never would have imagined that now that I'm supposably a "grown-up" I would ever say it, ... but yes, I do fervently love my Model S, even with her few warts. :redface:

I must confess I have a love-hate relationship with my navigation system. I have even affectionately named her "Miss Direction". :rolleyes:

I agree with all of the points quoted above. We can love and hate things about our Teslas, and we can and should, in a rationally manner, praise and constructively criticize aspects of our cars. However, what we can't lose sight of is our tone and how we treat one another.

No matter how passionately we feel about our cars and Tesla, its still just a car, a car company, and this is just an on-line forum. That is no excuse to reduce ourselves to negativity or to dispense with common courtesy and the social graces.

Larry

By the way, it's okay for me to make fun of my NAV system...but you can't. :mad:

the overwhelming majority of P85D owners are more than satisfied with the performance of their cars....
If you're going to assert, please post backing data.

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest problem with owning a Tesla vehicle is that there is no competition of interest to replace them if they fail as a company. As such, every significant misstep by the company is stressful. The best coping mechanism I know of for this stress is to make sure management (1) is aware of such missteps, (2) endeavors to correct them quickly and appropriately, and (3) avoids them in the future. Of those 3, only the first is something I can directly impact. I think others that have raised concerns feel similarly.

Working past the recent negativity on the forums there is continuing tangible evidence to support the statement that most Tesla owners love their cars.

Consumer Reports issued its annual car owner satisfaction survey, and Tesla Model S took top honors. The electric luxury sedan beat all other cars, winning a near-perfect customer satisfaction ranking. As the report put it: Lots of people love their cars. But as we've consistently seen in our yearly satisfaction ratings, the vehicles that inspire the strongest loyalty are ones that are fun to drive, deliver great fuel economy, are fashionably green, or envelop you in a high-tech, luxurious driving environment..

Would you buy your current car again? That’s a tough one, but it shows how satisfied a car owner is with his current set of wheels – and the Tesla Model S topped Consumer Reports’ survey for the second year in a row.

More specifically, 98 out of 100 Model S owners said that they would buy it again if they had to. That’s one less than in 2013 but, still, it’s a remarkable result: “Not only is the Tesla roomy, comfortable and a lot of fun to drive, but it also has low operating costs”, said Consumer Reports.

The Most (and Least) Loved Cars | Consumer Reports
[video]https://youtu.be/c1g2DRrwtz4[/video]

BREAKING NEWS::wink:
Tesla Model S P85D Breaks the Consumer Reports Ratings System

This is not an owner popularity score, but it sure helps most P85D owners stay happy that their car scored so high it broke Consumer Reports rating system.

Larry

Last edited:
Working past the recent negativity on the forums there is continuing tangible evidence to support the statement that most Tesla owners love their
Thanks Larry. Actual data showing 98% of Tesla owners would buy another Tesla. That is extremely impressive for a young car company and demonstrates that the small number of people who are vociferously complaining about Autopilot being late and advertised HP not being measured and promoted in the way they think is correct are not at all representative of the typical owner experience. While they complain, the other 98% are happily enjoying their cars and planning on buying another Tesla someday!

@ecarfan - the two are not mutually exclusive. Complaining and enjoying the car, that is. I've raised many issues here on the forums but would buy another Tesla in a heart beat if I had to.

Ditto. I actually almost hit a tree earlier and thought about what I'd do if the car were totalled. Well, get a new Model S of course and not worry about the crappy extended warranty since I'll be back at 0 miles :)

Self explanatory Brian...look at the number of folks who signed the letter, vs. those who haven't...not even close!
Wow. I'm not even sure the entire TMC membership is large enough to make that assertion about anything.

Also, there are many reasons not to sign the letter even if unsatisfied. At best you could only prove support for discontent from such a letter, rather than the reverse. You're assertion is kind of like saying "most people like sushi" just based on the signed replies to some forum post about sushi.

- - - Updated - - -

... almost hit a tree earlier ... back at 0 miles :)
Don't do it!

Don't do it!

Well it wasn't intentional! It was actually a (and this is funny since they pop up often on this forum) squirrel that I was playing the left and right dodge game with trying not to run over. Got a wee bit too close to the grass and there was a telephone pole (not a tree, my bad). Decided my car was more important than the nutter.

Yes this thread is good .... nothing wrong with pointing out issues people are having with an item .... were all assuming Tesla does look at and follow the comments ..... but this thread has bloomed into positive comments that we feel about out cars .... Yesterday I slide up to my magic machine ... it welcomed me by sliding out the door handles ..... I sat down and it adjusted to my ride and I silently backed out of my garage and slipped down the road..... what a pleasure!!!!! It just felt good!! ... as i navigated out and made the turns my body felt nothing but comfort and only by looking at the rear camera did I realize how far back the car behind me was as I did these effortless turns ..... they may have thought I was a speedster pushing my car ... in reality I was just mildly using its natural driving abilities .... I hit the interstate to find lines of cars and .... zip I was in the flow again effortlessly ..... and my smile became bigger .... and a short time later a blue Hemi pulled up beside me and gunned his loud obscene engine ..... sounded bad it did ...... he decided to mess with me further ..... and ... well lets just say as the past owner of a 396 Corvette, a 427 435 Corvette, three Porsche's the last a 930 Turbo ... I'm not shy about performance driving as he wondered where I went ... and as he lagged behind not wanting to come up beside me again ... my smile became bigger yet ..... being an older guys these days and having come from a Hummer H2 Special edition .... I love this car ..... I got the Hummer to haul around the kids band stuff years ago and kept it because I didn't see any car i wanted and a 2 seater just wouldn't work ..... along came the Tesla .... I have it all .. performance .... economy ..... a super car and that smile I had years ago back driving a sedan .... wow ...... I will have to force myself not to upgrade to the new fuse and Ludicrous mode ...... :) ... but I am on the notification list just in case ...... :) did you guys see the "The Oatmeal Comics" post on his owning a Tesla ... if not enjoy ... :) What it's like to own a Tesla Model S - A cartoonist's review of his magical space car - The Oatmeal