Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Highway Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
According to articles I've seen, the long range Model S gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 to 600 miles of range.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on where to find no BS reviews of EV range that includes Tesla Model S? This should be statistics that include and detail reasonable highway cruising speeds. Bonus if it includes both winter and summer data. None of that hypermiling garbage. No "See what happens to Tesla range when lifted and running on offroad mud tires while hauling a trailer!". No super fans. No EV haters. Like, you know, REAL information.

PS: I'm looking for more recent model information. I'm starting to look more closely at highway mileage, as someday I want to have one long range capable EV and one just for everything else EV. But it's annoyingly hard to find useful range information, as everyone either tries to paint these cars in the best possible light or the worst, neither of which are helpful.

PPS: I've come to the conclusion that EPA range estimates are stupid and useless. Sure, EPA, do your thing to calculate average efficiency. But if you are going to show range, around town is pointless useless garbage. Never once have I cared about my around town range. Only highway range matters. EPA range estimates should be 100% highway mileage, probably at around 70 MPH.

Last edited:
With superchargers so available now I am not concerned with range much anymore but in my 2020 Model S LR+ with 19” wheels I can regularly travel 300-320 miles using 90% of my battery on I-5 and 72mph(during the summer using AC). A 20 minute stop every 4 hours is pretty much what the family demand anyway. If it charged faster and used superchargers we could take my wife’s Bolt. It is the Electrifiy American system that complicates taking it anywhere

Could you point me to an article which indicates the model S gets 600 miles of range?

Joe

According to articles I've seen, the long range Model S gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 to 600 miles of range.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on where to find no BS reviews of EV range that includes Tesla Model S? This should be statistics that include and detail reasonable highway cruising speeds. Bonus if it includes both winter and summer data. None of that hypermiling garbage. No "See what happens to Tesla range when lifted and running on offroad mud tires while hauling a trailer!". No super fans. No EV haters. Like, you know, REAL information.

PS: I'm looking for more recent model information. I'm starting to look more closely at highway mileage, as someday I want to have one long range capable EV and one just for everything else EV. But it's annoyingly hard to find useful range information, as everyone either tries to paint these cars in the best possible light or the worst, neither of which are helpful.

PPS: I've come to the conclusion that EPA range estimates are stupid and useless. Sure, EPA, do your thing to calculate average efficiency. But if you are going to show range, around town is pointless useless garbage. Never once have I cared about my around town range. Only highway range matters. EPA range estimates should be 100% highway mileage, probably at around 70 MPH.

Reactions: cptnslo
i think one of those monitoring apps can have that data... like Teslafi or similar.. not sure if u need to have account to see it...
i believe Out Of Spec reviews on Youtube always do highway 70mph test...

but in my experience, u can get EPA (or very close to it) driving 65mph or below, without headwinds/rain/snow
then depending on model, u'll take hit for going faster..
mild cold weather isn't a big deal (50F n above)
cold weather takes like 25-30% hit on range
very cold or headwinds/rain/snow could get up to 50% hit...

The EPA range is largely useless but gives you a general idea of range going around 55-60mph I think. The average speed on that cycle I think is actually 48.3mph to be exact :) Why they use that as a highway speed is beyond me.
EPA Vs. WLTP EV Range Ratings: Here's Why They're DifferentInsideEVshttps://insideevs.com › Features › EV Education

Tesla uses the 5 cycle test I believe and does some allowed modifications to make the range even better (less realistic). It's allowed but the EPA should really come up with a more realistic testing method.

I think 4 numbers
City cycle at 32 and 85 degrees
Highway at 32 and 85 degrees (65mph non-stop)

would work.

• Informative
Reactions: PR0FESSOR
So I’ve got a 2021 Model S LR …. Averaging 278 wh/mile.

So let’s assume I’ve got about 90kWh available out of my battery.

That’s (90000/278) = 323 miles of real world range. Averaged across every condition and every drive, of course. Spread out over the last 12,000 miles or so - 12 months, so an entire year’s worth of seasons. (I did buy the ‘21 used.)

I’m not some YouTuber or blogger or anyone trying to make a name for myself with some crappy videos …. Just a guy who drives a Model S.

About as real world an average as you’ll get.

Happy holidays!

It's also an impossible question to answer with a single number. The answer is basically 'it depends'. People can give you a range you can expect in normal conditions at a constant speed but not over every temperature or other condition.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
So I’ve got a 2021 Model S LR …. Averaging 278 wh/mile.

About as real world an average as you’ll get.

Happy holidays!
I have with my 2016 70D with 19” stock wheels about 310 wh/mile (19kWh/100km) and I drive average of 12,000-15,000 km a year. My highway speed is around 65mph. In good and bad weather. I would say that headwind in stormy weather with freezing condition is equal to spirited summer driving above the 65mph speed. That’s with fifth winter in a row.

Part of what is annoying me is my EV range never being quite enough. Whatever EV I get, the range is always like 250-275 miles, and I would like to get something that realistically can get 350 some day. That would be the sweet spot. My experience is what leads me to this. I live in the Kansas City area, and I frequently make trips to either Columbia, St. Louis, and occasionally a few select other places in the state or in neighboring states. Without fail, the range of my EV is always not quite enough. For example, I can't round trip to Columbia. I always have to charge there. It's about 130 miles one way. That's 260 round trip, not including any around town driving. If there are zero hiccups and the weather is nice and I drive super carefully and if I'm happy getting home with 1% charge left, I can do the round trip. In other words, I can't do the round trip. Every trip I take is like this. Always 50 miles short of what is needed. After 7 years or so, it's just starting to irritate me.

I knew the latest long range Model S was borderline, but I wasn't sure how borderline. It still just doesn't seem like quite enough. I really wish Tesla would figure out how to stuff maybe 120-130 kWh into a Model S, or 100 kWh into a Model 3. That would be perfect. But I don't think I would be satisfied with the current LR Model S. Almost, but not quite.

I know a top end Lucid has sufficient range, but whereas Tesla has ludicrous speed, top end Lucid has ludicrous price. It's always packaged with the top end spec car. I'm getting to where I don't care about anything else anymore. I don't need performance, or luxury, or even storage space. Just give me an EV that can do 350 real miles. Give me a 350 mile (real miles) Leaf. I would buy it.

Reactions: dsm363
Part of what is annoying me is my EV range never being quite enough. Whatever EV I get, the range is always like 250-275 miles, and I would like to get something that realistically can get 350 some day. That would be the sweet spot. My experience is what leads me to this. I live in the Kansas City area, and I frequently make trips to either Columbia, St. Louis, and occasionally a few select other places in the state or in neighboring states. Without fail, the range of my EV is always not quite enough. For example, I can't round trip to Columbia. I always have to charge there. It's about 130 miles one way. That's 260 round trip, not including any around town driving. If there are zero hiccups and the weather is nice and I drive super carefully and if I'm happy getting home with 1% charge left, I can do the round trip. In other words, I can't do the round trip. Every trip I take is like this. Always 50 miles short of what is needed. After 7 years or so, it's just starting to irritate me.

I knew the latest long range Model S was borderline, but I wasn't sure how borderline. It still just doesn't seem like quite enough. I really wish Tesla would figure out how to stuff maybe 120-130 kWh into a Model S, or 100 kWh into a Model 3. That would be perfect. But I don't think I would be satisfied with the current LR Model S. Almost, but not quite.

I know a top end Lucid has sufficient range, but whereas Tesla has ludicrous speed, top end Lucid has ludicrous price. It's always packaged with the top end spec car. I'm getting to where I don't care about anything else anymore. I don't need performance, or luxury, or even storage space. Just give me an EV that can do 350 real miles. Give me a 350 mile (real miles) Leaf. I would buy it.
Based on your location as long as I could make it to Jack Stack BBQ I would be satisfied. Dam I love that place.

The long range Model S now should at least be pretty close to 350 real world miles. Going 65mph or so. But agree, I'd like to see a 500 mile EPA range Model S at some point which would be over 400 normal highway miles for most people.

That's pretty impressive.

Granted my car is a Plaid and I'm rolling on 20s, but I'm averaging 375 wh/mile so far.

I just so happen to be in the car, so here’s the Trips screen. I’m continually impressed with the efficiency of Model S. It beats both our X and 3 handily.

Attachments

• IMG_4780.jpeg
    IMG_4780.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 95
WOW the new S is impressively efficient. We just returned from a 1900-mile road trip from southern IL to southern MD to spend Christmas with the grandkids. We drove I-64. We have a 2022 MY Performance with 18" tires/wheels from TSportLine. Here's my stats:
xzsOTED.jpg

Our efficiency took a hit due to Dec temps and heavy rain/fog encountered transversing the Appalachian Mountains on both legs. We've seen lower wh/mh in the 280 range on spring/summer trips. The Current Drive data was from the last SuperCharger stop in Haubstdadt IN to our home. The weather had cleared and temp was 50 degrees. We set our speed to 4+ over posted.

We are considering moving to a new S LR in the next 12 months or when we can pay off our Y.

Reactions: dsm363