Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can't afford the LR just do some Uber on the side. 310 mile range would be great for that. Not too mention electricity costs are much lower than gas costs especially in states like Texas etc. Pretty sure there would be plenty of people willing to pay premium for a ride in the model 3.

If someone could confirm that the powered mirrors in the base are heated then I'd be over $5k wealthier in 2018 or 2019. (Or, if it progresses, I'd spend the money on EAP instead.)
power adjustable mirrors (not to be confused with power folding heated mirrors in the premium package) are actually listed in the presskit Press Kit | Tesla
it doesn't say heated mirrors or much about the base model seats other than they are textile.

Or have the Tesla drivetrain.
And it is not electric.

Can we banish these <car xyz has a feature that the Model 3 does not posts to their own sub-forum ? PLEASE ?
Agreed, the tesla model 3 is tomorrow's car and really has no comparison to current traditional auto offerings. Some of use have been spoiled by the MX/MS... Those cars have nothing in comparison to traditional auto offerings as well.

The only pricing I am shocked by is the long range option. The base model is more or less what I expected. I think I did expect a little more range from the base model. My problem is over time I started half expecting to also get the bigger battery for cheap (no real reason to think this, but I did). Then the announcement of it being 310 miles really made me want it. Only it was like a quarter of the price of the car! So, I am anguishing about how to afford a $60k car and it is frustrating, but I keep having to remind myself that if I go back to my original plan everything is fine. The non-black paint surcharge is really annoying but not a deal breaker. Just wish Tesla was a little smarter about where they get their margins from - that $1k price gouge is hard to explain. The base car with PUP and AP seems to be everything I expected.

You could get a $28,000 Camry with everything on it and 39mpg highway.
Paint, steering wheel and tires come with it.

Elon promised a 215 mile range for $35k. He delivered.

The added cost for any color other than black is annoying, but it's only $1000. The autopilot hardware comes with every car, so you can always add it later. I don't think this was ever promised or implied to be part of the base vehicle.

The premium package is expensive, but it does come with a lot of options. Maybe they will offer some of the options later as separate upgrades, but I completely understand why it's an all of nothing package at this stage in the game due to simplicity.

i don't understand all of the complaints. Maybe a lot of people are suddenly having buyers remorse about spending $35K+ on a car. But for many of us who have been in this market for a while and are familiar with German sedans in this price range, it's a very competitive vehicle with options and tech that no one else can currently touch.

Plus the up to $3,000 excise tax credit in Maryland as of last month. As for EAP and FSD, many will not opt for that including my wife in her Model 3. I love EAP in my X, but it is not for everyone at this very early stage. It is certainly not considered a base feature in any car, so not sure how you can count that in your calcs for price comparison.

Thanks Jason, I didn't know that. I'm glad I posted here; you guys have lots of good information. I am even willing to tolerate a little bit of ad hominem ;-)

Reactions: StapleGun
Elon promised a 215 mile range for $35k. He delivered.

The added cost for any color other than black is annoying, but it's only $1000. The autopilot hardware comes with every car, so you can always add it later. I don't think this was ever promised or implied to be part of the base vehicle.

The premium package is expensive, but it does come with a lot of options. Maybe they will offer some of the options later as separate upgrades, but I completely understand why it's an all of nothing package at this stage in the game due to simplicity.

i don't understand all of the complaints. Maybe a lot of people are suddenly having buyers remorse about spending $35K+ on a car. But for many of us who have been in this market for a while and are familiar with German sedans in this price range, it's a very competitive vehicle with options and tech that no one else can currently touch.
Well said.

self driving capabilities; and I knew the software was an extra cost option. That option on the model S added about 10%; so I expected to pay about $4000 extra for it on the model 3.
This is where you started going wrong.

If you started (today) with a base S75 in the U.S. the Cash Price in the configurator is $69,500. If you add FSD that bumps it to $77,500. 11.5% increase. So yes your "% increase" number of 10% is in the ballpark.

Even so, assuming that the cost of software-only features would be priced on a percentage of base vehicle was and is foolish optimism. Autopilot and FSD don't get "less compelling" or "cheaper" to produce because the base vehicle price is smaller. It's akin to expecting the navigation software to be less expensive for Tesla to offer (including fees to partners like Google) just because the base vehicle has a different MSRP.

Getting upset when your foolish optimism estimates don't pan out is just more foolishness, IMO.

If my info is right, the M310 isn't just $9k for 90 miles of range.
The on-board charger is larger at 48a?
Supercharging is probably going to be significantly faster.
The performance is 10% better.
The battery will most likely last more years.
Harsh conditions, like cold, mountains, wind, heat, rain, will be less likely to alter your normal routing. This seems obvious, but it's not. If you charge to 90%, then always want 20 miles of average safety margin, it become more apparent. That's 259 miles before problems. Say a headwind and rain drain 40 miles = 219 miles. With the M220, 138 miles.

A stripped M310 with white paint could be the range champ of the Tesla lineup or very close to it.

Last edited:
The only pricing I am shocked by is the long range option. The base model is more or less what I expected. I think I did expect a little more range from the base model. My problem is over time I started half expecting to also get the bigger battery for cheap (no real reason to think this, but I did). Then the announcement of it being 310 miles really made me want it. Only it was like a quarter of the price of the car!
Model 3:
- Base to Long Range: 220 -> 310 miles; 40.9% increase in range for a cost of $9,000 -- $100/mi. or $220/%.

Model S
- 75 to 75D: 249 -> 259 miles; 4.0% increase in range for a cost of $5,000 -- $500/mi. or $1250/%.
- 75D to 100D: 259 -> 335 miles; 29.3% increase in range for a cost of $23,000 -- $302/mi. or $784/%.

Look at the range upgrade costs per mile and per % of the 3 vs. the S. Unless I really messed up the math, I find it absurd that anyone considers the cost of a range upgrade expensive when compared to the S.

Enough said.
Bloomberg.png

My calculation is as follows: $35,000 + $8000 (full self driving) + $1000 (I hate black) + $5000 (premium interior) = $49,000.
Being "forced to buy," is an interesting concept. In an era when electric motors are cheap, only a stripped-down base model does not include power seats. I won't pay $44,000 for a stripped-down base model of any car.

Can you call a car that can independently drive itself a "stripped down" model? No other car can drive itself yet. That's freaking amazing technology. There are cars coming that are kind of close, but we're talking Audi A8 or Mercedes S-class.

And for what it's worth, I had a $35,000 BMW without power seats or real leather. The lack of power seats confused the car wash people, but I didn't think it was all that big a deal. Plus, I think a lot of the confusion had to do with how BMW made the manual controls. There's no bar under the seat to slide the seat back. It's a lever next to other seat levers. Haven't been in another manual seat car that didn't have a bar under the seat to move it back and forth. I change the seating position all the time in one of our cars and I manually push the buttons rather than use the preset cuz I don't always like "my" setting on the preset. I still have to reach for and find and hold a button. It's not all that different than pulling a lever.

Power side mirrors is different because it's a lot harder for the driver to reach over and change the passenger side mirror. However, I'm sure the base model has power side mirrors, just not memory ones.

And the lack of leather doesn't bother me. Unless you hit Napa leather and above, "regular" leather isn't all that great. Cloth seats and Scotchguard is fine if you're worried about spills. The "leatherette" on my old BMW was better than the real leather option IMO. My Lexus has semi-aniline leather and that stuff is wonderful feeling, but awful for stain resistance. The "regular" leather on that model and on my Honda isn't anything great. I'm sure the Vegan "leather" or cloth seats on the Model 3 will be fine.

Ah, these types of threads remind me of how I felt when the Model S was released.

There was lots of run up that it was going to be a $50k car and "up to" 300 miles range. I was very excited and followed the release very closely. Then final prices and specs came out: the $50k model S was $50k only after the tax credit and it was the 40kWh one (!). The one anyone really wanted was the 85 which was priced in the $80s if I recall.

Devastation. I had no idea the price differential was going to be that high for the "300 mile range" option - I was thinking like $10k more or something so like $60k. Had to give up the Model S dream for several years until the CPO program really got going and used prices came down. I did get my $60k S in the end, and she is everything I dreamed.

So I feel the OP's pain. If you aren't following Tesla that closely, you might not realize how Apple-esque they are with pricing. It can be quite a shock.