Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I drive with the charging crd plugged in? The used model 3 ate my charging cable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked through all the discussions about hoot unplug it here, before anyone asks. The manual port release in the trunk ripped completely out, I think it was previously damaged/defective as I can't find an internet reference to that ever happening. Also called Tesla service, they don't have anyone willing to tow it here. I would rather not pay to tow the thing back 400 km to the nearest unofficial service centre. I can't put the cable into the trunk because the car probably would not drive, and in any case I would have trouble tying or taping the trunk partly shut.. However the cord could be put through the back window and duct taped to the seat, it's a 6 foot spool standard mobile charger. The charger itself shouldn't stick out much more than the mirrors, and the 3 is not exactly a wide car. I would just hug the shoulder. Of course, I can't charge at a supercharger, but i could return it to the 3rd party dealership in Moncton and transfer tesla ownership back to them so they can drive it. They would have to trickle charge it with that mobile cord, but it's their problem within their 10 day money back guarantee and I'd try to trade it for another Model 3. Whatever transport and repair cost they can bill to me, and when the repair shop likely determines that it is in fact defective they can reimburse me. Adding to the delay, there was a major storm in the Halifax area and all the tow truck drivers are probably busy or sleeping.

Is there something I'm missing? I can't reach behind the lining in the trunk and manually find somewhere to pull, right? I defrosted for hours, it couldn't be frozen in place outside without any sign of ice, right? it was made in 2020, i don't think there s a defrost section for the port. Wouldn't that could cause damage?

I looked through all the discussions about hoot unplug it here, before anyone asks. The manual port release in the trunk ripped completely out, I think it was previously damaged/defective as I can't find an internet reference to that ever happening. Also called Tesla service, they don't have anyone willing to tow it here. I would rather not pay to tow the thing back 400 km to the nearest unofficial service centre. I can't put the cable into the trunk because the car probably would not drive, and in any case I would have trouble tying or taping the trunk partly shut.. However the cord could be put through the back window and duct taped to the seat, it's a 6 foot spool standard mobile charger. The charger itself shouldn't stick out much more than the mirrors, and the 3 is not exactly a wide car. I would just hug the shoulder. Of course, I can't charge at a supercharger, but i could return it to the 3rd party dealership in Moncton and transfer tesla ownership back to them so they can drive it. They would have to trickle charge it with that mobile cord, but it's their problem within their 10 day money back guarantee and I'd try to trade it for another Model 3. Whatever transport and repair cost they can bill to me, and when the repair shop likely determines that it is in fact defective they can reimburse me. Adding to the delay, there was a major storm in the Halifax area and all the tow truck drivers are probably busy or sleeping.

Is there something I'm missing? I can't reach behind the lining in the trunk and manually find somewhere to pull, right? I defrosted for hours, it couldn't be frozen in place outside without any sign of ice, right? it was made in 2020, i don't think there s a defrost section for the port. Wouldn't that could cause damage?
No. The car doesn't allow drive while something is in the charge port.

You can use the car's screen and phone app to unlock the port and pull the cord out.

Upvote 0

You can use the car's screen and phone app to unlock the port and pull the cord out.
gas pump.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert and 804son
Upvote 0

I suppose could try. obviously the other end can't be plugged in. as for releasing it another way, no, I can't. The screen and the app do not release it, despite the sound of unlocking. If those worked, who would even look for the manual release tab? I'm not being idiotic, and your suggestion would be offensive to most people. i assume you're just not awake or something, to suggest I didn't do everything possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0

Unfortunately for you under the circumstances, the car won’t let you drive with a plug in the charging port. Please share when you get it fixed. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I suppose could try. obviously the other end can't be plugged in. as for releasing it another way, no, I can't. The screen and the app do not release it, despite the sound of unlocking. If those worked, who would even look for the manual release tab? I'm not being idiotic, and your suggestion would be offensive to most people. i assume you're just not awake or something, to suggest I didn't do everything possible.
Did you reboot the car?

Reactions: JTrail
Upvote 0

Are you pulling by holding the outer part and pulling the inner metal cable? It basically works like a bike cable, with an inner metal cable.

If you just pull it, sometimes it doesn't work because the plastic clip that holds the outer cable either didn't get installed or broke off. If you take out the liner you should get a better view and see if the clip broke off.

Note the Tesla service manual is free, you can see how to remove that part of the trunk liner in it:

Here's an example from another thread:

You mentioned the port possibly being frozen. If it is frozen the manual release will not work. You would have to thaw the port first. Not sure how cold your area is.

• Informative
Reactions: JTrail
Upvote 0
Are you pulling by holding the outer part and pulling the inner metal cable? It basically works like a bike cable, with an inner metal cable.

If you just pull it, sometimes it doesn't work because the plastic clip that holds the outer cable either didn't get installed or broke off. If you take out the liner you should get a better view and see if the clip broke off.

Note the Tesla service manual is free, you can see how to remove that part of the trunk liner in it:

Here's an example from another thread:

You mentioned the port possibly being frozen. If it is frozen the manual release will not work. You would have to thaw the port first. Not sure how cold your area is.
I saw the inner wire, it was attached to the tab. That's what I pulled. The tab did not break off, the entire manual release assembly broke off.

it is highly unreasonable that a charger a 120 V 12 amp mobile plug would not create enough heat to keep a handle from freezing in place, given that it's warming the battery and preconditions the car. It was not raining or snowing significantly. and the internal temperature has been tested at 28 C degrees. However, if I get it fixed I will avoid outdoor home charging in winter. I do not have the option of faster charging there, so will have to pay the higher supercharger prices (double residential electric, half gas rate). On average it is freezing overnight about half the year. i never had any such problems with the Leaf, it was "only" the outer door that froze shut with enough water.

Upvote 0
I saw the inner wire, it was attached to the tab. That's what I pulled. The tab did not break off, the entire manual release assembly broke off.
I'm not sure you understood correctly, but you have to click the thread to see the exact post, which is not talking about the tab breaking off, but rather the whole assembly coming out because a plastic tie/clip that holds it broke off or were not properly installed.

latausportin_vapautusvipu_001.png

latausportin_vapautusvipu_002.png

Just taping it down might fix it for now, as per the post, which may allow you to move the car.

You should be able to see it better if you pull back the trunk liner in that area.
it is highly unreasonable that a charger a 120 V 12 amp mobile plug would not create enough heat to keep a handle from freezing in place, given that it's warming the battery and preconditions the car. It was not raining or snowing significantly. and the internal temperature has been tested at 28 C degrees. However, if I get it fixed I will avoid outdoor home charging in winter. I do not have the option of faster charging there, so will have to pay the higher supercharger prices (double residential electric, half gas rate). On average it is freezing overnight about half the year. i never had any such problems with the Leaf, it was "only" the outer door that froze shut with enough water.
Many people have reported 120V 12A is way too little power to charge the car in the cold. In cold enough environments, it may not even be enough to warm up the pack, so the car starts draining power instead of charging. If the connection on the car is very good and low resistance, there might not be much heat at the charge port. Keep in mind the Tesla conductors also handle DC and 500A+. 12A is approximately nothing compared to that.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure you understood correctly, but you have to click the thread to see the exact post, which is not talking about the tab breaking off, but rather the whole assembly coming out because a plastic tie/clip that holds it broke off or were not properly installed.

latausportin_vapautusvipu_001.png

latausportin_vapautusvipu_002.png

Just taping it down might fix it for now, as per the post, which may allow you to move the car.

You should be able to see it better if you pull back the trunk liner in that area.

Many people have reported 120V 12A is way too little power to charge the car in the cold. In cold enough environments, it may not even be enough to warm up the pack, so the car starts draining power instead of charging. If the connection on the car is very good and low resistance, there might not be much heat at the charge port. Keep in mind the Tesla conductors also handle DC and 500A+. 12A is approximately nothing compared to that.
On the occasional day that it's cold enough to lose instead gain power, battery would have been lost due to heating anyway if I drive it. Generally at - it takes 6 hours to recharge, but Im not usually using more than half the battery capacity so it doesn't matter.

I'm neither an electrician nor a mechanic. It was warm out today, it did not release again, so the plug was not frozen in the first place. Tis supposed to rain tomorrow, so I guess I'll stop charging. No way I am going to attempt attaching a metal rod near a conductor for a hundred KW stored battery. I never even changed my own oil filter. I got out of the hazards of gas engine and their fire death traps, I'm not circumventing standard safety precautions.

• Funny
Upvote 0
On the occasional day that it's cold enough to lose instead gain power, battery would have been lost due to heating anyway if I drive it. Generally at - it takes 6 hours to recharge, but Im not usually using more than half the battery capacity so it doesn't matter.

I'm neither an electrician nor a mechanic. It was warm out today, it did not release again, so the plug was not frozen in the first place. Tis supposed to rain tomorrow, so I guess I'll stop charging. No way I am going to attempt attaching a metal rod near a conductor for a hundred KW stored battery. I never even changed my own oil filter. I got out of the hazards of gas engine and their fire death traps, I'm not circumventing standard safety precautions.
Note the fix doesn't require attaching anything with metal. They just opened up the trunk liner, then taped down the outer part of the release cable where the clip was, because the plastic clip that holds it broke off. Then that allowed them to pull the release.

I only suggested this given it might free your charge port for now and allow you to drive it to get it properly fixed. But if it's too complicated, then I guess you have to figure out something else to get this fixed.

Upvote 0
Still curious if this one was a joke, or series of faults or conditions that allowed that to happen?
Anyone find the story behind this photo, and a explanation of what allowed a vehicle to be driven away, presumably still plugged in to the connector?

The car definitely doesn't let you drive when it's plugged into a *functioning* connector... likely because it's able to communicate with that connector to know that it's actually there.

In this case, how would the car even know that something's plugged in? Those are dead wires. No electricity, no signal, nothing. At best it could know that something's blocking the charge port door from closing, but it wouldn't stop you from driving.

Tesla *could* have two pins in the connector that just loop back (connected to each other ) so that the car could know a connector is plugged in, but it doesn't... and it isn't worth having.

So... this photo doesn't surprise me much.

Upvote 0
The car definitely doesn't let you drive when it's plugged into a *functioning* connector... likely because it's able to communicate with that connector to know that it's actually there.

In this case, how would the car even know that something's plugged in? Those are dead wires. No electricity, no signal, nothing. At best it could know that something's blocking the charge port door from closing, but it wouldn't stop you from driving.

Tesla *could* have two pins in the connector that just loop back (connected to each other ) so that the car could know a connector is plugged in, but it doesn't... and it isn't worth having.

So... this photo doesn't surprise me much.
Seems like there would be many alternatives to validate the port is clear even without the charger being powered up?

Are we ignoring power outages that would need to be accounted for common human error?

Even a microswitch in the vehicles charge port would be able to validate the port is clear with a go/no go if a powered connector was required?

Is it true or possible a unpowered mobile/wall connector allows the vehicle to just drive away with the connector still attached?

Im skeptical, but hoping to hear feedback if anyone knows how something like that photo would be possible, and under what specific condition explicitly from first hand experience testing how these systems actually can fail and work to prevent user errors?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems like there would be many alternatives to validate the port is clear even without the charger being powered up?

Are we ignoring power outages that would need to be accounted for common human error?

Even a microswitch in the vehicles charge port would be able to validate the port is clear with a go/no go if a powered connector was required?

Is it true or possible a unpowered mobile/wall connector allows the vehicle to just drive away with the connector still attached?

Im skeptical, but hoping to hear feedback if anyone knows how something like that photo would be possible, and under what specific condition explicitly from first hand experience testing how these systems actually can fail and work to prevent user errors?
I imagine the car will throw an error about the charge port door being open.

Upvote 0
Interesting... So I just plugged in a non-powered mobile connector. It immediately displayed "Ready to Charge" on the screen and the car won't let me put it in drive.

AND... although the mobile connector wasn't plugged into the wall, the electronic button on the handle still operates to unlock the connector from the charge port. This means that the connector supplies power to the vehicle, but the vehicle also supplies power to the connector.

I don't believe there is any mechanical micro switch inside the charge port. I won't destroy my mobile connector to find out, but it makes me wonder if cutting the cord off would allow the car to drive. Perhaps the circuit that allows the car to detect it's presence happens in the housing of the mobile connector itself, not in the handle or wiring.

Upvote 0