Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 5+ years of "low maintenance" ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have any data to substantiate this claim?
Wishful thinking?
For example, luxury ICE vehicles include free maintenance for all new vehicles for the first 3 years/36K miles. That, by definition, will make them cheaper to run for the first 3 years.

Tesla's weight and impractically narrow tire selection (for increased range) have EVERYTHING to do with Model 3's accelerated tire wear.
Tesla does not make most parts that go into its cars (true for most other OEMs), but their design specs dictate wear and tear outcomes. In the case of tire wear, Model 3's are notorious for accelerated tire wear and extra costs that come with that.

If you plan to own a Model 3 for any length of time, it helps to be upfront and honest with the costs associated with that ownership.
You say that luxury ICE cats get free maintenance for 3 years/36,000 miles. I guess that's true but when it comes to my M3 there is virtually no maintenance to think about. Last year, when my car turned two years old, and with about 16,000 miles on it, I had a Tesla mobil tech come to our house to perform the suggested two year maintenance. What was involved? Let's see: no oil change, no transmission fluid check, no tune up, no radiator coolant check. In fact, all that was required was a check of the brake fluid (it didn't need any) and a new cabin air filter. Yeah, I had to pay for the cabin air filter. Big deal! Your point here is meaningless. Oh, and my tires? The original Continentals have 23,200 miles on them. I had them rotated for the second time a week ago and they still have just over 50% of their tread left.

Reactions: ODWms and WyoDude
Really bad luck there. I have over 40k miles on my 2019 M3P and the only warranty items i've had was bad weather strip lining that needed glueing, FM module going out in 1st week of ownership, puncture for windshield wiper fluid reservoir and 12V battery. The first 2 things on my list was when I first got the car so the other 2 things are the only service items after the 1st week.

I've gone through 3 sets of tires but thats on par with past sports sedans at the same mileage. Its one of the most reliable and convenient cars i've ever owned.

• Love
Reactions: ODWms and xilex
I have a lucky datapoint here. Only needed service for failed 12V battery, which was covered by warranty, and drove that to service center after I had to do the thing to make it engage the high-voltage connectors. I did a self air filter replacement with the spray stuff for getting rid of moldy smell. This was tough and annoying, and I think I would just pay some money next time for coil cleansing. Then, I had my one maintenance visit last month for brake fluid health check, where they also replaced harness recall. With my weak smooth driving, tires just got replaced last month, almost at the end of year 4, around 35000 miles.

I am guilty of being lazy and having never rotated my tires. I am not sure, but they ended up wearing more or less evenly anyway. I think it ended up being front 4/32 and back 3/32. But now I can just take them to America's Tire for free rotations. Is it worth having mobile tech do tire rotation (besides convenience)?

I guess it's variability and luck. Because I have heard of the few horror stories of the ICE cars where nothing works and no fixes resolve everything.

It does seem like you've had all the regular issues with the 3 rolled into one. That being said take out the tire rotations, air filter replacements and warranty repairs. Honestly, it's not all too bad and not much worse if not the same than what an ICE car would be. And those too have individual cars that are repair prone and just "bad luck" units.
My 2019 M3 has had virtually nothing go wrong. I also got the 12V battery replaced as precaution as soon as it was out of warranty. The truck wiring harness repair (free) the ball joint reseal (free) and other than that the only issue is that it goes through tires about twice as fast as the most pedestrian ICE.

I would also take out mobile repairs since they don't interfere with my schedule. Wish more car co.s this...

Do you have any data to substantiate this claim?
Wishful thinking?
For example, luxury ICE vehicles include free maintenance for all new vehicles for the first 3 years/36K miles. That, by definition, will make them cheaper to run for the first 3 years.

Tesla's weight and impractically narrow tire selection (for increased range) have EVERYTHING to do with Model 3's accelerated tire wear.
Tesla does not make most parts that go into its cars (true for most other OEMs), but their design specs dictate wear and tear outcomes. In the case of tire wear, Model 3's are notorious for accelerated tire wear and extra costs that come with that.

If you plan to own a Model 3 for any length of time, it helps to be upfront and honest with the costs associated with that ownership.

Tire warranties help soften the blow... I was able to get DT to honor OEM Michelin warranty and got the Pirellis for about half cost. Will see if Pirelli allows the same if they wear out.

Reactions: ODWms
It's the services where you actually have to go in to the SC that are more than normal. I live 3hrs away from a SC, so those services concern me.

When you look at mandatory SC visits, the trunk harness replacement seems to be the only one, oh also the axle click. All the rest could have been done via mobile service or at the local tire shop. Even the trunk harness might have been possible to be replaced via mobile service.

Reactions: vickh
It's the services where you actually have to go in to the SC that are more than normal. I live 3hrs away from a SC, so those services concern me.

When you look at mandatory SC visits, the trunk harness replacement seems to be the only one, oh also the axle click. All the rest could have been done via mobile service or at the local tire shop. Even the trunk harness might have been possible to be replaced via mobile service.
I had my trunk harness replaced/repaired by a mobile service tech last year when I had him come to our house to perform the two year recommended service.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I think I counted 27 tire rotations in that list. Apparently your alignment is whack if you need to replace all-seasons, but what's with all the rotations? Seems like you get the tires rotated every 300 yards?
And then you get somebody like me who had the original factory MXM4s live up front for their entire almost 28K and 5 year life.

The rear set was replaced some time ago when I got a puncture in one and they both had worn down and was close to end-of-life. So, 28K for front set and probably 14K on each pair in the back. Now got a set of Potenza RE980AS+ on the car. Not that much noisier than the Michelins but I have noticed an uptick in my energy usage in the last several weeks (maybe it's the way I accelerate through corners). I've set a trip odometer to note how many miles I put on the new rubber and the energy consumption that goes along with it.

1697048305133.png

As far as my service history goes, nothing too out of the ordinary. In no particular order:
  • Upon driving off from the delivery center I noticed that the TPMS wasn't registering. A couple of back-and-forth messages with service solved that problem.
  • Later on I had problems with installing software. It would download fine but then fail to install. Again, a bit of messaging with service and an OTA re-format of the SD card fixed that.
  • I lost the parallelogram thingy that allows the charge port door to open when pressed. Superglued the replacement in.
  • Got HW3 installed in my driveway.
  • Cabin filters replaced.
  • Pro-active 12V battery replacement just short of 4 years old.
  • The usual service bulletins for the front upper control arm reseal, the deadfront pins in the charge port, a hood latch issue (apparently didn't need it adjusted), but still waiting on the trunk lid harness (rear camera problem).
  • I had the driver side rear window adjusted at the Santa Clara Service Center as it had tilted towards the back of the car so that it was hitting the edge of the rear quarter window.
  • Basically a walk-up service at the Santa Clara center for a puncture repair. This was the first nail/screw I got in the LR tire. The second nail/screw did that tire it in. Yea, that's right... two punctures in the same tire. Probably my habit of hugging the yellow lane marker line when allowing motorcyclists to lane split.
No problems with interior door switches, exterior door handles delaminating, water getting into the tailights, headlight / running light issues, HVAC, smelly sock odors (filters were replaced at 3 years but only because I had a free set ready to go and not due to any smells), sticky doors, sticky windows, drivetrain problems, suspension noises.

I do continue to get mildly peeved at the way that the audio system just plain forgets that I was listening to the USB stick. Almost every time I get in the car, the "select source" message is displayed so I have to hit the right scroll button and say "switch to you ess bee". If only it was that easy; I often have to press the button several times before connectivity is established.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
At almost 96,000 miles, my 2018 Performance has been an absolute breeze. Close to zero issues and maintenance. Far below just about any other car I’ve owned, and arguably the most fun.
OP's history is very interesting. It is well outside a bell curve of issue. While a lot of them, not many major and there is also no cost shown for the 5 year ownership. I am like you, few problems here and there. I also got 45k miles on 2 of my original tires (other two got punctures) and i still have a little bit left. Likely AWD helps or more freeway driving with less breaking or better roads. Nevertheless, i like this post as it is true for the owner, not stellar experience.

What if you don't have a "lead foot"? Can't you DIY since I worry about safety if I need the accel. with my SR

Of course you can!
However, if an owner came from the land of Prius or other tools of glacial acceleration, it requires a little time and practice.

I had quickly abandoned "Chill" mode as I found it's non-linear throttle response mapping confusing and counter-intuitive. I find that feathering throttle in "sport"/"regular" mode is way easier and more predictable. When I drive.

It's primarily my wife's car, and she drives in "Chill" mode.
With her driving, summer tires (PS4S's) last about 1 summer / 8-10K miles.

:cool:

Reactions: vickh
Ignore the media when they say these cars are "heavier than normal cars and take special tires because of it", and "the infrastructure will have to be upgraded so bridges can handle the weight". I've seen all those stories, and they are a bunch of media hype and lies.

I'm 57 and I've had my share of cars. In 1984 I was driving a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible. It weighed 5200-5300 pounds empty. When I went to get tires, there were no "special" tires for the car. They just put on a new set of Michelin X tires, which were available for any vehicle. Nobody was going around building better bridges for it. Oh, and that car got 7 miles per gallon. The tires on that car typically lasted around 50,000 miles.

And even today, I have two trucks as well. I just put new tires on my 2018 Ram 2500. That truck weighs well over 7,000 lbs. They just put some Michelins on it, no "special" tires needed. And nobody's talking about building bigger bridges. Ans when we go camping, there is the added weight of the travel trailer. The truck was on its original tires, and the truck has over 60,000 miles on it.

Up until 2021 we also had a motor coach. It weighed 36,000 lbs dry and empty. Tires for it did cost $3,000 though. But, infrastructure? You get it. :)

Our Model 3 weighs less than 3600 lbs. We have about 12,000 miles on it and I've done two things. I rotated the tires myself, and I have filled the washer fluid bottle twice. The tires still look brand new. My wife also drives in chill mode.

I think I counted 27 tire rotations in that list. Apparently your alignment is whack if you need to replace all-seasons, but what's with all the rotations? Seems like you get the tires rotated every 300 yards?
On my 2017 MS 90D and 104k miles, I put on my 3rd set of tires 15k miles ago and never have done a tire rotation.

My first set went the quickest because I did a lot of “launches”. Now I drive more calmly.