Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my beloved 2018 LR Model 3 turning into a maintenance $$$$ nightmare?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got RCM_a056 after I left the car windows vented while it rained. The error went away once the inside dried out. Give it two weeks and see if the error goes away.

same here with water spill on front seat. Give it time to dry (easy in AZ)

Also I bought the extended warranty just in case for other issues.

The PCS failures on the 2018 vintage cars are a known weak spot unfortunately. Now that yours is fixed you should be good to go.

Deal with that knucklehead of a husband and it sounds like you’ve got many years of happiness left with your Model 3.

Buying a brand new car to avoid having to spend money on repairs is almost never the right financial decision, as I’m sure you know, but there are plenty of other reasons that drive us to buy new cars.
Really? I need to i guess keep couple of $k in the bank for Tesla if thats the case.

Really? I need to i guess keep couple of $k in the bank for Tesla if thats the case.

Reactions: boriszima
You should have traded-in with a newer one once the warranty ended.
The newer M3 look the same, but they are very very different cars.
I have a 2018 LR AWD (at my primary house) and a 2023 standard RWD (at a bother home that we use 2-3 months a year and Airbnb the rest of the time.

I like my 2018 way more than the 2023. Not being able to adjust regen to low sucks in the cold. The heat pump sucks in the cold, the battery uses a lot more energy to “condition” itself in the cold, I greatly prefer the manual trunk to the electric opening one. The only improvement for me is range and that the 2024 has a steering wheel heater.

That said I live with the 2023 but my 2018 is here with me in Alaska. There is no way I’d buy or keep the newer model here as it is much colder for longer than where my other place is.

Thank you kindly linking it! rather than making me search for it. My car was build around that time per TSB July, 2018. So far charging at 48A using Wall Charger been okay, but now i know if something happens. Really appreciate it.

Reactions: ucmndd
The advice I've heard from other Tesla owners is to pay for the extended warranty just before it expires (whether timewise or mileage wise) and is what I plan on doing. American brands don't have a very good reputation for reliability and longevity and Tesla is no exception.
I probably missed it, but did you say the name of the extended warranty company? Our M3 is just over 2 years old, but the info would be helpful..thanks.

I probably missed it, but did you say the name of the extended warranty company? Our M3 is just over 2 years old, but the info would be helpful..thanks.

That's why I called these guys when my 2019 warranty expired XCare EV Protection. Every person on this website says "what's" my chance of needing a repair.
Well you are the answer. Tesla doe NOT make little replacement parts, They make whole assemblys that need repair.

It is XCare EV Protection.

In my opinion (very debatable) - it is better to set certain $ (roughly cost of warranty) aside in High Yield Saving/SP500/Bonds/Mutual funds to gain money over time and if you ever end up needing it, you will have the $ to cover it. At least that is what i used to do with my ICE car. But with EV, there are less parts? and therefore can make repairs considerably more expensive.

For example, lets say it would be $4,000 for coverage over 4/5 years. Very hypothetically if you were to invest that money and you gain 10% YoY (very high return if stock market is doing well), then in 5 years you will have $6500 in your pocket. Is it worth the gamble to see if your repairs will be less than $6.5K over 5 years? need to search for high mileage Model 3s to check it out. This is just for reference, there is no need to argue about return rates, where to put money, etc.
TeslaModel3.JPG

Last edited:
It is XCare EV Protection.

In my opinion (very debatable) - it is better to set certain $ (roughly cost of warranty) aside in High Yield Saving/SP500/Bonds/Mutual funds to gain money over time and if you ever end up needing it, you will have the $ to cover it. At least that is what i used to do with my ICE car. But with EV, there are less parts? and therefore can make repairs considerably more expensive.

For example, lets say it would be $4,000 for coverage over 4/5 years. Very hypothetically if you were to invest that money and you gain 10% YoY (very high return if stock market is doing well), then in 5 years you will have $6500 in your pocket. Is it worth the gamble to see if your repairs will be less than $6.5K over 5 years? need to search for high mileage Model 3s to check it out. This is just for reference, there is no need to argue about return rates, where to put money, etc.
View attachment 1011118
Thank you Sir!

We @ XCare do know these vehicles are cheap to maintain but can be costly to fix... so thats where we come in! Check out our website for more info and a quote for your Model 3 @RSpanner . Let us know how we can help! www.evwarranty.com

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Gotta say, I’m slightly concerned about this as well.

I’m just shy of 150,000km on my 2018 Model 3 performance.

In the last 6 months, I’ve had to deal with several issues.

- Had a restraint error and had to replace the center seat buckle in the rear seat.

Drivers seat occupancy sensor became faulty so the car and climate controls stayed on and the car wouldn’t auto lock.

12V battery replacement (my first)

A few of the wishbones/suspension linkages in the rear needed replacement, so I replaced all of them with mountain pass performance aftermarket pieces.

Front and rear windscreens both cracked spontaneously. This is by far the worst and most expensive issue I’ve had. Is the glass faulty in these cars or what?????

Finally when I was last at the service center, they said I needed to replace my front brake pads and rotors. I’m planning on doing it shortly, will definitely snag an aftermarket performance upgrade for those as well.

I’m so sick of seeing all the shareholders on Twitter claiming how reliable and low maintenance their cars are…. “All I have to do is put washer fluid and tires on it and I have 200,000km on my car…”. Yeah right. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Informative
Gotta say, I’m slightly concerned about this as well.

I’m just shy of 150,000km on my 2018 Model 3 performance.

In the last 6 months, I’ve had to deal with several issues.

- Had a restraint error and had to replace the center seat buckle in the rear seat.

Drivers seat occupancy sensor became faulty so the car and climate controls stayed on and the car wouldn’t auto lock.

12V battery replacement (my first)

A few of the wishbones/suspension linkages in the rear needed replacement, so I replaced all of them with mountain pass performance aftermarket pieces.

Front and rear windscreens both cracked spontaneously. This is by far the worst and most expensive issue I’ve had. Is the glass faulty in these cars or what?????

Finally when I was last at the service center, they said I needed to replace my front brake pads and rotors. I’m planning on doing it shortly, will definitely snag an aftermarket performance upgrade for those as well.

I’m so sick of seeing all the shareholders on Twitter claiming how reliable and low maintenance their cars are…. “All I have to do is put washer fluid and tires on it and I have 200,000km on my car…”. Yeah right. 🤣

ouch. I wonder how much of this is performance issues? Also I wouldn't count the 12 V battery since that's a low $ cost and not unique to Model 3

I did get the extended warranty. My 1st on a car.

Reactions: mnx
Bottom line seems to be that while Tesla tends to need overall less maintenance than an ICE over similar miles/years, there will always be outliers where individual cars will need more maintenance/repairs than others that may be essentially trouble free.

That's no longer true. White Teslas were the cheapest once upon a time because that was the default color. The white coat is a multicoat so it's a better quality coat compared to other paint jobs. The default color is now grey (non-multi coat).
Black used to be the free color. Seems like they rotate it around, for a reason only known to them.

Reactions: Skavatar and vickh