Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Model 3 (2017-2023) Rear Painted Fascia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody tried to order a painted rear fascia for a 2017-2023 model 3 in the last few months? Were you successful?

A couple of weeks ago I dented and cracked my bumper. I went to a collision shop and they quoted me about $2k to fix the fix the rear bumper. Most of the cost was the labor to paint the replacement bumper. I also submitted a service request to Tesla, asking if they could order and install a pre-painted fascia, PN 1916698-S4-A. They came back with an estimate of about $1k. When I was looking at the estimate though, I noticed they had quoted me for the wrong PN--they had quoted 1916698-S1-A, which is the correct part, but in black. I sent a message to Tesla asking if they could update the estimate so that it had the correct PN, and now they're saying they can't get pre-painted bumpers for cars not in production any more. I'm a little skeptical of this response, given that 1) they did initially quote it, 2) I've seen other reports of the wrong PN in the estimate (see this thread: What would a rear bumper fix cost ?) and 3) it seems like Tesla can require some arm-twisting to order this part for customers.

Should I keep pressing the matter? Try a different service center? Or is it really true that you can't get pre-painted bumpers any more for older model 3s?

Has anybody tried to order a painted rear fascia for a 2017-2023 model 3 in the last few months? Were you successful?

A couple of weeks ago I dented and cracked my bumper. I went to a collision shop and they quoted me about $2k to fix the fix the rear bumper. Most of the cost was the labor to paint the replacement bumper. I also submitted a service request to Tesla, asking if they could order and install a pre-painted fascia, PN 1916698-S4-A. They came back with an estimate of about $1k. When I was looking at the estimate though, I noticed they had quoted me for the wrong PN--they had quoted 1916698-S1-A, which is the correct part, but in black. I sent a message to Tesla asking if they could update the estimate so that it had the correct PN, and now they're saying they can't get pre-painted bumpers for cars not in production any more. I'm a little skeptical of this response, given that 1) they did initially quote it, 2) I've seen other reports of the wrong PN in the estimate (see this thread: What would a rear bumper fix cost ?) and 3) it seems like Tesla can require some arm-twisting to order this part for customers.

Should I keep pressing the matter? Try a different service center? Or is it really true that you can't get pre-painted bumpers any more for older model 3s?
You can try to make a new request with the actual correct part number and do a parts only request. But I see you want them to install it also. As another pointed out, that is a mixed bag and in high likelihood Tesla may push you to a collision shop. It seems some Tesla SCs have stopped selling painted bumpers, and the speculation is they have had too many complaints about the colors not matching (which is 100% expected unless your car is brand new, although even in that case sometimes it still doesn't match because the paint may have been from a different batch).

You can try to make a new request with the actual correct part number and do a parts only request. But I see you want them to install it also. As another pointed out, that is a mixed bag and in high likelihood Tesla may push you to a collision shop. It seems some Tesla SCs have stopped selling painted bumpers, and the speculation is they have had too many complaints about the colors not matching (which is 100% expected unless your car is brand new, although even in that case sometimes it still doesn't match because the paint may have been from a different batch).
The original request I submitted DID have the correct PN. It was the estimate that Tesla generated that had the wrong PN.

I may try just ordering the part from a different service center. Removing the rear bumper and installing the new one myself doesn't really look that bad.

The original request I submitted DID have the correct PN. It was the estimate that Tesla generated that had the wrong PN.

I may try just ordering the part from a different service center. Removing the rear bumper and installing the new one myself doesn't really look that bad.
UPDATE; I submitted a service request with another service center for a rear painted bumper cover (MSM)--just the part without service. They quoted me the same price the original service center did for the cover (~$890 with tax). Not sure if requesting it to get installed would have caused them to cancel the request and I didn't ask. I picked it up yesterday and installed it more or less without issue. The color match looks pretty good too.

TLDR: If a service center says they can't order a painted bumper for you, maybe try a different service center. It's frustrating though that you can't just get one anywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
UPDATE; I submitted a service request with another service center for a rear painted bumper cover (MSM)--just the part without service. They quoted me the same price the original service center did for the cover (~$890 with tax). Not sure if requesting it to get installed would have caused them to cancel the request and I didn't ask. I picked it up yesterday and installed it more or less without issue. The color match looks pretty good too.

TLDR: If a service center says they can't order a painted bumper for you, maybe try a different service center. It's frustrating though that you can't just get one anywhere.
Thanks for updating so at least we know that there are still SOME service centers that are willing to sell them. Doing a parts only request may have helped, because otherwise there is a boilerplate response where they may push you to a body shop, because Tesla generally doesn't deal with collision repairs directly. When they are just selling a specific part, they don't have to ask as much questions or worry about dealing with internal damage.