Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jesus are we still on the manual seat rage theme? Sure, the Tesla doesn't include some items others may consider standard in this segment. But it contains a whole host of features like nav, heated seats, safety, that are all options on the competition. Every one of the aforementioned items is an upcharge on bmw and Mercedes, and having owned both recently I know that of which I speak.

Time to get over it, or wait until you can option it separately. I have yet to see a thread with people complaining that there could be a 30k model 3 if they only threw out the nav, heated seats, safety gear, etc.

I bet you your M3 will beat it in 0-30 ;)

Its funny watching EVs race gasoline cars... even if the gas car ultimately smokes it later in the race, the EV almost always takes the lead off the line unless it gets a really bad start.

Also it's worth noting that if matching performance was your goal, if you left off EAP (which you said the BMW doesn't have), and accounting for the $3k price difference, you'd have $8k to put toward future M3 performance options.

And note in all of this, we're comparing the LR version, and not accounting for tax credits/breaks and fuel savings, where the lack of VAT will save me ~$10k+, the lack of emissions fees potentially much more, and oh our gas prices are nearly $8 per gallon ;)

M3 is a killer buy.
Well... if by "later in the race" you mean 2 seconds in. I mostly only open it up at the start of an entrance ramp onto the highway, where I'm going to finish accelerating somewhere around 70+ mph. But I do see the Model 3 being more fun for that occasional red light situation where I need a quick start in order to get over into the other lane... :)

While you're right about EAP, the 335 does have several features the Model 3 does not - off the top of my head, HUD and "comfort access" (walk up to the car w/your fob in your purse/pocket, move your foot under the rear bumper, and the trunk opens - nifty when your hands are full). They compare well against each other, with ticks in some different columns.

But I agree that the Model 3 pricing is perfectly reasonable and competitive, as far as the direct cost/benefit to the individual consumer. If you further factor in the environmental impact of the more expensive electric powertrain (which does not directly benefit the consumer, per se), then the price point is very impressive indeed.

I am amazed at some of these threads. I know we are all anxiously killing the time until we can configure our cars, but really? The model 3 is very competitively priced. Period. Sure there are some things (I've read raves about heated steering wheels, power seats, dash, etc) that Tesla chose to not give us at all or for free. The offering is impressive and it is the first non-stratospheric luxury EV offering by any car manufacturer. The model S and X were too expensive for most and the Bolt is not luxury but utilitarian. The other thing that I don't get is why people continue to ignore both the federal tax credit and fuel savings that just make this debate pathetic. Once the tax credits are gone, Tesla certainly has the ability to change the pricing and configuration a bit, so we could rehash this conversation in the future after that happens or doesn't. I think that a base model 3 with tax credit and ICE fuel savings is OFF THE CHARTS AMAZING.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The US federal tax credit's days are numbered, so it doesn't really hold much relevance for anyone car shopping today. (Here in Missouri, the federal credit is all there is; there is nothing from the state.) Certainly by the time someone can buy a Model 3 without waiting a year or so (like they could any other competitor...) it will be completely gone.

Besides, the 3 is competitively priced without it.

The US federal tax credit's days are numbered, so it doesn't really hold much relevance for anyone car shopping today. (Here in Missouri, the federal credit is all there is; there is nothing from the state.) Certainly by the time someone can buy a Model 3 without waiting a year or so (like they could any other competitor...) it will be completely gone.

Besides, the 3 is competitively priced without it.
Yes, but the credit is in place today. Until it is gone, it should be considered. Once it is gone, we have to see if Tesla changes anything. They very well may not, but we will have to wait and see.
I agree with you that the M3 is competitive without it, which is why this thread seems off.

Reactions: SageBrush and DR61
Well... if by "later in the race" you mean 2 seconds in. I mostly only open it up at the start of an entrance ramp onto the highway, where I'm going to finish accelerating somewhere around 70+ mph. But I do see the Model 3 being more fun for that occasional red light situation where I need a quick start in order to get over into the other lane... :)

While you're right about EAP, the 335 does have several features the Model 3 does not - off the top of my head, HUD and "comfort access" (walk up to the car w/your fob in your purse/pocket, move your foot under the rear bumper, and the trunk opens - nifty when your hands are full). They compare well against each other, with ticks in some different columns.

But I agree that the Model 3 pricing is perfectly reasonable and competitive, as far as the direct cost/benefit to the individual consumer. If you further factor in the environmental impact of the more expensive electric powertrain (which does not directly benefit the consumer, per se), then the price point is very impressive indeed.

The model 3 will have the majority of comfort access features, thought I don't know about the foot sensor for the truck. My wife's E350 has it and I agree it's nice. One of those things that I never knew I wanted until I had it. Much like a heated steering wheel.

Reactions: WhiskySTL