Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am thrilled with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about a month into my MYLR ownership. I got the month free of FSD when I bought the car. I have already signed up to rent FSD monthly for the $99 offer they have now. I let it take me everywhere. To me, it is not about what it doesn’t do, it’s what it does do. I read so many people and so called journalists that offer their opinion as fact telling people it’s not perfect, don’t use it.

For sure it is not perfect in all situations. I am amazed at what it can do and how much it takes over for me. I know for sure that it see’s and processes more of the fluid action going on around me than I can process. There are situations where I definitely need to take the wheel. I’ve experienced driving in the left hand lane on limited access highways for miles at the posted speed limit. I’ve experienced my Tesla slowing down to 45 mph in the left hand lane with no one around me. I have experienced the car pull up to a stop sign and stutter, unable to make a decision. It pulls forward a few feet, stops, repeat…. One situation I had to make an emergency stop. I will say that the point that the emergency stop happened at, the road is at a very odd angle with a stop sign not directly pointed at you on approach. You kinda need to be a local to understand how to drive it.

I also see the car make the same decisions I would taking turns at a four way stop. I’ve seen it exit the highway, put on the turn signal and make the appropriate stop before turning. I am amazed at how accurately it draws the scene in front of me on the screen including tail lights, traffic lights and stop signs. Overall, I am still constantly amazed at what the car see’s and how it is making decisions. It’s just brilliant and what I’ve heard from many others, it just keeps getting better with time. I’m not upset that Elon over promised on FSD. I think it is something that is extremely complex and needed all those millions of miles and tens (hundreds?) of thousands of hours to develop and test.

One part I do need help understanding. I set my car on the Chill setting. On take off, it is very aggressive and you can really feel the excelleration. I need the car to be smoother. Sometimes, on the highway, it drives at the maximum speed (see below picture). I have the car set to the ‘Relative’ speed setting and +2 mph to the posted speed limit. I wouldn’t mind a +5 mph on the highway, but then the car uses +5 mph everywhere. In a 25 mph road, that makes a big difference. I’m sure I am missing something in how I set the car up.

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 4
One part I do need help understanding. I set my car on the Chill setting. On take off, it is very aggressive and you can really feel the excelleration. I need the car to be smoother. Sometimes, on the highway, it drives at the maximum speed (see below picture). I have the car set to the ‘Relative’ speed setting and +2 mph to the posted speed limit. I wouldn’t mind a +5 mph on the highway, but then the car uses +5 mph everywhere. In a 25 mph road, that makes a big difference. I’m sure I am missing something in how I set the car up.
There are two Chill settings. The one under Controls > Pedals & Steering > Acceleration reduces acceleration in all situations, not just when using AP. There's a Chill FSD profile on the Controls > Autopilot screen that controls both acceleration and following distance. Which one did you use?

At some point there was a way to set the Speed Offset to a relative value based on %, which might be what you want. The Speed Offset has evolved so I'm not sure what options are there now. On the highway the car will go at the max setting you have specified, even if the speed limit is lower. Explore the settings on the touchscreen and play around with them to see what works best. I also suggest browsing that section of the manual to better understand the options.

FSD has come a long way since the "FSD City Streets Beta" was first released a few years ago, but as you've observed, it still requires supervision. Based on the rate of progress, I think full autonomy is still years away, but I find FSD useful in its current form, and a lot less stressful to use than it was even 6 months ago.

Regarding the smoothness issue - that's an area of improvement for sure. I agree it's a bit aggressive. Supposedly this is an area that 12.4 will improve on.

Regarding the speed: you need to uncheck "Automatic Set Speed Offset".... if you read the description (push the circle i), it's going to basically drive what it thinks is a safe speed. If you turn that off, the right scroll wheel can adjust the offset on the fly.

In my experience with FSD, you need to turn off the Automatic Speed Offset if you want to control the max speed, otherwise it will ignore your max settings.

One thing I can’t figure out is sometimes when ASO is on, the “Auto” designation under Max speed disappears (I don’t know why) and I can reduce or increase the Max speed like I could with TACC, which I prefer.

In my experience with FSD, you need to turn off the Automatic Speed Offset if you want to control the max speed, otherwise it will ignore your max settings.

One thing I can’t figure out is sometimes when ASO is on, the “Auto” designation under Max speed disappears (I don’t know why) and I can reduce or increase the Max speed like I could with TACC, which I prefer.
If you are on the freeway/highway, it will revert to letting you adjust max and remove the ASO.

Thanks all. I did see an immediate improvement changing ASO. It still has the rough takeoff and late braking issue, but hopefully the next update helps that. My wife doesn’t like me o use FSD because of the aggressive take off and braking.

Last winter, true story, my daughter was using my truck as a cooling rack for cookies. I drove to Home Depot (2 miles) and noticed the cookies on my trucks hard bed cover. I kept all the racks and was only minus 2 cookies. I got the smooth driver award from my family. ( I did hear them sliding around )