Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3.6 issues not following map navigation, question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Tesla owner and bought FSD. So far I'm loving it and it does an amazing job. But a few times it's actions have confused me. I'm wondering if their is some option I need to adjust or if this is just the way it works. Here are some examples.

1. I was driving on the on the freeway and there was traffic maybe an accident. Suddenly my car just goes to pull off the freeway at an exit. I grabbed the wheel and pulled it back. I got it back on the freeway but till I passed the intersection for the exit it wouldn't travel and freeway speeds. It was stuck at 35 mph. Once I passed the overpass it reset the speed and all was good.

--- Could it have decided to reroute because the traffic automatically? I didn't see a setting for this?
--- Could it have been confused about the road it was on? the 35mph seems like the speed limit on the exit, could it have thought it was on the exit?

2. I told it to take me home when I passed the turn for my home. The nav route had it making a u-turn at the up coming light and going back to turn on the street leading to my home. It got in the turn lane and was looking good. Then it turned left instead of doing a u-turn. Then at the next unprotected left turn it was gonna make a u-turn right in front of a sign that said no u-turns.

--- No idea what was going on with this. it seems like FSD only sees navigation as a suggestion but I can't think of any reason why a left turn made sense.

3. Today I was going to a CVS. There was a bit of traffic. The navigation correctly outlined going to the upcoming intersection and making a u-turn and pull into the CVS on the corner. There was a considerable backup to the turn lane so we were at a stop. A little bit ahead of use was an unprotected turn lane that you could use to do a u-turn but way too early to get to CVS. As we creeped up to that turn lane we were stopped waiting. Then suddenly the tesla accelerated into the turn lane. I had no idea what it was trying to do and it did it quite suddenly. I was almost thinking maybe it was gonna drive up on the divider which would have been catastrophic. I think it was probably gonna do a u-turn.

--- Only thing I can think is it decided it was tired of waiting and wanted to force a reroute? Even so the acceleration moving into this turn was disturbing.

Given that I've got maybe 3-4 hundred miles of experience with FSD I'm curious if these are normal issues and/or are there adjustments to settings I should do?

I have the car in chill mode and fsd in standard mode. I have the car in chill because I think that effects how fast FSD accelerates sometimes? Most of the time it is great. I did turn off lane changing in FSD, this was an issue when I was on the busy freeway it would change lane constantly and frankly it was creating a lot of anxiety with me being new.

So any suggestions of comments would be welcome of just knowing that this is the current expectation for FSD. Sometimes it works so well and when it does something totally off it is really unexpected.

thanks

• Informative
Reactions: philw1776
1. I was driving on the on the freeway and there was traffic maybe an accident. Suddenly my car just goes to pull off the freeway at an exit. I grabbed the wheel and pulled it back. I got it back on the freeway but till I passed the intersection for the exit it wouldn't travel and freeway speeds. It was stuck at 35 mph. Once I passed the overpass it reset the speed and all was good.

--- Could it have decided to reroute because the traffic automatically? I didn't see a setting for this?
Check Settings - Navigation
There is a setting for rerouting to save time. Mine is set for 10 mins. Meaning if another route will save me 10 mins or more, it'll reroute.

U-Turns are a new behavior, and may not work properly depending on if the car thinks it can make it. I've had it fail and switch to a left instead.

Check Settings - Navigation
There is a setting for rerouting to save time. Mine is set for 10 mins. Meaning if another route will save me 10 mins or more, it'll reroute.

U-Turns are a new behavior, and may not work properly depending on if the car thinks it can make it. I've had it fail and switch to a left instead.
If the car decides to reroute you because of traffic, the navigation system will reflect the new route. If the car tried to exit the freeway but the navigation route was still going straight, that’s not a rerouting feature, something else happened.

Even without FSD, I’ve had occasional problems where the nav system showed an incorrect and longer than necessary route, which I would just ignore. If you’re using FSD, the car will try to follow the nav route, whether or not it’s correct. And, as the OP discovered, sometimes FSD will depart from the nav route by making an unexpected turn.

Thanks for the info on that setting. I'll make that ASAP :)

Do you think that it is possible that FSD sees the reroute before it updates on the map? For my example of exiting the freeway I did notice some oddness. I had the screen showing the close up navigation which was not showing any exit. When I changed it to the route display now it was showing a route exiting. Also on the CVS trip when it pulled into that earlier turn lane and I took control the map updated as soon as I started to make a U turn showing a new route that would have made sense. In any event I'm sure making that navigation change will eliminate that possibility.

thanks