Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many speeding tickets since getting your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you invite him to a dragstrip (or some other legal location)? Those numbers are close to Tesla's official numbers. I'd kind of like to see that video. Especially if that Caprice has police markings.

He invited me to the state patrol training site but really just as a joke, I think. I asked him "so when do you want to do this?" He didn't answer that one. Wish he had. That would be cool to see.

Not me but the wife will soon. She was never like this in any of our other cars, e.g. M5, NSX. She seems to really love leaving Audi's behind. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be telling her to slow down. The "dust this sucked" phenomena started shortly after we picked the Model s up and not abated! The car guy in me is both proud and a little afraid.

Dr Frankenstein... meet your monster.

None in the Tesla.

Almost got one once. Was entering a freeway and there was a huge bus-sized RV and in front of the RV a big long van, just ahead of me one lane over. It looked like the RV or the van, one of 'em might move into my lane so before they had a chance to start even entertaining such an idea I decided to scoot by both vehicles in the far right lane to get clear of 'em. Scoot in the sense of using every electron I could muster at the moment, motor singing that creepy high-pitched whine, car accelerating the way only Teslas do. Then, in the gap between the RV and the van, as I'm zooming by, out of the corner of my eye I spot a cop way over in the fast lane. He clearly must've seen me enter the freeway and saw me zooming past the RV. At that instant I took my foot off accelerator, went straight into max regen, started slowing down alongside the van, tapped the brakes to slow down more, and emerged past the van doing a nice little ol' 65. (Some of my belongings, including my laptop bag, decided to give me an impromptu lesson in the laws of physics, and in the blink of an eye relocated from the passenger seat to the floor.)

The cop was caught off guard; it was pretty obvious he fully expected to catch a Model S in lightspeed mode as I emerged past the van but no. Needless to say, I toodled along at 65 for next several miles, cop close by, watching my every move. Eventually the cop got tired of lingering nearby (he never got behind me) and eventually took an exit.

A close call.

None in 17,000 miles, but only because I'm a fanatic about using the cruise control. My typical launch is at or near full power; then I look down at the speedo, have an "oh, crap" moment, back off and set the cruise.

Not me but the wife will soon. She was never like this in any of our other cars, e.g. M5, NSX. She seems to really love leaving Audi's behind. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be telling her to slow down. The "dust this sucked" phenomena started shortly after we picked the Model s up and not abated! The car guy in me is both proud and a little afraid.

Dr Frankenstein... meet your monster.
Same with my wife... Makes me proud. I never thought I'd hear her say "hold on I have to beat this other car off the line"

Brianstorms, I've learned that braking when you see a cop is the worst option. They see the shift in the car, and they know what you are up to. Instead, I always just let off the gas and coast... Guess I have to find a new plan in the s.

Made it a long time not getting pulled over because my timing was right and I had my eyes peeled and techniques for looking innocent. Then an ex assured me I would eventually be pulled over in her neighborhood... Such was the case. Then it took until my 13th time being pulled over to get a ticket. Now, only 2 tickets in over 20 times being pulled over. granted I'm sure half were because it was late at night and my 5 over or whatever made for a chance to check I wasn't drinking and driving.

The worst was when I was calling a friend to brag about getting out of another one 5 minutes earlier, when I had to hang up on him to pull over again... I did go 2 for 2 that day. The second time I went 2 for 2 in a weekend in Oklahoma. I got pulled over 8 times in a year there (no tix though, that came from the once in Texas, where I actually lived)

I know my luck is going to change now that I'm in my s. the plain Jane Cali plates negate one of my advantages. I have toned it down a bit though too in terms of speeding. Now it's about acceleration.

I definitely deserved a couple of them the first couple of weeks or so. Who doesn't want to see what happens when you "floor it" in one of these? I do think the lack of a screaming engine probably saved me once. A B&W Cruiser came around the corner right after I'd done a little 0 to 60 Demo with the kids. I thought to myself how embarrassing it would have been to get a ticket with them in the car, and it kind of shook me back to reality. I've been a much better citizen since then. I still leave everyone in the dust, but I'm less obvious about it now. ;)

Last edited:
Just curious, but how many have gotten speeding tickets since getting their S? And how many tickets so far? With such a quiet car, it's not surprising that many may overaccelerate slightly without noticing =) Any interesting stories?

I'm a law-abiding citizen! Of course I've never gotten a speeding ticket! Anyway, the fun thing to do in the car is accelerating from 0 to 30 and leaving traffic behind at the stop light. :wink:

I got 1 warning fairly recently. They officer was very interested in the car and was wondering if I could out drag him. He was in a new 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. Googled his car on the touchscreen -- apparently over 6200 lbs but 0-60 in 4.3 and top speed of 130. I told him "yes, I could."

So "apparently" the Caprice is a 3 ton supercar with the same acceleration as the Model S P85? It looks like you were googling the Tesla Model X instead.

Just a couple...

WheelzUpTesla.jpg

I'm a law-abiding citizen! Of course I've never gotten a speeding ticket! Anyway, the fun thing to do in the car is accelerating from 0 to 30 and leaving traffic behind at the stop light. :wink:

Well by definition that is exhibition of Speed and you are breaking the law.

. The defendant drove a motor vehicle on a highway;

AND

2. While so driving, the defendant willfully engaged in an exhibition of speed.

Someone commits an act willfully when he or she does it willingly or on purpose. It is not required that he or she intend to break the law, hurt someone else, or gain any advantage.

A person engages in an exhibition of speed when he or she accelerates or drives at a rate of speed that is dangerous and unsafe in order to show off or make an impression on someone else.

[The People must prove that the defendant intended to show off or impress someone but are not required to prove that the defendant intended to show off to or impress any particular person.]

[A motor vehicle includes a (passenger vehicle/motorcycle/motor scooter/bus/school bus/commercial vehicle/truck tractor and trailer/ <insert other type of motor vehicle>).]

[The term highway describes any area publicly maintained and open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel, and includes a street.]

[The term (motor vehicle/ [and] highway) (is/are) defined in another instruction to which you should refer.]

Well by definition that is exhibition of Speed and you are breaking the law.

Of course, the way most folks drive today would have counted as an exhibition of speed in the 1960s. You would either have to be really blatant about it or else the policeman would have to be having a really bad day for you to actually get a ticket.