Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are not going to move furniture with this on a daily basis, but if that's what you want get a truck.

Smaller car doesn't necessary mean less storage. The concern here is that the opening isn't large enough to be able to even put stuff into the car. Even a moving truck looses utility if the doors are only as large as a laptop.

I could see this rear trunk possibly being problem for some people going to buy wholesale items at Costco/ Sam's Club let alone furniture.

At least the 3' still has the frunk. But we could see the trunk being significantly smaller than we we're used to seeing given sacrifices for interior leg room.

Reactions: AnOutsider
Smaller car doesn't necessary mean less storage. The concern here is that the opening isn't large enough to be able to even put stuff into the car. Even a moving truck looses utility if the doors are only as large as a laptop.

I could see this rear trunk possibly being problem for some people going to buy wholesale items at Costco/ Sam's Club let alone furniture.

At least the 3' still has the frunk. But we could see the trunk being significantly smaller than we we're used to seeing given sacrifices for interior leg room.
Let's not freak out until we see actual images of the trunk opening and people failing to fit standard shopping items in it.

Reactions: jwilf
Let's not freak out until we see actual images of the trunk opening and people failing to fit standard shopping items in it.

I'm sure the car is more than capable for normal shopping. Just curious why they might have gone that direction.
Looking at the wire photos, it does look like the rear wheel wells might take space from the trunk but the floor of the trunk might also be quite deeper than where the bumper starts (similar to X and S)

I'm sure the car is more than capable for normal shopping. Just curious why they might have gone that direction.
Looking at the wire photos, it does look like the rear wheel wells might take space from the trunk but the floor of the trunk might also be quite deeper than where the bumper starts (similar to X and S)
I think the key may be what Elon said about the need for more headspace and trying to avoid the claustrofobic feel of the back seats of smaller cars. The went for the end to end glass feel of the roofline and this resulted in a solid piece of glass. They could have cut it somewhere and go for a fancy seal design... but given what happened to X I can appreciate why they didn't want to even go near that.

End of the day, it will be actual buyers voting with heir wallets on these compromises (like the X no roof storage, non folding second row), but there are plenty of successful cars out there with normal trunks. I own a hatchback, but if i had 35k to spend on a car this would not be a deal-breaker for me.

Opening the trunk.

upload_2016-4-1_7-38-11.png

Reactions: Az_Rael
Not sure what to think about the trunk. Have to make compromises somewhere, this is probably something they will be working on. Agree with above, loading luggage looks hard, even if the space is reasonable (compared my 3 series and acura TL the space looks bigger).

in that footage the opening looks a little better or worse depending on viewing angle.

Not sure what to think about the trunk. Have to make compromises somewhere, this is probably something they will be working on. Agree with above, loading luggage looks hard, even if the space is reasonable (compared my 3 series and acura TL the space looks bigger).

The width and height of the trunk opening look similar to my Honda Civic, although the depth (inwards towards the car) seems shallower. This could make it more difficult to access items deeper in the trunk.

I was hoping for a lift-back like Model S, but I guess the large rear glass precludes that design. Taller cargo space will have to wait for the "Model Y" sibling.

I wonder if some of the design choices to have a trunk rather than a hatch have to do with NVH (noise vibration harshness) considerations. A trunk that is closed off from the main cabin typically provides better sound insulation from the rear wheels than an open cargo hatch area, which can act as a resonator. Anyways, the Model 3 trunk is fine with me. It's not too different than what I have now, and the addition of the frunk provides additional storage.

Anyone have a picture of how hatch area of the Bolt works and how much space it has? Although ugly compared to the Model 3, the Bolt might work better with families with dogs. I will probably just wait and hope for better with the Model Y.