Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has any of this been addressed in a 2022 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at switching up my Audi SQ5 and dip my toes into the electric world.

Model Y hits many of the checkpoints, but when I drove one over a year ago I was sorely disappointed. The car lacked many of the features I had in my AUDI for years - and not looking to downgrade. I am reaching out to see if any of these have been addressed for the 2022 model year!!

1. Ride Harshness - My sq5 rides like a dream on air suspension. The Model Y seemed harsher and more stiff then all my sports cars of previous years! This is gonna be a daily driver and a kid hauler for me, I don't need the suspension for a track setup. I drove models on 19 and 20" wheels. Imagine the performance on the 21" is even harsher.

2. No Heads up Display (especially for speed) - I don't believe Tesla added that to any cars yet?

3. No Blind Spot mirror indicators (I know it shows cars next to you in screen, but I don't want to look in the MIRROR and to the SCREEN before I merge!) I assume this is still absent on all models?

4. Window Insulation (my audi has dual pane windows, whisper quiet on city streets and esp freeway). Model Y insulation and noise inside the car (especially outside noise) was more pronounced. I'm on the phone quite a bit in my car and want it as insulated as possible. Has this been remedied?

5. 360 Camera! For all the tech that teslas have, I can't believe this is just not standard. I've had 360 cameras for years now on cars and was disappointed that this feature was lacking.

6. There is no homelink / garage door opener buttons in visor or mirror. Has this been added or is this all also controlled through the screen?

Many other competitors are now coming to market and I would also strongly consider a Taycan and a Audi Etron S Sportback.

Thanks for any / all feedback especially for those that have a '22 after being in a previous MY before.

1. Ride Harshness - My sq5 rides like a dream on air suspension. The Model Y seemed harsher and more stiff then all my sports cars of previous years! This is gonna be a daily driver and a kid hauler for me, I don't need the suspension for a track setup. I drove models on 19 and 20" wheels. Imagine the performance on the 21" is even harsher.
After 3,000 miles the harsh ride in my 2022 model y performance eased up a bit. Now I love the ride. Initially I thought I’d need coil overs & 19 inch tires in order to keep my sanity. My kids and wife never had ride issues. My suggestion, try to rent a 2022 with 3,000 or more miles on it. This allows time for tires and suspension to break in.

2. No Heads up Display (especially for speed) - I don't believe Tesla added that to any cars yet?
Not included yet but you can install a third party behind the steering wheel unit which mimics the info seen in model s&x. Try searching for hansshow 9 inch Linux or tesla CarPlay on YouTube. Many of The units add apple CarPlay & Anderoid auto.

3. No Blind Spot mirror indicators (I know it shows cars next to you in screen, but I don't want to look in the MIRROR and to the SCREEN before I merge!) I assume this is still absent on all models?
Nothing yet.
4. Window Insulation (my audi has dual pane windows, whisper quiet on city streets and esp freeway). Model Y insulation and noise inside the car (especially outside noise) was more pronounced. I'm on the phone quite a bit in my car and want it as insulated as possible. Has this been remedied?
Front side windows are double pane glass. Maybe rear windows get it sometime this year…I think there was a mention of it in Chinese documents late last year…but no pictures of such glass has shown up. My kids don’t find it noisy in the rear. I am on my phone in car often too due to an employer which had a friendly attitude towards working wherever you like as long as you get the work done attitude.
5. 360 Camera! For all the tech that teslas have, I can't believe this is just not standard. I've had 360 cameras for years now on cars and was disappointed that this feature was lacking.
None yet.
6. There is no homelink / garage door opener buttons in visor or mirror. Has this been added or is this all also controlled through the screen?
Screen. But there are third party products which act as physical buttons which you can map the various car functions. Might support home link.

1. Ride Harshness
I don't have Model Y but although air suspension was promised for Model 3 in 2017, maybe smoother rides are reserved for higher priced S/X for now.

Elon Musk said not needed when your car is self-driving. When it involves self-driving just like no on LIDAR when he says no, that means no. There's no use to complain or persuade him.
3. No Blind Spot mirror indicators
No on mirrors. Only on your central screen display.
4. Window Insulation (my audi has dual pane windows
Consumer Reports gives 2022 Tesla Model Y a high score 4 out of 5.
360 Camera
It's coming! It's promised 2 years ago (unlike air suspension that's promised 5 years ago):

It's been pretty good for my 2012 Model S, 2017 Model X, and 2018 Model 3 with automatic closing when driving away and automatic opening when arriving back home.

The only manual one is to open to get out of the garage (I usually push the button on the garage's wall to open to leave and if I didn't remember to do that, I would click the button in the car on the screen display) and I also push the button on the garage's wall to close when arrived back at home.

The Tesla HomeLink button is still on the central screen.
Many other competitors are now coming to market...
"Coming" is the keyword. That's future tense. There are currently no competitors right now. There are way more customers waiting in line than Tesla can supply.

---
You might be familiar with Audi customer service but I think if you want to own a Tesla, you might need to be more self-efficient (a nice word for less being choosy) because I am not sure Tesla customer service is the right fit for you:

Last edited:
I'm looking at switching up my Audi SQ5 and dip my toes into the electric world.

Model Y hits many of the checkpoints, but when I drove one over a year ago I was sorely disappointed. The car lacked many of the features I had in my AUDI for years - and not looking to downgrade. I am reaching out to see if any of these have been addressed for the 2022 model year!!

I have a July 2020 MY with 19” wheels and the ride sucks. I came from an A4 and it pales by comparison. Don’t expect it to ’soften up’ after a few thousand miles. I’m 16,000 miles in and trying to decide if I need to shell out for a suspension upgrade.
No, don’t hold your breath.
Yes. They’ve tried to use the camera hack but it’s a poor substitute, as you noticed. The system in my A4 was far better. It does have a warning system and I will say I haven’t missed the warning lights like I thought I might.
I doubt many cars will be as quiet as your SQ5 - there are some kits to improve the noise levels. I don’t find it objectionable so I haven’t tried them.
No - others have asked for this as well but Tesla’s given no indication there will be one.
Homelink is not included but can be purchased separately from Tesla for about $300 including installation. It includes a GPS component so it will automatically open/close your garage door when you arrive/leave.
Many other competitors are now coming to market and I would also strongly consider a Taycan and a Audi Etron S Sportback.

Thanks for any / all feedback especially for those that have a '22 after being in a previous MY before.
I haven’t looked recently. Last I checked, the etron wasn’t a good alternative. Can’t speak to the Taycan.

I went from a 2016 SQ5, I don't miss any of the items mentioned. It had 66K miles and rode worse than the brand new tesla.

The home link is a nice add on. Some will complain about having to spend $300 more. I looked at the audi E trons on the lot. it just felt like the same car we already had and no frunk and 10k markup putting it over 90k

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIPE and CaseyL