Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's the ride quality and the noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife bought a new Model Y LR last year after her Audi Q5 was wrecked by a distracted teenager. The Y is supposedly equipped with the "comfort" suspension, but to me the interior noise and the ride quality are very disappointing. The suspension feels almost as stiff as a Porsche 911's and there's lots of low frequency boominess coming from the chassis on anything but glass smooth tarmac. By comparison, the Audi was much quieter and had a magic carpet ride. To that end, I'm curious to know whether the Cybertruck exhibits similar dynamic attributes. Did Tesla get it right or did they rush it out the door without sweating the ride/suspension details like a typical legacy auto manufacturer? Hopefully I get the opportunity to test drive one soon..

To that end, I'm curious to know whether the Cybertruck exhibits similar dynamic attributes. Did Tesla get it right or did they rush it out the door without sweating the ride/suspension details like a typical legacy auto manufacturer?
This is talked about in many of the videos. It does not sound like you have watched that many Cybertruck review videos IMO if you are asking this.

ride quality is actually good, its very ridged for a truck, but can handle on road. You forget youre in a truck until it comes to a higher speed turn. Does not turn like a car, after all it's a pretty big truck in my opinion, I used to drive a Tacoma.

I'll also say it's very quiet if not more so than my model S.

ride quality is actually good, its very ridged for a truck, but can handle on road. You forget youre in a truck until it comes to a higher speed turn. Does not turn like a car, after all it's a pretty big truck in my opinion, I used to drive a Tacoma.

I'll also say it's very quiet if not more so than my model S.
"Rigid" isn't necessarily a good ride quality attribute. I'm not saying I want the Cybertruck to float and wallow down the road like a 1970s Buick but it would be nice if the ride quality wasn't harsh and bouncy like a Model Y.

My wife bought a new Model Y LR last year after her Audi Q5 was wrecked by a distracted teenager. The Y is supposedly equipped with the "comfort" suspension, but to me the interior noise and the ride quality are very disappointing. The suspension feels almost as stiff as a Porsche 911's and there's lots of low frequency boominess coming from the chassis on anything but glass smooth tarmac. By comparison, the Audi was much quieter and had a magic carpet ride. To that end, I'm curious to know whether the Cybertruck exhibits similar dynamic attributes. Did Tesla get it right or did they rush it out the door without sweating the ride/suspension details like a typical legacy auto manufacturer? Hopefully I get the opportunity to test drive one soon..

The Y does not ride like a 911. Modern 911s are sporty and provide excellent feedback. The Y has terrible dampening and blows through its travel.

The Y does not ride like a 911. Modern 911s are sporty and provide excellent feedback. The Y has terrible dampening and blows through its travel.
Ahh, I see I stirred the interest of a p-car enthusiast. To be clear, Porsche 911s have a very firm and stiff suspension. The Model Y also has a very firm and stiff suspension, much moreso than a vehicle in its category should. That's why I made the comparison. And I'm hoping the Cybertruck isn't like the Model Y in this regard. Save it for the Roadster.

(I used to own a 2010 Carrera S so I have some experience in this area..)

Most that I've seen indicate it is surprisingly quiet ... especially with the AT tires. Honestly I was surprised to hear that so I distinctly recall it coming up on a few of them.

Keep in mind most of the Tesla YouTubers are shills that kiss up to Tesla, or face being put on their sh*t list. Ask Rich Rebuilds what happens when you don't say nice things about Tesla. It cost him a free Roadster and all the benefits when they cancelled his referral account, plus he won't be getting any invites to any events. And also keep in mind that many owners of Tesla's made bad previous car buying decisions, so anything is an upgrade to them. And many are comparing to other Tesla's they own that sets a very low bar.

That being said, I have seen several videos where they do complain about the road noise, wind noise, and gear whine from the drive units.

My Model 3 and Model S were close to the worst riding cars I have ever been in, and that's why they are no longer around. The Model 3 was absolutely horrible, so I thought upgrading to the Model S would fix that problem. The Model S is much better than the Model 3, but then I realized life is too short to be riding around cars designed and engineered by people that have no clue about making a good chassis.

So I see only one other owner report. With much respect pun intended. I don't trust any of them tubers to hear my ears, nor should you believe my thoughts. Find a friend try it out.

I find it very quiet. Looking at the cars I have. The earlier models are quite a bit louder than the cybertruck. At 7,000 miles now. 50/50 roughly city/non. Very happy with sound quality, and imagine with all seasons it would be even quieter. Had a leaky rear drivers side seal. Fixed it in 30 seconds by my self. Drive much on dirt.

There are the things one hears in the absence of other sounds. Not sure I would say they are loud, just some not familiar with sounds. Sounds that people are not familiar with often resonate as louder. I can easily carry on a phone conversation at 75-80 without someone saying where are you?

The type of ride is a completely different conversation. Happy to go into that. Not here.

Reactions: Suns_PSD