Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about trading my Model Y for a used Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving a Standard Range Model Y for the last three years. Been noticing a lot of great deals on used Model 3s lately especially if you can get one under $25,000 and get the $4,000 tax credit. So I've been seriously pondering trading cars. If I did I'd for sure want to get a LR Model 3.

Today I took a quick test drive of a 2019 Model 3 LR. I really liked the way it drove and handled, etc. I liked the smaller, tighter feel. What I didn't like is the road and motor noise at low speeds. I think this is likely due to not having insulated glass like the newer cars.

So, a few questions as I research this:
  1. What would you consider a minimum model year?
  2. Don't most 2022 Model 3s have the AMD CPU?
  3. I believe 2021 is when heat pumps were implemented, correct?
Wishfully thinking I'd like to find the newest Model 3 LR at a good price point.

Also, have you gone from a Model Y to a Model 3? What were your reasons?

2. Yes
3. Yes... 2021 Model Year. Mine was purchased Dec 2020 and has a heat pump but Atom processor.

1. I'd say as long as it has a heat pump, but Tesla makes changes all throughout every year. You'll have to choose based on what you want.

The Atom processor is totally fine performance-wise for all driving related tasks. You don't get access to Steam with the 3/Y, so I'm not sure what the real added value of Ryzen is except perhaps future proofing. Nothing is slow with the Atom.

I can't imagine Tesla pushing an update that cripples the performance of the UI for Atom cars... it'd be a safety issue.

Edit: just to clarify, Atom is also fine for all the games on the 3/Y. Everything runs good.

I've had a 2019 long range AWD since new, and I have FSD (it was $6k when I got it) and acceleration boost. I recently drove a Highland Model 3 and a 2023 Model 3 a few months before that. It's a noticeable difference in terms of build quality and noise, but it's the same basic experience. As far as the processor goes, the only difference I really notice is load time for streaming apps.

Wind noise is lower on the new ones but you still hear tire noise on certain surfaces. My 2019 had Homelink built in and frunk hooks (not a big deal). Battery degradation has been stable at about 7 percent for years. For the heat pump, I've road tripped 500 miles in the winter with no issues on a pre heat pump car. You're more limited by the spacing of the charging stations. The real world road trip range isn't going to be much different in many scenarios. The money saved on more efficiency of a heat pump car does not outweigh the money saved by buying a more depreciated older car as long as the battery is ok.

I would recommend looking for a "Stealth" performance Model 3, or a used one with acceleration boost and FSD. The stealth had the same wheels and suspension as the long range AWD cars, but more acceleration. FSD was much cheaper back then and more people paid for it. Also, LR AWD with acceleration boost accelerates about as fast as a Performance Y.

I think what bothered me was the motor noise was more of an issue on the 2019 up to about 35 miles an hour. After that it didn't bother me, guess I didn't hear it or the wind noise took over. But at higher speeds I really had no complaints about noise.

Guess my question is around what model year did that low speed motor noise get quieted? Or, am I just spoiled because my on Model Y and the loaner I don't recall hearing that kind of noise (at least in a way I found annoying).

Do consider your height, Model3 with its internal dimensions while spacious can cause leg pain if you are tall (I am 5'10). The seats are super comfy but its basic science on how much of your thighs would be on the seat. So take a long test drive and see if its comfortable.

Do consider your height, Model3 with its internal dimensions while spacious can cause leg pain if you are tall (I am 5'10). The seats are super comfy but its basic science on how much of your thighs would be on the seat. So take a long test drive and see if its comfortable.
Yeah, that's the most important difference between the two for me in the end. I'm in my car a lot, not always just driving. I'm self employed and run around a lot during the day. Sometimes having lunch in the car. Sometimes just sitting doing work. Having my legs on the floor so to speak, vs sitting in a chair is a big win for the Y.

The cargo capacity and spaciousness of the hatch and cargo is a big plus for me for the Y. The exterior styling and the slightly worse handling are the downsides.

The 3 was much more fun to drive. Just more nimble, etc. Would really enjoy it.

My Y was in the shop for a few weeks and I was kinda aching for something new. I was going to ask for a loaner 3 but then my car got done earlier than expected and I'm glad to have it back.

Reactions: tm1v2
Funny I want to go the other way with the crazy good new Y deals after tax credit, but my '19 3 SR depreciation sucks.

Hoping they bring FUSC transfer deal and I find an old S with FUSC

For Model 3, I'd take preferably the 2020 Model 3 and solely for the reason that I prefer having signal stalks rather than signal buttons. The latter just sounds like a hassle and an unnecessary change to my driving habits. Highland feels nice and I've gotten it before but I don't think it was worth the extra costs as well as the lack of the signal stalks.

Anyhow, I'm the opposite. I went from a M3 to a MY within several months. I appreciate the bigger space, (I'm on the taller side and so are my kids). It does help for me to have more leg space and road trips. I found it rather inconvenient to be out camping with a Model 3 rather than a Model Y as well. Model Y is more spacious in comparison and allows me to lie comfortably at the back and bring more stuff on the trip. YMMV, but I can totally see the reasons for changing to a M3 if space isn't your greatest concern.

2. Yes
3. Yes... 2021 Model Year. Mine was purchased Dec 2020 and has a heat pump but Atom processor.

1. I'd say as long as it has a heat pump, but Tesla makes changes all throughout every year. You'll have to choose based on what you want.

The Atom processor is totally fine performance-wise for all driving related tasks. You don't get access to Steam with the 3/Y, so I'm not sure what the real added value of Ryzen is except perhaps future proofing. Nothing is slow with the Atom.

I can't imagine Tesla pushing an update that cripples the performance of the UI for Atom cars... it'd be a safety issue.

Edit: just to clarify, Atom is also fine for all the games on the 3/Y. Everything runs good.

I guess everyone is different because I'd say by the standard of most of our everyday devices, atom felt like molasses with loading apps. Driving related features were mostly smooth. Loading the dashcam took a while. Since these are basically computers on wheels, get one with ryzen if you can.

Reactions: vickh
@timeshifter I agree the Model 3 is much more fun to drive, while the Y seat height and overall human+cargo spaciousness are a lot more comfortable and practical. If the 3 is practical enough, I say make the trade, get the fun car! 🙂

Personally I didn't like how the Model Y drove when we tested in 2021, while I instantly connected with the Model 3 and finished each test drive wanting to drive it more.

I think a 2021+ Model 3 with heat pump, double paned front glass, and the newer interior design is worthwhile. Those features may have arrived at slightly different times so check for each individually. The heat pump is really quite efficient and effective, it's a huge benefit over the resistive heating in our old Model S, and our 2021 Model 3 with double pane glass is quieter than every pre-2021 Model 3 I've driven. I also like the 2021+ interior console and door trim changes, though that is just personal preference. Older Model 3's did get real leather on the steering wheel, which is nice, and the very earliest Model 3's had leather seating too. I don't know the cutoff dates for either of those things.

At some point in mid-2021 the front passenger seat adjustable lumbar support was removed. The parts can be physically retrofitted, and there was a helpful thread here for it, but at some point Tesla blocked the controls from working on retrofitted cars in a SW update. (I imagine you could wire up the controls and the lumbar support together through your own microcontroller, bypassing the usual way they interface through the car, but that would be much more involved than just plugging in the parts.)

I think front radar was also removed mid-2021, however my understanding is all AP3/HW3 cars are now using "Vision Only" software even if they came with radar, so to get the better radar-based TACC you'd have to get a significantly older (definitely pre-2021) Model 3 with AP2.5/HW2.5, and also make sure it was never upgraded to HW3.

MCU3 (Atom) vs MCU3 (Ryzen): MCU3 is noticably faster and smoother in the UI. I think MCU2 is just fine though, heck we still get by fine with MCU1 (Tegra) in our S (usable again after its flash memory recall). I definitely see some value in MCU3 over MCU2, but to me it's of lesser importance than the 2021+ improvements (heat pump, double paned front glass, interior console + door trim).

Note there is a driving experience benefit to MCU3: The backup cam is much better with MCU3. Smoother, higher framerate, and quicker to open. With MCU2 it's laggy and stuttery. Even MCU1 in our Model S is much better at streaming its backup cam than MCU2 in our Model 3. Tesla has improved the MCU2 backup cam with SW updates, it's better than it was, especially in how long it takes to open, but it's still not great and is far behind either MCU3 or MCU1.

When driving forward there's zero driving experience difference between MCU3 vs MCU2 though! :)

Two features of note came hand-in-hand with MCU3: heated wiper rests and li-ion low voltage battery. Heated wiper rests are handy if you forget to lift your wiper blades in freezing weather. Li-ion low voltage battery is supposed to last the life of the car, or at least many more years than traditional lead-acid, and it's also not supposed to die on you without under voltage warning like lead-acid sometimes do. I consider both of these features nice to have, but not essential. They do add to the overall benefit of MCU3.

There is one notable downside to MCU3: very very few or possibly no MCU3 Model 3's ever came with front USB port data connection to the MCU. Right before the full switch to MCU3 is when Tesla stopped shipping front USB port data connections. That also means the late 2021 MCU2 Model 3's don't have it either. My October 2021 M3P with MCU2 has front USB data but it was among the last to get that. November 2021 onward didn't get front USB data. (Heck many November 2021 Model 3's left the factory without front USB ports at all, just empty holes there, due to parts shortage.)

There are 3rd party retrofit kits to add front USB data, and some folks have had success buying the official parts directly from Tesla, but others have those part orders rejected by Tesla. As the years went by Tesla removed more of the cabling or such involved in the old data path, and so the retrofit is more difficult in the newest Model 3's. Last but not least, Tesla has a track record of blocking use of unofficial retrofitted parts that a car didn't ship with (e.g. passenger lumbar, front radar). As far as I know they haven't blocked this particular unofficial retrofit, but there is risk they could in the future.

Last but not least, Tesla has softened the Model 3 suspension over the years (yes before the Highland). Whether that's good or bad really depends on your preferences. A significant softening happened around beginning of 2021 I believe, such that many folks who went from older Model 3 to a 2021 noticed a difference. Even a 2021 M3P is softer than a older M3LR. I can vouch for the ~ 2021+ softening firsthand.

I've read here that 2021 wasn't the first Model 3 suspension softening, the very earliest Model 3's had an even stiffer sportier suspension, but I'm not sure what the cutoff for that was or how real it even was. Probably no dual motor Model 3 ever had that extra sporty suspension.

In my case I would've preferred the older firmer Model 3 suspension tuning, I was disappointed by the lack of damping control in 2021's (M3P included). I upgraded ours with aftermarket coilovers which gave it vastly improved handling, and surprisingly an overall better ride too. Not a cheap upgrade, but was worth it to me for maximum handling fun.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
2021 (Sept) M3LR AWD with 83k miles. I am 6' 4". While it isn't as comfortable to drive as my Ford Expedition, I have driven long mileage days in it. In the heat of Florida, the lack of seat ventilations causes swamp @$$, glad the new M3's have this now. Atom processor is fine, I don't use any of the games or apps though. I have lumbar control and the heat pump. The 18" wheels without the aero covers look great, took them off when I first got the car and never reinstalled them and I don't notice any range difference. I am on my second set of tires (Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus) which still have life left on them after 50k miles, they also protect against curb rash. Low voltage battery and rear auto trunk latch failed at 2.5 years. I have a rough high voltage degradation of about 6% and I charge 98% of the time at home on my Tesla home charger to 80% nightly. The MY isn't as efficient as the M3.