Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard time waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I attended the double black event in Seattle last weekend. I was surprised at how aggressively the salesperson was in trying to get me to drop the MX reservation and buy a MS. I explained that I really was only interested in the SUV because of its increased height. After waiting over three years so far, I am not about to drop the reservation at this point. I suggested that I'd be happy to buy a MS now if Tesla would guarantee the value and take it in trade in 3-4 months when the MX is out. He had no interest in going down that road. I really don't understand the big push to change to MS. I'm not sure what's in it for Tesla. He was very aggressive.

Yes, I too have a hard time waiting.

I attended the double black event in Seattle last weekend. I was surprised at how aggressively the salesperson was in trying to get me to drop the MX reservation and buy a MS. I explained that I really was only interested in the SUV because of its increased height. After waiting over three years so far, I am not about to drop the reservation at this point. I suggested that I'd be happy to buy a MS now if Tesla would guarantee the value and take it in trade in 3-4 months when the MX is out. He had no interest in going down that road. I really don't understand the big push to change to MS. I'm not sure what's in it for Tesla. He was very aggressive.

As we learned in the Tesla Model X Cancellation thread, similar things have happened to others as well.

I guess Tesla sales people have quotas to meet? What may be in the interest of the sales person, may not always be the same as the company.

@og - I had a very similar experience trying to buy a demo MS since my BMW lease is up in 3 days. All I wanted to know was the current trade-in value vs the selling price and they refused to even give me that info. Don't understand why they walked away from selling me 2 cars. So I went to plan B and went on Swapalease.com and picked up a Mercedes "placeholder " to tide me over until my MX comes in (hopefully Oct/Nov).

Last edited:

I've heard too many stories about those waiting for the MX who walk out with the MS after a trip to Tesla. I fully expected a salesperson to push an immediate purchase so I decided to postpone my MS test drive to a time where I'm a little less excited about all things Tesla or after the Signature models are being delivered -- whichever comes first.
Effective salespeople tend to be aggressive. Savvy consumers are aware of this. Anyone buying a car needs to be savvy.

I've heard too many stories about those waiting for the MX who walk out with the MS after a trip to Tesla. I fully expected a salesperson to push an immediate purchase so I decided to postpone my MS test drive to a time where I'm a little less excited about all things Tesla or after the Signature models are being delivered -- whichever comes first.
Effective salespeople tend to be aggressive. Savvy consumers are aware of this. Anyone buying a car needs to be savvy.
Tesla salespeople aren't supposed to be on commission. Either they really believe in the mission, and push the cars hard, or there is some other reward/incentive for closing a sale.

I specifically asked, as I didn't want someone at Natick to spend time with me on a test drive and then go order on-line, leaving them without a commission. It sounded like the store gets credit for any sale in their geographic area, regardless of how it gets sold.

My assumption was that it was company directed to whittle down the MX list a bit and get people in Teslas now. I did a test drive before reserving an X a few days later, and while the sales person was far from pushy they were sure to show how all my needs could be met by a MS. Since the dual motors came out we've been called a couple times about trying it out, and honestly my wife is perfectly fine with a dual motor S if I wanted to change. The MS is an awesome car, and i think sometimes it just takes someone walking you through your concerns to come to the conclusion that you may be better served changing to an MS instead of waiting on the X.

I'm shocked that it's April 2015 and not only hasn't a single Model X been delivered, the car in its final form hasn't even been revealed in a big announcement. I have a reservation in the 6,000s, and I suspect it'll be 2016 before I take delivery. Ugh. Here I come, leasetrader/swapalease.

Yes of course, guess why I'm lurking here every day. I too can lament about the long wait. I have waited quite long, being in the signature 200s. Adding yet another child (third) to my family has encouraged me to keep waiting for the vehicle perfectly suited for my situation. It's almost here! Right around the corner! Having visited the store dozens of times, I can say that I personally have never been pressured into the S. Maybe they know my situation too well. I'm sure there have been a number of other buyers that have gone through situation changes that have led to X cancellations. Understandable knowing the long wait...

Just remember that anticipation is greater than realization; keep waiting!

Philip

The MS is an awesome car, and i think sometimes it just takes someone walking you through your concerns to come to the conclusion that you may be better served changing to an MS instead of waiting on the X.

Buyer's remorse warning, though, it doesn't seem unlikely Model X would launch with some unique new features one might miss in their brand new Model S then.

I think one should rarely allow someone else's agenda to affect such a big purchase. I would stay away from the influence of the sales pitch - for someone this is merely a mental exercise, for others maybe they really need to stay physically away - and decide for oneself in peace.

Buyer's remorse warning, though, it doesn't seem unlikely Model X would launch with some unique new features one might miss in their brand new Model S then.

I think one should rarely allow someone else's agenda to affect such a big purchase. I would stay away from the influence of the sales pitch - for someone this is merely a mental exercise, for others maybe they really need to stay physically away - and decide for oneself in peace.

Agreed +AnxietyRanger. Always good to sleep on it, maybe for more than one night. In regards to buyer's remorse, a buyer theoretically felt comfortable with the product at the time of purchase. It's the same thing with smartphones. There is always something better almost immediately after purchase. I don't mind getting a new smartphone every year, but a car is a whole different matter. I actually hope to keep the car for a decade at least. Driving a 2002 BMW now. And I've had several years to "sleep on it" now too :)

I fully agree, and that is the main reason I'm not switching to an MS. I also will keep this car a very long time, so waiting to see how the cards fall is no problem for me... provided my high mileage German car hands in there long enough.

+1 guys.

...and just to be clear, I am not at all against someone deciding to buy a Model S instead of a Model X. I would just recommend they do it because they feel it is the best choice for them, not because a sales person wants to meet a quota. :)

While new features appear to products all the time, the Model X launch is the closest of a "new model year" for Tesla in 2015 and the expectation that it might usher in major new features for Model X and perhaps Model S too, is not unreasonable. One may be wise to factor that in.

After three years of waiting, there is no way I would cancel without at least seeing what the MX is. I don't know how we could possibly be more than three months away from a reveal. Every hint, indication, gut feel.... All seem to indicate June for a reveal. If someone can't say no to the sales people, I would suggest don't go. Personally, I just told them not interested.

It's the same thing with smartphones. There is always something better almost immediately after purchase. I don't mind getting a new smartphone every year, but a car is a whole different matter.

In my opinion, buying a Tesla is more like buying an electronic device than a traditional car. When you do decide to jump in, it's best not to look back. There's little doubt that improvements will be implemented after you buy that you will miss out on. Just look at the signature cars vs. the ones rolling off the assembly line today. The X will go through similar changes, and perhaps even more drastic if there's a breakthrough in battery technology in a few years, as seems to be predicted. But waiting means you miss out on driving the car, which gives me pleasure every day, and none of us are getting any younger.

The X will go through similar changes, and perhaps even more drastic if there's a breakthrough in battery technology in a few years, as seems to be predicted. But waiting means you miss out on driving the car, which gives me pleasure every day, and none of us are getting any younger.

Nailed it.

It will always be the car you paid for (well, in Tesla's case, it will improve with new software) - if we spent all our time worrying about what was coming next, we'd be paralyzed. No computers, no new cars, nothing ... because we'd be waiting for the next version out of fear.

My Roadster is crude, especially in comparison the the Model S. And I've loved driving it just about every single day for 4 years.

In my opinion, buying a Tesla is more like buying an electronic device than a traditional car. When you do decide to jump in, it's best not to look back. There's little doubt that improvements will be implemented after you buy that you will miss out on. Just look at the signature cars vs. the ones rolling off the assembly line today. The X will go through similar changes, and perhaps even more drastic if there's a breakthrough in battery technology in a few years, as seems to be predicted. But waiting means you miss out on driving the car, which gives me pleasure every day, and none of us are getting any younger.

While I agree that after one decides to jump in it is best not to look backwards, there certainly is plenty of reason to look forwards before one makes the decision to jump in. What the right tíme to jump in - or not - is a very personal decision. It is a big purchase and while one can never be sure with unofficial information, it is often the only thing there is to help with the decision. Manufacturers guard their secrets for their own business interests, so we can't rely on them (let alone their salesperson) to tell. We have heard stories of the sales pitch creating a premature purchase that later disappointed exactly for this reason.

For every ten smaller heated steering wheels, carbon spoilers and parking sensors (which I'm sure Model X will go through very quickly too) there are a few big "D" moments. This is true for any car. And this is why this year matters in particular. Model X launch is likely to be more akin to a "D" moment than addition of carbon spoiler and thus it is probably something one would be wise to check out for this type of particular customer, because it can be a big deal and can affect Model S afterwards as well. If such things matter to that particular buyer and, of course, if the timing works for them, it might be wise to wait rather than to rush a Model S purchase before.

I would rather there not be (m)any disappointed brand new late 2015 P85D (or whatever model) owners on TMC who are bummed they missed out something launched with Model X, but rather such brand new owners who went with their choice with eyes wide open and made a best decision for them. There is also another reason why I say this: Model S is approaching the middle of the (based on Tesla/Elon comments as well as industry standards) its expected product lifespan this year. A facelift together with whatever news come with the Model X launch does seem possible late this year, or at least some significant changes, after that year or so no major changes moratorium Tesla set in their investor letter expires.

On most any given year, I'd say buy any time when the timing suits you, but this year... if you are sensitive about these things, check out what news comes out of Tesla at Model X launch - and if you're into the Model S wait a while to see what those changes mean for Model S when the "moratorium" ends. Just like I would have said to anyone before who absolutely wanted an AWD Tesla, to wait for that launch, prior to "D". The absolutely worst idea is buying because a sales person said it was a good idea, their interest is not lined up with yours. :)

All this said, this will not matter to all people and all situations, and they should make happy decisions otherwise. I bought a Model S for myself to tide me over in 2014, because it worked for me - even with knowledge an all-wheel drive option Model S was coming. But personally I did that because Model X was coming at some point and I would be able to upgrade to it, otherwise I would have been wiser - for my personal needs - to wait for at least the "D".

So, OP & co. my advice: Gather information from all kinds of sources and then make the best decision for you - and forget about everything else after that, because it will be you living with that purchase decision, not us (well, we may live with your reaction here) and least of all the sales person at the store who made the pitch.