Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Aussie EV Road trips - Live to drive - Drive to Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first M3H roadtrip is now all planned.

Heading down to Melbourne for a few days to visit some friends, then going to do the Great Ocean Road, heading to the Barossa for a few nights then Mclarren Vale for a few more (would have made more sense to reverse that but oh well), one more night in Glenelg before we head back to Canberra, with a night stopover in Shepparton.

Should be a good trip.

I skipped Exeter today as it was showing as down in the car, but up in the app! Ended up charging in Goulburn, but it’s good we picked up dinner from Oliver’s in Gundagai. This is my first MEL-SYD MY RWD road trip - 11:30 hours all up.

I assume you needed to stop 3 times in RWD?

My trip in Feb was my first solo Syd-Mel drive in the Model 3 LR. I stopped to charge twice and the trip door-to-door (basically CBD to CBD) was 10h43m. Charging cost $65.

I assume you needed to stop 3 times in RWD?

My trip in Feb was my first solo Syd-Mel drive in the Model 3 LR. I stopped to charge twice and the trip door-to-door (basically CBD to CBD) was 10h43m. Charging cost $65.
Three times would have worked. But Glenrowan Maccas didn’t seem to have a drive thru, so ended up charging there at the BP pulse station. Euroa->Glenrowan->Gundagai->Goulburn. I had 40% charge at my final destination. I could have easily shaved off an hour if we had stuck to the charge time recommended in the nav. But a human family of 4 takes longer to recharge. 😅

Reactions: Vostok
What was your starting and ending Soc and which superchargers if any?

I left on 100% and stopped at Yass and Wangaratta superchargers. I don’t recall what my end SoC was… somewhere around 35-40%.

I stopped at Yass for 50 minutes for a sit-down lunch and charged to 99%. Not because I necessarily wanted to charge to that level, that’s just where it got to by the time I got back after lunch.

I stopped at Wangaratta for 40 minutes for a leg stretch, cool drink and doing emails. I think charged to about 90%.

Total trip time would have been less with 3 or 4 stops of only 15-20 minutes each but I wasn’t trying to minimise total trip time.

Reactions: moa999
Four times in my 2020.. Goulburn, Gundagai, Albury, Euroa.. but each charge only 15-23min. Only charging to max 75%.

More stops can be quicker due to the slowdown in charging particularly if you need to charge into the 90s to make the next charger.
This is my Model Y SR. It can comfortably do it in 2 stops. But it's not the fastest way.

1712292646865.png

3 stops is faster, as you are charging more in the faster part of the charge curve.

1712292722701.png

Stopping at Exeter doesn't add to the travel time. But it does mean 4 stops. Though if Exeter has vacant chargers, I'll always stop because it's such a short transition off the highway.

1712293342430.png

Here's the video - Part 1 of the Great Barossa Road Trip (Canberra to Melbourne)

It’s weird that the auto lane change out of the overtaking lane doesn’t work because of road camber. The front cameras are located higher than our eyes and the side pillar cameras are in line with our eyes and we can see the lane lines. Looks like a labelling issue with the old code.

It’s weird that the auto lane change out of the overtaking lane doesn’t work because of road camber. The front cameras are located higher than our eyes and the side pillar cameras are in line with our eyes and we can see the lane lines. Looks like a labelling issue with the old code.
Could very well be right. It only ever did it for me going from right to left lane and everyone else seems the same, so it's got to be more than just the camber, though I think it is still camber related as it has never done it for me on other highways or even other parts of the Hume that didn't have a significant camber.

Haven't heard of it happening in the US, so it could be something with our legacy code.

Reactions: SPadival
Haven't heard of it happening in the US, so it could be something with our legacy code.
I suspect so.

There are some bits of road where it just doesn't want to change lanes. 100-200m later, no problem.

It doesn't particularly concern me because I know that at some stage that code will be upgraded, and it's not a problem that causes alarm or discomfort.