Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Vehicle supplement in the Nine newspapers - and Drive EV special on at noon (27 May)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People look at BYD as the poor man's Tesla. Electric "Great Wall" that will fall apart.
I'm not saying it's true. I'm thankful that we get Shanghai Teslas and not US makes. But sometimes we need to get out our tech-bro-bubble.
There was a time when the Korean manufacturers were considered very low-end by the local market - now Hyundai sells plenty of i30s and similar.

It's hard to believe now, but even earlier it was the Japanese manufacturers who were considered the builders of poorly-made knockoffs - now there isn't a manufacturer with a better reputation for quality than Toyota. No self-respecting insurgency or guerilla army anywhere in the world would mount their machine guns in the tray of anything but a Hilux!

I suspect the Chinese manufacturers are on the same journey now.

Admittedly missed the first 5 minutes, but we’re 40 minutes in and other than some B roll showing Teslas being plugged in not so much as a mention. How bizarre.
Given that the ratio of program to advertising is about 50-50 I think Teslas no advertising policy has influenced the editorial decisions.
That isn't a concern. Once people experience the buying process and delays for other brands, they give up and order a Tesla anyway.

I suspect the Chinese manufacturers are on the same journey now.
This was the case in the 2010s with ICE cars, in the 2020s especially the quality out of Tesla Shanghai, Chinese EVs quality is on par. Remember EVs don't have fidgety combustion engines and the Chinese are really good at electric motors, lithium batteries, LEDs, and electronics.

All key parts of an EV, look at the reputation DJI has in drones and acquisitions such as Ninebot merging with Segway. Tesla have recognised the Chinese lead in these key areas and benefited from it with Giga Shanghai. A lot of wind turbines come out of China and generators in the turbines are just motors running backwards. Electric motors are also a key component for automation in factories.

Tesla could be looking to Mexico for NA builds in part for an improvement in quality.