Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Vehicle supplement in the Nine newspapers - and Drive EV special on at noon (27 May)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
In today’s SMH/Age there is a “Drive” 12 page supplement on EVs. It seems to be available only in the printed edition or in the downloadable PDF replica if you are are subscriber. It does not appear to be on the “Drive” website (note Nine no longer owns the Drive brand).

There is also a TV programme on today at noon on Nine - “Living with Electric Vehicles”:

Join the Drive team for an in-depth look at how everyday Australians are living with electric vehicles
It might be interesting to watch, to see either how cringeworthy or refreshingly accurate it is.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Admittedly missed the first 5 minutes, but we’re 40 minutes in and other than some B roll showing Teslas being plugged in not so much as a mention. How bizarre.
Given that the ratio of program to advertising is about 50-50 I think Teslas no advertising policy has influenced the editorial decisions.

Admittedly missed the first 5 minutes, but we’re 40 minutes in and other than some B roll showing Teslas being plugged in not so much as a mention. How bizarre.
Given that the ratio of program to advertising is about 50-50 I think Teslas no advertising policy has influenced the editorial decisions.
A lot of these TV shows are just advertising in a new form. Yes cringe worthy at time.
So yes we half mention Tesla, BYD etc
Although this show brought to you by Volvo, Kia, Hyundai and BMW :)

Reactions: Hungry Mile
All that marketing money spent by Audi, Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Polestar and BMW has really given Tesla a spanking in Australia, only 62% EV market share is poor for a company that has 2 models and 5 colours. Bankwuptcy is at the door…😂
Australia won’t bankrupt or make riches for any car manufacturer, but looking at it without the tesla lense…Tesla no longer sell sufficient RHD globally of S or X to justify making them, so clearly that market share has gone to others. The issue in Australia is tesla have stock. The cars mentioned are mostly decent (so not the bmw or audi offerings) and some in hot demand so they sell out instantly, but receive less stock. I think the MG ZS may have recently outsold tesla in australia.
but every EV sale is a good thing, regardless of who made it.

So I haven't owned a Tesla yet (MYLR ordered) but I've driven a couple of MY's a few times and my assessment is that they are a terrific vehicle to drive, with limited expeience at least as good as any. I'm an old bloke now and we've been fortunate enough to own a range of what would be deemed as 'luxury' vehicles over the past 35 years and I've never been more excited about taking delivery of a car than our MY. I don't give a toss what anyone in the media has to say.

Except for BYD maybe.
I predict BYD will exit the AU market and stop supporting existing owners (software & servicing) by end of 2026.
Nah I say they around for a while although maybe someone else take over running in OZ.
I know when we enquired re BYD before we brought the Tesla they pretty useless. Needed to put a $1k refundable deposit to test drive I said NO.

Australia won’t bankrupt or make riches for any car manufacturer, but looking at it without the tesla lense…Tesla no longer sell sufficient RHD globally of S or X to justify making them, so clearly that market share has gone to others.
I was disappointed in this move but we RHD markets are the minority so I get it.
I was going to replace my P100D with a Plaid ever since they announced the 'real' steering wheel option was a thing, but that's been crushed.
I'm just hoping there will be something close the Model-S by whoever else before my S's warranty is up.

I was disappointed in this move but we RHD markets are the minority so I get it.
I was going to replace my P100D with a Plaid ever since they announced the 'real' steering wheel option was a thing, but that's been crushed.
I'm just hoping there will be something close the Model-S by whoever else before my S's warranty is up.
Maybe you could convert to RHD locally. My son bought a RAM 2500 and had it converted here.
PS: He will be towing a 4 tonne van around Australia, he's not a redneck LOL.

Wow - that hit a nerve. Like I said - it's only a prediction.

My hypothesis is that when legacy auto makers make EVs for the same price as BYD the vast majority of Australians will go for who they know, or take the leap on a Tesla.

People look at BYD as the poor man's Tesla. Electric "Great Wall" that will fall apart.
I'm not saying it's true. I'm thankful that we get Shanghai Teslas and not US makes. But sometimes we need to get out our tech-bro-bubble.

Oh and lastly - I can see some sort of Huawei situation playing out. Overnight Huawei phones became useless pieces of glass in the west. Sure - they were spying, but how do we know BYD isn't (or how do we know Trump/Desantis won't say it enough so people believe it anyway).

So when the enthusiasts have bought their BYD, and it's uneconomical to continue RHD they will ditch us.