Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Aussie EV Road trips - Live to drive - Drive to Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is posting links to previous trip reports too self-indulgent? 🤣

Any experience in charging at popular camping grounds? Please let us know.
The only time I charged in a campground was in Kulgera NT on my road trip to Alice Springs in 2018. That’s when the 15A tail of your UMC comes into its own. I have an after market 15A UMC as early Model S were delivered without a UMC and I lost patience waiting for Tesla to supply.
At Kulgera I rented a powered site and a cabin, allowing me to recharge overnight.
IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0670.jpeg

The 32nd pure EV around Australia lap was completed yesterday, it was also the first Electric Vehicle to tow a Van-

Last edited:
Anyone got any experience doing Sydney<->BrokenHill/beyond recently ?

That’s on my to-do list this year… and a report will made once done 🙂. I’m contemplating Cameron Corner, my only reservation is whether Model 3 has enough ground clearance to drive the 150 km of unsealed but graded road from Tibooburra. I’d have no hesitation doing it in a Y.

I did Syd -> Jindabyne (via Canberra, Cooma) -> Batemans Bay (via Bega) -> Syd (via Kiama, Exeter/Sutton Forest) with a few nights in each place late last year. Probably around 1400-1500km with no charging dramas and enough to keep teen/tween interested.

Of interest:
Drive to Thredbo and scale the lofty peaks of Mount Kosciusko, then drive around to Charlotte Pass for some twisty action.
From Jindabyne to Bega via Snowy River Way and Springfield Road.. A couple of interesting places to look at including up close to a wind farm. Springfield road is mostly dirt, but in good repair. The highway down the escarpment had collapsed in places, so lots of waiting at single lane spots.
On the way up to Sutton Forest via Jamberoo Road to see Minnamurra rainforest... That little walk was so much harder than Mount K. Road up the escarpment was nice and twisty.
Pies at Heatherbrae's.

Anyway to find out the amenities available at the Tesla super chargers/other charger locations?

For eg:

Macquarie Park Tesla Super charger - Is at Macquarie Centre Shopping mall parking which has got endless list of restuarants, restrooms, other shops of all types etc(Electric Vehicle Charging)

This kind of stuff is lot more important for chargers located mid highway enroute to interstate locations as self charging and cleansing can be well accomodated along with vehicle charging sessions.

Anyway to find out the amenities available at the Tesla super chargers/other charger locations?

For eg:

Macquarie Park Tesla Super charger - Is at Macquarie Centre Shopping mall parking which has got endless list of restuarants, restrooms, other shops of all types etc(Electric Vehicle Charging)

This kind of stuff is lot more important for chargers located mid highway enroute to interstate locations as self charging and cleansing can be well accomodated along with vehicle charging sessions.
PlugShare normally has some information

Reactions: jeevas123