Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Aussie EV Road trips - Live to drive - Drive to Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back from a Sydney-Melbourne round-trip. While not “road trip” worthy in the drive-to-Alice or cross-the-Nullabor sense, it was the longest solo drive I have done since my 20s (hint: more than a decade ago 😉).

I was a little apprehensive as to how I’d fare, since I planned to do Sydney to Melbourne in a day. But it turned out to be a very easy and pleasant drive. I’m sure the lack of vibration and engine heat and noise has a lot to do with reducing driver fatigue.

It was interesting that the Tesla Nav wanted me to stop at Exeter, Gundagai and Wangaratta for a total charge time of 59 minutes and trip time of 10 hr 7 min, while ABRP told me to stop at Yass, Holbrook and Euroa for a total charge time of 40 minutes and trip of 9 hr 42 min.

In the end I did neither. I don’t normally drive for much more than 2 hours at a time but I found it so easy I stopped only twice, at Yass for 50 minutes, for a sit-down lunch, and Wangaratta for 44 minutes, for a leg stretch and cool drink.

The Yass Supercharger is great and the largest I’ve been to. 12 stalls, arranged as a pair of 6-stalls back to back. Close to the main street with lots of shops and cafes. Not too big a detour off the highway. The Wangaratta SC is hard to find and not such a great location (rooftop of a car park, with no obvious way to get down. Turns out there is a lift in the middle of the roof).

I arrived in the Melbourne CBD a little after 7pm, total trip time 10 hr 43 min. Total charging cost was $66 - less than the cost of a taxi fare from Tullamarine to the City 🤣

I used TACC on the highway almost all the time - otherwise too easy to get a speeding ticket. I didn’t realise how many fixed speed cameras there are on the VIC side (none on NSW side). I had lots of phantom braking, about a dozen instances both ways, but most of them were more ‘gentle’ than my previous experiences. TACC often got freaked out by at-grade side roads (even when no cars waiting), large shadows, and when passing vehicles stopped in the breakdown lane. Still a fail.

The trip back was a bit more sedate, leaving Melbourne yesterday afternoon and staying overnight in Albury. I could have made it to Albury in one go but had a brief stop at BP Glenrowan for a ‘short break’. My Tesla Nav has been updated to include third party chargers, but it appears that BP Pulse (at least at Glenrowan) has not made the cut yet because it did not appear in the charger list. I had to manually navigate to it, which also meant there was no battery preconditioning.

Tesla Nav also only knew about the southbound BP Pulse, it didn’t know the northbound one existed. And blimey those liquid-cooled cables on the BP Pulse units are heavy and unwieldy.

I charged to 100% overnight in Albury at a hotel with a destination charger, so didn’t check out the V4 SC at Albury, nor connect up with @dronus who was also there today 🤣.

I stopped at Yass SC again on the way back, and had a ‘discussion’ with an RV driver who approached me went through all the Sky News / Murdoch Media talking points (coal powered, batteries degrade then become environmental poison, tyres wear out faster, what happens when the car breaks down, what about crossing the Nullabor etc). I cheerfully rebutted each one and said it’s simply a magnificent car to drive, it hasn’t broken down in 4 years, and the battery will probably outlast the rest of the car. He then gave up.

The downside of using Yass heading north is that to get back on the highway, you have to do an at-grade crossing. No ramps. And only a very short merge lane on the northbound carriageway. At least with a Tesla there is no concern with the ability to accelerate insanely and safely join the fast moving traffic. But still I hate those crossings.

Total charging cost on the return leg was $59 including the destination charging which was paid.

Total trip was 1775 km, 266 kWh used, 150 Wh/km.

Just back from a Sydney-Melbourne round-trip. While not “road trip” worthy in the drive-to-Alice or cross-the-Nullabor sense, it was the longest solo drive I have done since my 20s (hint: more than a decade ago 😉).

I was a little apprehensive as to how I’d fare, since I planned to do Sydney to Melbourne in a day. But it turned out to be a very easy and pleasant drive. I’m sure the lack of vibration and engine heat and noise has a lot to do with reducing driver fatigue.

It was interesting that the Tesla Nav wanted me to stop at Exeter, Gundagai and Wangaratta for a total charge time of 59 minutes and trip time of 10 hr 7 min, while ABRP told me to stop at Yass, Holbrook and Euroa for a total charge time of 40 minutes and trip of 9 hr 42 min.

In the end I did neither. I don’t normally drive for much more than 2 hours at a time but I found it so easy I stopped only twice, at Yass for 50 minutes, for a sit-down lunch, and Wangaratta for 44 minutes, for a leg stretch and cool drink.

The Yass Supercharger is great and the largest I’ve been to. 12 stalls, arranged as a pair of 6-stalls back to back. Close to the main street with lots of shops and cafes. Not too big a detour off the highway. The Wangaratta SC is hard to find and not such a great location (rooftop of a car park, with no obvious way to get down. Turns out there is a lift in the middle of the roof).

I arrived in the Melbourne CBD a little after 7pm, total trip time 10 hr 43 min. Total charging cost was $66 - less than the cost of a taxi fare from Tullamarine to the City 🤣

I used TACC on the highway almost all the time - otherwise too easy to get a speeding ticket. I didn’t realise how many fixed speed cameras there are on the VIC side (none on NSW side). I had lots of phantom braking, about a dozen instances both ways, but most of them were more ‘gentle’ than my previous experiences. TACC often got freaked out by at-grade side roads (even when no cars waiting), large shadows, and when passing vehicles stopped in the breakdown lane. Still a fail.

The trip back was a bit more sedate, leaving Melbourne yesterday afternoon and staying overnight in Albury. I could have made it to Albury in one go but had a brief stop at BP Glenrowan for a ‘short break’. My Tesla Nav has been updated to include third party chargers, but it appears that BP Pulse (at least at Glenrowan) has not made the cut yet because it did not appear in the charger list. I had to manually navigate to it, which also meant there was no battery preconditioning.

Tesla Nav also only knew about the southbound BP Pulse, it didn’t know the northbound one existed. And blimey those liquid-cooled cables on the BP Pulse units are heavy and unwieldy.

I charged to 100% overnight in Albury at a hotel with a destination charger, so didn’t check out the V4 SC at Albury, nor connect up with @dronus who was also there today 🤣.

I stopped at Yass SC again on the way back, and had a ‘discussion’ with an RV driver who approached me went through all the Sky News / Murdoch Media talking points (coal powered, batteries degrade then become environmental poison, tyres wear out faster, what happens when the car breaks down, what about crossing the Nullabor etc). I cheerfully rebutted each one and said it’s simply a magnificent car to drive, it hasn’t broken down in 4 years, and the battery will probably outlast the rest of the car. He then gave up.

The downside of using Yass heading north is that to get back on the highway, you have to do an at-grade crossing. No ramps. And only a very short merge lane on the northbound carriageway. At least with a Tesla there is no concern with the ability to accelerate insanely and safely join the fast moving traffic. But still I hate those crossings.

Total charging cost on the return leg was $59 including the destination charging which was paid.

Total trip was 1775 km, 266 kWh used, 150 Wh/km.
Awesome write up!

I did hang around the v4 chargers for a while just in case anyone from here spotted me, the dog and i watched the lawn bowls for a while haha.

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
You don't have to - follow Yass Valley Way to the east out of town, then take the left ramp onto the Barton Hwy at the roundabout (signposted "Goulburn Gundagai"), then just take the right lane at the split following the sign to Goulburn. It goes over the Hume Hwy on a bridge and then joins it with a ramp to the left.

You don't have to - follow Yass Valley Way to the east out of town, then take the left ramp onto the Barton Hwy at the roundabout (signposted "Goulburn Gundagai"), then just take the right lane at the split following the sign to Goulburn. It goes over the Hume Hwy on a bridge and then joins it with a ramp to the left.

Ah, good to know. I just “followed orders” of the Tesla Nav 😄 which sent me the way it did.

May I please ask which one, and was it any good? When my Tesla returns, I need a weekend down there to restock on wines...

Winsor Park Motor Inn in Young St. I’m not fussy when it comes to lodging 😄 it was comfortable and quiet - I had a ground floor room away from the main street though. Overnight charging is $15 so worth it if you need a big charge. I asked them to ‘reserve’ it before I turned up.

Winsor Park Motor Inn in Young St. I’m not fussy when it comes to lodging 😄 it was comfortable and quiet - I had a ground floor room away from the main street though. Overnight charging is $15 so worth it if you need a big charge. I asked them to ‘reserve’ it before I turned up.
I just walked past bridge road brewery and billsons in Beechworth with the dog and they now have tesla connected destination chargers so (with a slight detour off the highway) they could be a place to stop in for a meal and top up. I dont drink booze but the meals are pretty decent.
I think the only time ive slept in Albury were during my army days and it was either in some bushes or a park bench near the hot dog stand after a big night at the Ritz haha

Reactions: Midnight Man
The driven has a few interviews.with big road trippers:

Reactions: aceon and Davemcd
planning a CBR to BNE trip again in April, but that hardly counts as a road trip these days, lol
Well my BNE trip got pushed back to July, so I've brought forward my Barossa trip.

Will be going in April, haven't plugged it into the Tesla yet, but taking a quick look in ABRP I think we'll head from CBR through Shepparton to ADL. Probably stay overnight to break the trip up and heading through MEL on the way back to visit some friends there.

Interested if anyone has any tips on the CBR to ADL route, road conditions, chargers etc. I've done the CBR to MEL trip several times (in ICE) and I've done MEL to ADL once as well, so I know all those roads are great.

Interested if anyone has any tips on the CBR to ADL route, road conditions, chargers etc. I've done the CBR to MEL trip several times (in ICE) and I've done MEL to ADL once as well, so I know all those roads are great.
Once you get past Shepparton just make sure you have a "spare" charger beyond your next planned one - a lot of single stall 50kW Tritiums on that route which I wouldn't want to be turning up at without a plan B.

Also, the Evie app can be confusing - a lot of those Tritiums are dual cable CCS2/Chademo, but they can only charge 1 vehicle at a time despite often painting out 2 parking spaces. The app will imply that one port is vacant when it's not (unless they've fixed it recently).

The Murray Valley highway from there up to Swan Hill is a lot more windy than it looks on a map, but it was a reasonable road last time I was on it (a while ago). Once you turn left towards Ouyen/Pinnaroo it's a good road.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jules22
Once you get past Shepparton just make sure you have a "spare" charger beyond your next planned one - a lot of single stall 50kW Tritiums on that route which I wouldn't want to be turning up at without a plan B.

Also, the Evie app can be confusing - a lot of those Tritiums are dual cable CCS2/Chademo, but they can only charge 1 vehicle at a time despite often painting out 2 parking spaces. The app will imply that one port is vacant when it's not (unless they've fixed it recently).

The Murray Valley highway from there up to Swan Hill is a lot more windy than it looks on a map, but it was a reasonable road last time I was on it (a while ago). Once you turn left towards Ouyen/Pinnaroo it's a good road.
Im currently in albury/wodonga and about to head back to adelaide this morning.

My route over last week had me go keith, horsham, bendigo , then depending how long i charged there- sheparton or direct via murchison, violet town them onto the hume

I really only had to stop at kieth, horsham and bendigo but after bendigo i jumped of at wangaratta to top up and have dinner.

Roads were pretty good, the tesla nav kept me on decent roads.

Plenty of backup chargers in all of those towns i stopped at and i used a combination of tesla, racv/nrma and evie

Ive driven the other “top route” via swan hill heaps of times in ice cars, the latest was xmas just gone, it might be ok in a LR but i wouldn’t recommend it in a rwd.

Thanks for the tips - This is the route I got from ABRP seems pretty safe. Horsham and Keith are the only non-Tesla chargers it's selected. Horsham seems to have a few other options nearby, Keith has the Tesla chargers as well.

I'll plug it into the Tesla planner later today and have a look at what it says. I discounted the route to the north as there were a number of single stall 50kw chargers as the only option, a ferry crossing and I'm not sure of the quality of those roads etc.

1708721370277.png

Here is todays route showing only tesla chargers, i guess for you, you might top up in albury at the new v4 chargers or go thru to Shepparton. All of these sites also have nrma/racv/raa also so its less stress
IMG_9330.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Jules22
If you apply the "CCS2" filter in the Evie app, it removes all the Chademo crud:

1000014991.png

And then the map shows the actual count of usable plugs for you: 1⚡, not 2.

1000014992.png

I was wondering about the dual tritiums.. not that ive seen snyone use chademo in my limited time driving an ev haha

IMG_9320.jpeg
IMG_9321.jpeg

I was wondering about the dual tritiums.. not that ive seen snyone use chademo in my limited time driving an ev haha

Yes, the catch is that the app doesn't specifically tell you that if one plug is in use the other is unavailable. It still shows it as "available".

The suggestion by gaz above to filter out by "CCS2" is helpful - as it will then only display on the map the number of CCS2 charger ports available, so if the only CCS2 port is in use, it will display a "0" on the map instead of a "1". However in the (rarer) event that the Chademo port is in use, it will still display a "1" on the map even though the CCS2 port is available but unusable.

It is also impossible to determine which chargers can actually support dual charging (e.g. Chademo and CCS2 simultaneously). Some Tritiums can, but the majority (especially the common 50kW Evie's in rural Vic) don't.

So a smarter move for Jules to go via Horsham/Keith (for some reason just assumed the Shepparton to Swan Hill route because of the mention of Barossa!).

Tesla will suggest the Supercharger in Bendigo but keep in mind Bendigo is a large-ish town and it might be quicker to bypass Bendigo and charge enough in Shepparton to reach Horsham (if Shepparton was a planned stop anyway). You can also probably get from Holbrook to Shepparton without going through Albury which is also a bit of a pain. Wodonga Supercharger is easier to get to than Albury but it's a slower one (120kW). Depends on what kind of stops you want to make (short, frequent or long and have lunch or whatever).

Nice to be able to plan it purely on Supercharging and then you can use other chargers as options en-route for alternatives to fit in with the kind of breaks you want to take. That's how I did my last MEL-SYD-MEL trip - plus I enjoyed checking out many charging options en-route. Sometimes the non-Tesla ones have better food/coffee options (but not always).

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus and Jules22
not that ive seen snyone use chademo in my limited time driving an ev haha

I have a Nissan LEAF and have used a public fast charger (CHAdeMO port) on 3 occasions in 9 years, 2 of those occasions was last year when we lost access to our garage for 2 months.

I understand that CHAdeMO sessions are only about 2% of all charging sessions on DCFCs.

The suggestion is gaz above to filter out by "CCS2" is helpful - as it will then only display on the map the number of CCS2 charger ports available, so if the only CCS2 port is in use, it will display a "0" on the map instead of a "1". However in the (rarer) event that the Chademo port is in use, it will still display a "1" on the map even though the CCS2 port is available but unusable.

It is also impossible to determine which chargers can actually support dual charging (e.g. Chademo and CCS2 simultaneously). Some Tritiums can, but the majority (especially the common 50kW Evie's in rural Vic) don't.

I’ve been meaning to take this up with Evie because it is very confusing and I think unsatisfactory. An EV driver needs to know how many ports are available that they could actually use factoring in everything:
  • Can the station charge only one car at a time, or two;
  • Does the station have two CCS2 cables on it, or one CHAdeMO and one CCS2; and
  • How many parking spaces marked for EVs are next to the station.
It’s a Venn diagram that the App doesn’t adequately communicate.

At a nearby shopping centre, Evie recently moved their two stations apart. They used to be side-by-side in front of two marked EV spaces. Each station now serves two parking spots, and the units are RTM75 which can charge two cars at once. The two stations also used to have one CHAdeMO and one CCS2 port, but the unit that was moved had the CHAdeMO plug replaced with CCS2.

So the site has gone from being able to charge 1 x CHAdeMO / 1 x CCS2, or 2 x CCS2, to being able to charge 1 x CHAdeMO / 3 x CCS2 or 4 x CCS2 simultaneously. But from an App perspective, with no filters turned on, a driver would not know this.

I think most of the RTM75s have been upgraded to support dual charging. The new Evie app seems to show it correctly for me as well - at sites like Tarcutta the pair of CCS2/CHAdeMO is shown as in-use/available together, and at sites like Beechworth the CCS2 and CHAdeMO are shown as separately in-use/available.