Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3: "A strong family resemblance [to the Model S]"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At $35K + it's not going to be an everyman car. It needs to be exciting enough to make those who can afford to load it up with options and exciting enough for those who can barely afford it buy it anyway. As has been pointed out the car segment it's targeting is not boring everyman cars.

At $35K + it's not going to be an everyman car. It needs to be exciting enough to make those who can afford to load it up with options and exciting enough for those who can barely afford it buy it anyway. As has been pointed out the car segment it's targeting is not boring everyman cars.

Franz is begging to push the envelope on design in all the interviews I read. I would bet on him to deliver a sexy ride

Millions did, it was a revolutionary car at the time. As mentioned, Gen 3 will have a family resemblance. If they manage to take that and make it boxy and bland then there is always the more premium S and X to aspire to.

281382.jpg

This, with AWD and perhaps raised a bit (or affordable air suspension), I'd buy in a heartbeat!

I've never understood the front end design of the Model S. The scowling, frowning, black nose cone which serves no purpose. It looks even worse in the upcoming Model X, and I fear it's gonna be as ugly in the Gen III.

I so wish they just punted on the whole black nosecone thing altogether, and went without anything -- shave off the 'stache, as it were, and go Studebaker Avanti / Chevy Corvette-style.

View attachment 39034
This, with AWD and perhaps raised a bit (or affordable air suspension), I'd buy in a heartbeat!
That's pretty cool, imho. I like what he did with it. The front keeps the crash area and hopefully frunk, the back still has a bit of storage but isn't much. Good way to trim overall size without changing the passenger compartment much.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, imho. I like what he did with it. The front keeps the crash area and hopefully frunk, the back still has a bit of storage but isn't much. Good way to trim overall size without changing the passenger compartment much.

Too much like the Model S. If Tesla is going to continue with their success they need to be able to design more than one look.

I doubt there will be a short hatch, as attractive as that may be, and the GatorEight sketch captures the porportions of what we’re likely to see. I just hope to not see the jowls which are showing up on new ICE designs (I guess because the species is getting a little long in the tooth).

Attachments

• jowls.jpg
    jowls.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 889
I doubt there will be a short hatch, as attractive as that may be, and the GatorEight sketch captures the porportions of what we’re likely to see. I just hope to not see the jowls which are showing up on new ICE designs (I guess because the species is getting a little long in the tooth).

My understanding is that those have to do with pedestrian safety protection--I've always thought of them as somewhat Cylon-inspired. I think they are designed to make sure the pedestrian does not submarine under the bumper.

The MS doesn't really have them, which I suppose could have something to do with the lack of powertrain hardpoints under the "hood"/frunk cover (though note that the recent Porsche designs have them, too).

2013-porsche-boxster-s-photo-445894-s-1280x782.jpg

tumblr_n5se4eCxVa1s2goxuo1_500.jpg

I've never understood the front end design of the Model S. The scowling, frowning, black nose cone which serves no purpose. It looks even worse in the upcoming Model X, and I fear it's gonna be as ugly in the Gen III.

I so wish they just punted on the whole black nosecone thing altogether, and went without anything -- shave off the 'stache, as it were, and go Studebaker Avanti / Chevy Corvette-style.

I've never understood anyone that says the nosecone looks bad. Its the face of the car, it looks great.

You guys say the nosecone looks bad then go and paint it the body color and then it actually looks bad lul.

Last edited: