Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model 3: serious software error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

elgrillo

Mar 30, 2024
Uk
I'm based in the UK. I bought a new 2023 model 3 (pre-highland) two days ago. I've done quite a lot of driving so far and everything seemed good until just now.

I parked up in a small rural town this afternoon and had dinner etc with the family. At some point during the afternoon or evening I noticed the Tesla app was suggesting that a software update was available, even though I updated the vehicle yesterday and the version number showed the same software version that I had already upgraded to.
We got back to the car and got in. Vehicle unlocked fine. The screen was black, no signs of life. We didn't know what to do. I googled and found a suggestion to reboot the thing by holding down both scroll wheel buttons for 30s, which we did. The screen attempted to reboot a couple of times and then came back to life.
However, the car is now giving 'multiple cameras blocked or blinded', 'lane departure avoidance feature unavailable' and occasionally left pillar camera blocked errors.

What is going on? Is this a common fault? I am pretty freaked out and quite pissed that this is happening in a very expensive car. Is this something I need to report to the Tesla support?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I'm based in the UK. I bought a new 2023 model 3 (pre-highland) two days ago. I've done quite a lot of driving so far and everything seemed good until just now.

I parked up in a small rural town this afternoon and had dinner etc with the family. At some point during the afternoon or evening I noticed the Tesla app was suggesting that a software update was available, even though I updated the vehicle yesterday and the version number showed the same software version that I had already upgraded to.
We got back to the car and got in. Vehicle unlocked fine. The screen was black, no signs of life. We didn't know what to do. I googled and found a suggestion to reboot the thing by holding down both scroll wheel buttons for 30s, which we did. The screen attempted to reboot a couple of times and then came back to life.
However, the car is now giving 'multiple cameras blocked or blinded', 'lane departure avoidance feature unavailable' and occasionally left pillar camera blocked errors.

A few things to keep in mind for the future:
  1. Tesla software updates are 99.9% fluff. And that fluff is never well tested nor debugged. There is absolutely no rush to install them. Especially when you are away from home.
  2. You can drive with an inoperative / black screen. Just put the car in gear and go.
  3. Get used to "cameras blinded / AP disabled" errors. They are a recurring part of Tesla ownership experience (due to sun, fog, rain, phase of the moon, etc).
What is going on? Is this a common fault? I am pretty freaked out and quite pissed that this is happening in a very expensive car. Is this something I need to report to the Tesla support?
Your particular volume of errors is a bit atypical.
Time for a "hard reboot"!?

Tesla Reboot / Power Off Procedures. Try these steps in this order, to resolve most issues:
  • Soft Reboot: Hold down both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black and continue holding for 3-10 seconds until the Tesla logo appears. Then let go.
  • Hard Reboot: Hold down both steering wheel buttons and press on the brake until the screen goes black. Continue holding until the Tesla logo appears. Then let go.
  • Power Off/On: Under Vehicle Controls -> Safety and Security > Power Off (wait 2-3 minutes before pressing the Brake). Or leave powered off overnight but plugged in). This often fixes some "AP/Cruise not available" issues.

HTH,
a

• Helpful
Reactions: primedive
Thanks for the responses folks. I am taking it to service tomorrow so we'll see what they say. There were other delivery issues to do with the thing evidently having sat out somewhere for quite a long time (moss and mould in the bottom window seals, interior hard surfaces had dust and grime all over them) so had to book a service appointment anyway.

• Soft Reboot: Hold down both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black and continue holding for 3-10 seconds until the Tesla logo appears. Then let go.
  • Hard Reboot: Hold down both steering wheel buttons and press on the brake until the screen goes black. Continue holding until the Tesla logo appears. Then let go.

Yeah, these are both "soft reboot"... the brake pedal does nothing.

A hard reboot would be like disconnecting the high voltage from under the rear seat. Search the forums first though... don't get yourself killed.