Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left front fender camera error - anyone else have this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I drive in the dark on unlit country roads, I get a blocked/blinded error from the LF fender camera. This has happened repeatedly over years (car is a 2020), and successive software updates haven’t made a difference.

I understand when it happens in wet/snowy conditions because the camera is actually dirty; that isn’t the problem. I’m talking about clear, dry conditions with a clean camera. This happens on average every 5 min, which gets really annoying on a 5 hr drive from Toronto to Ottawa. The error disappears whenever there is a bit more ambient light (cars, houses, etc).

See pic, which I shared with Tesla Service when I made the most recent service request.

IMG_6083.jpeg

I can assure you that I cleaned the lens on both fender cameras before this pic. I didn’t clean off the rear camera…

I’ve raised with Tesla service on 3 separate occasions over 3 successive years, and the response is always “this is normal behaviour”. Of course, I don’t think it is. It never happens to the RF fender camera, or others. I keep asking to replace the camera, and Tesla keeps refusing.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, I've been getting it at times on dark moonless but otherwise perfect condition nights. This in a June 2018 vehicle and only over the past few months; never prior to that. I suspect it's something that will disappear one day with a software update. It doesn't affect my FSD. The only annoyance is that it beeps, interupting my music for no good reason.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with your choice in music either...

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and fholbert
Wow I can't believe u opened a tesla service for this error. I get it all the time when only driving at nighttime from montreal to ottawa, thought it was normal behavior. Tesla was right they absolutely did not have to change the cameras, I got my new model Y and it started doing this. It's normal.

I’ve not ever received this error while driving at night. It happened twice on my 2022 Model 3 and the picture goes full black. Tesla replaced them both. I’ve not ever had this error come up either while driving and the camera just sees the road. That response from Tesla sounds janky but not at all surprising from them.

I get the camera blinded error due to sunlight beaming down on the cameras which has always been the case with these cameras. But FSD Soon™ am I right?

Every time I drive in the dark on unlit country roads, I get a blocked/blinded error from the LF fender camera. This has happened repeatedly over years (car is a 2020), and successive software updates haven’t made a difference.

I understand when it happens in wet/snowy conditions because the camera is actually dirty; that isn’t the problem. I’m talking about clear, dry conditions with a clean camera. This happens on average every 5 min, which gets really annoying on a 5 hr drive from Toronto to Ottawa. The error disappears whenever there is a bit more ambient light (cars, houses, etc).

See pic, which I shared with Tesla Service when I made the most recent service request.

View attachment 1022955
I can assure you that I cleaned the lens on both fender cameras before this pic. I didn’t clean off the rear camera…

I’ve raised with Tesla service on 3 separate occasions over 3 successive years, and the response is always “this is normal behaviour”. Of course, I don’t think it is. It never happens to the RF fender camera, or others. I keep asking to replace the camera, and Tesla keeps refusing.

Anyone else have this problem?
Happens to me every time I drive at night. I live in a rural town, so this always happens to me. Tesla Service even replaced this camera for another unrelated issue which didn't make a difference. I drive a 2018 Model 3 LR.