Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new model 3 is having constant software issues - did anyone else experience this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought my Model 3, about two weeks ago and I am having constant problems with my navigation system and cameras.

My navigation just stops working and shows my car parked in a parking lot I left days ago. All my cameras just show black screens any time they are in use. I have tried restarting, turning the car fully off, and checking for updates but nothing seems to change. The first time these issues arose they went away on their own, but only 5 days later they are happening again.

I do have a service appointment scheduled but I'm very concerned that this is happening so frequently after only 350 miles. Did anyone else have this experience? Did it get any better?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Have you rebooted? I'd try both a soft reboot (hold down both steering wheel buttons until the display shuts off) and a full reset where you do the same while holding down the brake pedal. That may fix it. Alternatively you can request that Tesla re-initiate the most recent software update by opening a service request from your app. This has fixed some issues for me in the past.

Upvote 0
That’s not right. I had one issue that I scheduled service for and when they viewed the problems, they communicated and re-initiated some over-the-air fix that totally took care of the issue. I also found my car to bit a bit twitchy in the 1st couple hundred miles. I’m not sure if it was me or the car working out some bugs. All leveled out. I hope they can help and it won’t require shop time. Good luck. Report on your progress/solution.

Upvote 0
I just bought my Model 3, about two weeks ago and I am having constant problems with my navigation system and cameras.

My navigation just stops working and shows my car parked in a parking lot I left days ago. All my cameras just show black screens any time they are in use. I have tried restarting, turning the car fully off, and checking for updates but nothing seems to change. The first time these issues arose they went away on their own, but only 5 days later they are happening again.

I do have a service appointment scheduled but I'm very concerned that this is happening so frequently after only 350 miles. Did anyone else have this experience? Did it get any better?
This sounds exactly like what I experienced after I took delivery of my 2022 M3LR. The service department took my vehicle in and had it for 3 weeks. They determined that the the "Car Computer" needed replacement, but had trouble getting one. Since the repair, I have had no problems. I have 9500 miles and have taken several trips. The Clarkston, MI. service center did provide me with a loaner. I was having trouble with the charge door not opening, so they replaced that also. Hope this helps.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
TLA,AP-T,CONN- 1.00Q,MCU-Z,M3,LEFT
HAND DRIVE(1681271-S0-D)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

UNIVERSAL MOBILE CONNECTOR,
NA(1101789-00-M)

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
Have you rebooted? I'd try both a soft reboot (hold down both steering wheel buttons until the display shuts off) and a full reset where you do the same while holding down the brake pedal. That may fix it. Alternatively you can request that Tesla re-initiate the most recent software update by opening a service request from your app. This has fixed some issues for me in the past.
Pressing the brake while rebooting makes no difference. That used to be a thing years ago, but the legend never dies. 🙂

Doing a power off from the Controls > Service menu is the way to do a deep reboot. Once you power off, don’t open any door or touch the brake or touchscreen for a few minutes.

Reactions: Thp3 and Gumball
Upvote 0
This sounds exactly like what I experienced after I took delivery of my 2022 M3LR. The service department took my vehicle in and had it for 3 weeks. They determined that the the "Car Computer" needed replacement, but had trouble getting one. Since the repair, I have had no problems. I have 9500 miles and have taken several trips. The Clarkston, MI. service center did provide me with a loaner. I was having trouble with the charge door not opening, so they replaced that also. Hope this helps.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
TLA,AP-T,CONN- 1.00Q,MCU-Z,M3,LEFT
HAND DRIVE(1681271-S0-D)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

UNIVERSAL MOBILE CONNECTOR,
NA(1101789-00-M)
Three weeks? Did the app say it would take three weeks? That’s insane. Why didn’t they let tou keep the car and bring it back only when ready.

Upvote 0
Three weeks? Did the app say it would take three weeks? That’s insane. Why didn’t they let tou keep the car and bring it back only when ready.
Initially they did not give me a completion date, but I couldn't drive it the way it was. I think it was a saftey issue, the cameras were not operational, and I had no navigation capabilities. It did take a little out of the new car expeirience, but I didn't mind too much since I had a loaner.

Upvote 0
Initially they did not give me a completion date, but I couldn't drive it the way it was. I think it was a saftey issue, the cameras were not operational, and I had no navigation capabilities. It did take a little out of the new car expeirience, but I didn't mind too much since I had a loaner.
Yea Monday I’ll have to stop by and ask for a loner. It been there since Tuesday afternoon.

Reactions: Ackman999
Upvote 0
so i went to tesla today to ask what the hold up was with the car. Estimate went from thursday to saturday. and then nothing since. First guy said he would reach out to the tech and for us to wait on the side.. all of a sudden he dissapeared and an hour later we wondering where is our update. We ask the other service receptionist they said " oh that guy helping you left for day" we about flipped. How do you not update the people you were helping. Anyway they said its the computer and they have it in stock, but its 3 to 5 business days. I said "we dropped it off tuesday, so tm is 5 days" they said they been behind lately. Anyway... not happy. Is this common from service centers?

Upvote 0
@Michael319 From reading reports of service encounters here, I'm sure you'd hear of similar stories. My own experience with Tesla Service has been pretty good over the years (Santa Clara and Sunnyvale CA). About the only time I was disappointed was when I went to the Santa Clara center and it was fairly busy with cars waiting to check in. I asked the service counter if I could purchase a charge port ECU and was told to do it by the app. In other times, I basically walked up without any appointment and bought keycards and rear side window assemblies, had a flat repaired, and another time, the two rear tires replaced. Other service calls were done by a ranger in my driveway (HW3 upgrade, new 12V battery, cabin filters) and they were there at the scheduled time; once, even earlier when I guess they had a cancellation.

Not many people will come onto a forum unprompted and report on good or pleasant interactions. Usually it's to lodge a complaint, look for help with a problem. If I may ask, where/what Tesla Service Center are you having problems with? Maybe others here that have had interactions at that location can say if this is an isolated incident or a pattern of neglect. Sorry to hear of your computer issues and hope you're taken care of.

Upvote 0
@Michael319 From reading reports of service encounters here, I'm sure you'd hear of similar stories. My own experience with Tesla Service has been pretty good over the years (Santa Clara and Sunnyvale CA). About the only time I was disappointed was when I went to the Santa Clara center and it was fairly busy with cars waiting to check in. I asked the service counter if I could purchase a charge port ECU and was told to do it by the app. In other times, I basically walked up without any appointment and bought keycards and rear side window assemblies, had a flat repaired, and another time, the two rear tires replaced. Other service calls were done by a ranger in my driveway (HW3 upgrade, new 12V battery, cabin filters) and they were there at the scheduled time; once, even earlier when I guess they had a cancellation.

Not many people will come onto a forum unprompted and report on good or pleasant interactions. Usually it's to lodge a complaint, look for help with a problem. If I may ask, where/what Tesla Service Center are you having problems with? Maybe others here that have had interactions at that location can say if this is an isolated incident or a pattern of neglect. Sorry to hear of your computer issues and hope you're taken care of.
New Jersey service center.

They said they have computer in stock. So let’s hope it’s fixed within next two days.

True people def would come to report negative. I just wasn’t sure if the 3 to 5 days was standard.

Upvote 0
so i went to tesla today to ask what the hold up was with the car. Estimate went from thursday to saturday. and then nothing since. First guy said he would reach out to the tech and for us to wait on the side.. all of a sudden he dissapeared and an hour later we wondering where is our update. We ask the other service receptionist they said " oh that guy helping you left for day" we about flipped. How do you not update the people you were helping. Anyway they said its the computer and they have it in stock, but its 3 to 5 business days. I said "we dropped it off tuesday, so tm is 5 days" they said they been behind lately. Anyway... not happy. Is this common from service centers?

Im confused. Are you the OP of this thread posting under a different name or did you just start talking about your own repair in someone elses thread?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
True people def would come to report negative. I just wasn’t sure if the 3 to 5 days was standard.
Ah, that triggers a memory about parts ordering.... Last year when I was looking around for aforementioned charge port ECU, I went to the Sunnyvale service center and placed an order for one. They said it would take several days and that they would contact me when it came in. A couple of weeks later, I still hadn't got any message from them. At that time I decided to proactively replace my 12V battery. Did this via the app. I mentioned that if they had the proper ECU version to bring it along and I'd pay for it. A few days later it shows up with the ranger :) .

Upvote 0
Seems to be a large quality spread between service centers, which I think also happens between regular dealerships as well. But that being said, the thing I don't understand is why Tesla isn't more standardized across the board since the service centers are not individually owned. The policies seem to vary quite a bit based on where you go.

Upvote 0
Have you rebooted? I'd try both a soft reboot (hold down both steering wheel buttons until the display shuts off) and a full reset where you do the same while holding down the brake pedal.
While @EVRider-FL already touched on it, it has been a while since I posted this

Putting your foot on the brake pedal while doing a Touchscreen Reset (the official name of the double thumbwheel reset) does nothing extra and is absolutely not required. It is an urban myth that seems to never go away.

So, there are three levels of "rebooting". The first two are in the NA Tesla Model 3 Manual.
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset. ALSO, adding holding down of the brake pedal does NOTHING - it's a myth.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle - See manual for details - involves sitting in the car for a couple of minutes. I guess this one could be called a "medium reset."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.

Upvote 0