Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance to object detection problem with front and rear facing cameras

Is anyone else having this issue with their 2024 Model 3?

• All responses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camera calibration issue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a 2024 Model 3 and the front and rear cameras are cloudy and not showing the decreasing distance between the car and any object when backing up or driving forward like my 2018 Model 3 did. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? My local Tesla Service Center advised that this was because this part of the software is still on "factory firmware" and that Tesla was "transitioning to Tesla Vision" and the problem would be corrected in 2 weeks. 2 weeks! This is a huge miss on a car that is completely reliant on software and casts yet another shadow on trusting Tesla's FSD software anytime soon. Not cool Tesla. The car is otherwise a great improvement on the 2018 Model 3.

I just picked up my 2024 model 3 yesterday and noticed the same issue. We have a 2022 model Y and I was expecting to see distances to an obstruction when parking. I am hoping it is a calibration issue and will be fixed soon.

When I pull into the our garage it tells me to stop when I get close to the wall (aprox 24” or so), but it does not give the distance. The area around the car shown on the screen is blurry as well. I am curious if others had this issue that cleared over time.

Cars without USS have switched over to a vision based park assist system. This means the distances shown (when it does) are no longer as accurate, especially in the front, where there is a huge blind spot for the cameras. In exchange you get a 3D rendering of the environment all around the car, as well as it showing parking lines and curbs. I believe in later versions of the non-USS software, they removed the distances, so now the distance to an object is represented instead by the color (red being closest).

Thanks for the information.

I asked Tesla about the parking degradation issue and they said that this is a normal situation for vehicles that are equipped with Tesla vision and it will improve with updates. Hopefully the updates come sooner than later.