Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to REMOVE a downloaded software update??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title is the key question, but here’s the backstory:
  1. Highland Model 3 had been on factory software. Update (2024.3.15) became available a week ago, but I was out of town with car parked at friend’s house (car not on WiFi)
  2. Returned home today (150-mile) drive, and on departure the car automatically downloaded the software update over cellular.
  3. Got home, connected to WiFi, plugged in, and clicked “update now” in car.
  4. Update got completely stuck on “starting update” and bricked the car. Scroll wheel reboot would not reboot screen, no progress on install for hours and hours and hours, and car couldn’t drive.
  5. Only solution was Tesla service ticket. They “removed the firmware update for the vehicle.”
  6. This allowed me to reboot! At this point, under software update the car says “up to date” showing the old firmware (2024.2.100). But under Service, it shows that 2024.3.15 is downloaded and scheduled to install.
  7. But that’s the same update I downloaded this morning and failed twice to install. I don’t trust it won’t do the same thing.
  8. If I could DELETE that download, then the car could fetch another over WiFi. But Tesla is advising me to just “let the firmware update overnight” but I’m betting that will just fail the same way it did before.
Any way to remove the already downloaded firmware, so I can get a fresh one?

1. I can confirm that rcho8's solution to my specific question is exactly correct. When I went into service mode and selected reinstall software, it redownloaded the car's current software (in this case, 2024.2.100). Doing that removed the downloaded update (in this case, 2024.3.15). Thanks!
  2. The reinstall went smoothly, and then the car detected the 2024.3.15 update and I downloaded that fresh, on wifi.
  3. The new download of the update also went quickly and smoothly. I'm now trying to install that update, and once again I seem to be stuck at "starting update" on the car screen and "10%" in the app. I'll give it a few hours, but right now it seems like my car cannot install this update.

When you were in Service Mode, did you see any error messages about the failed update? If there’s a hardware issue, have Tesla Service check it out. Until then, you can wait for a newer update and hope that one installs correctly. Updates are cumulative so it doesn’t matter if 2024.3.15 gets installed before whatever you get next.

When you were in Service Mode, did you see any error messages about the failed update? If there’s a hardware issue, have Tesla Service check it out. Until then, you can wait for a newer update and hope that one installs correctly. Updates are cumulative so it doesn’t matter if 2024.3.15 gets installed before whatever you get next.
The big concern for me is that if 2024.3.15 fails, I won't be able to get the car to reboot and get out of the install mode without intervention on Tesla's end. When it did this yesterday there was nothing I could do to get off the install screen.

I looked at all the error messages in the service mode, and none seemed to indicate a hardware fault. But I could only see 5 recent messages, and they were from the time that I was finally rebooting the car – no error messages about the stuck/failed install.

The big concern for me is that if 2024.3.15 fails, I won't be able to get the car to reboot and get out of the install mode without intervention on Tesla's end. When it did this yesterday there was nothing I could do to get off the install screen.

I looked at all the error messages in the service mode, and none seemed to indicate a hardware fault. But I could only see 5 recent messages, and they were from the time that I was finally rebooting the car – no error messages about the stuck/failed install.
So wait until the next update appears to install.

But it may be better if you open a Service Ticket and let Tesla investigate.

So wait until the next update appears to install.

But it may be better if you open a Service Ticket and let Tesla investigate.
I opened a ticket with Tesla yesterday, which is still open. They were able to do *something* on their end to get me out of the install so that I could at least reboot and get access to the car and its systems again.

But it was Tesla who told me to go ahead and re-install 2024.3.15.

Every thread I've found describing a problem like mine (stuck *installing*, not downloading) seems to end with people saying "tesla tickled something on their end" and it was fine. But I've had a number of exchanges with Tesla service and they don't seem to be able to wave a magic wand.

I'm going to give this current stuck install at least 3 hours to sit at "starting update." After that, I'll need Tesla's help just to make the car drivable again.

UPDATE: over 3 hours now and still stuck on "starting update."

Tesla service messaged early this morning to say their Lead technician was going to look at my car (remotely) this morning. It's clear they are going to have to send me something other than the standard 2024.3.15 update, as my car just won't install that.

UPDATE2

Lead tech was not able to do anything remotely, other than "remove the update" which allows me to reboot the car and get out of the stuck install. I now have to take the car into the tech center.

Not thrilled that my car won't install the update and that they can't fix it without me driving in. But very pleased that tesla service has been so responsive and is able to get me in so soon.

RESOLVED
First Tesla elevated this to a lead tech, and then to an engineer. Somehow (not sure how) engineer spotted an issue with my car's autopilot ECU. He then pushed firmware to the car, and that install finally went as planned (spent a long time on the ECU upgrade, but still finished in about 25 minutes).

Morals to the story:
1) If for some reason you need to remove a downloaded software update, "reinstall from service menu" is the answer.
2) If your car get stuck for multiple hours during the install phase, there IS a remote solution but it may require multiple levels of escalation to find the person who can sort it out and push the proper firmware.