Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are any of the tricks to force a software update real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then don’t buy one. Tesla is probably THE most connected and remotely managed car brand and there’s no way around that.

Staged rollouts are nothing new in the software world.
Is there a car company that sends out more frequent software updates than Tesla? Certainly not one of the legacy automakers! Most of them would require you to bring the car to a dealer.

I checked the update statistics for my cars. The median times between updates for my FSD car is about three weeks. The median time for my non-FSD car is under two weeks.

This also happens at the whim of Microsoft and every update able piece of software on my computer. It's the new way, OTA updates for your car.
In most of those cases you *can* force an update if you really want. Sometimes that means manually downloading it and installing. Tesla is actually a little unusual in that your only option is to wait until their auto updater decides its your turn. Microsoft, Apple, etc also don't limit you to checking for updates only once a day.

I tested the theory that visiting a service center and being on their wifi trigger an update (or puts you in the queue to be next up for an update, I've heard both). I parked at the service center and used their wifi for 30 minutes and nothing. Still on 2023.44.30.8.

In most of those cases you *can* force an update if you really want.
Possibly, but only if it's available. However, that's not the point of the OP of this subtopic. His point was that he hates it when Tesla pushes an update to him.
1000027000.jpg

Right, you can only force your car to update IF Tesla has already decided that your car was eligible for that update AND your car hasn't yet realized it's available. You only have (some) control over your car realizing that an update is available for it.
There was some sort of bug last year that affected my model Y where it would not download an update unless I did an MCU reboot to force a check. That went on for two or three versions before it cleared up.

I tested the theory that visiting a service center and being on their wifi trigger an update (or puts you in the queue to be next up for an update, I've heard both). I parked at the service center and used their wifi for 30 minutes and nothing. Still on 2023.44.30.8.
Do you have fsd? My Y without fsd has gotten two 2024 updates and my X with the FSD trial is still stuck on the 2023 holiday update. I want to try the UWB key out

Reactions: zoomer0056
Do you have fsd? My Y without fsd has gotten two 2024 updates and my X with the FSD trial is still stuck on the 2023 holiday update. I want to try the UWB key out
It would appear that, so long as you have FSD, you will not, at this time, move to 2024.x. Cars with FSD are being held at 2023.44.30.14 awaiting V12.

We may be here a while...

It would appear that, so long as you have FSD, you will not, at this time, move to 2024.x. Cars with FSD are being held at 2023.44.30.14 awaiting V12.

We may be here a while...
Hmm, my car has the FSD trial, but I never actually enabled the beta. Expires on February 25th, hopefully my car gets the upgrade by then. I care about UWB far more than any of the self driving crap

Hmm, my car has the FSD trial, but I never actually enabled the beta. Expires on February 25th, hopefully my car gets the upgrade by then. I care about UWB far more than any of the self driving crap
I doubt it matters whether you have enabled FSD or not. But, once your FSD trial expires, you will probably be pushed to the main software branch.

You would think they'd try to prioritize a recall update
Why since they have LOTS of time. After an official recall letter is sent to owners any car compony then has several months to complete a recall. Recalls usually require a scheduled service appointment and a trip to the dealer to have it done.

Also the recall is in 44.30.14 (I got yesterday) and is 100% the same as 44.30.8 except for the 3 "idiot" light's changed.

IMG_4448.jpeg

Last edited:
That is one strategy I did not try yet…

I wonder if now that the font size recall is going out with FSD12 I can get them both!

The way things went down with the holiday update, when like the 1st big batch of updates went out, I saw the new update notification in my car while charging and got really excited, but after downloading it and installing it I realized it was just the update before the holiday update with some boring generic bug fixes. I had assumed since I didn’t get that update I’d skip over it and go straight to the holiday update but nope.

2 weeks later I got the real holiday update. Not sure why but I was really far towards the end of that rollout and got that intermediate update first. I did get one bug fix update relatively soon after the holiday update but the last bug fix update I got was 2023.44.30.8 and I didn’t get any since then, and there were quite a few.

I wonder if it will be similar this time or if I’ll go right to 2023.44.30.20 with FSD12 and skip the 5 updates in between….

I wonder if it will be similar this time or if I’ll go right to 2023.44.30.20 with FSD12 and skip the 5 updates in between….
Here's what I've had recently for my '23 MYP in case it helps (always parked with solid wifi, 'advanced' updates on even if it doesn't help, and I force-check once/day when there's s/w I know is out there that I don't have)
  • 12/22/23 1819 2023.44.30.6 11.4.9
  • 12/31/23 0829 2023.44.30.7 11.4.9
  • 1/4/24 1600 2023.44.30.8 11.4.9
  • 1/14/24 FSD trial expired
  • 2/2/24 1600 2024.2.2.1
  • 2/14/24 1939 2024.2.6