Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are any of the tricks to force a software update real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Hopefully _ _ _30.4 (with FSD Beta v.11.4.9) will be a stable version...

Apparently not. I just got an alert on my phone that another new update is available--2023.44.30.6. Another bug fix, I assume. So in summary, in the last six days I've received three software update alerts (and downloaded 2).

Once the smoke clears (in January 2024) it will be interesting to see how many software versions will be left out there.

Another note is the difference between standard and advanced software update preference. Standard software has been run on many cars and is less likely to have bugs. Advanced download puts your car towards the beginning of the release and is more risky.
The standard/advance toggle is a placebo. It does nothing. It was put there to appease anxious owners. I've had mine on standard since day 1 and many times have gotten software updates before friends who have it set to advanced. Just now I'm downloading 2023.44.30.6 on launch day with my software slider on standard.

Reactions: KArnold
I got the 2023.44.30.6 update tonight, 3rd in a few days. 2023 MYP. Nice to have latest FSD beta, but my trial ends on Christmas.

I just got the …30.5.1 version yesterday

I speculate that the differences among some of the latest (bug fix) versions are mostly due to car-model variations (e.g., older vs. newer cars). Maybe some software versions are better for certain car features? But that is just a guess.

Probably a moot point, as it looks like software version 2023.44.30.10 (FSD Beta v12.1) will be installed soon (for all cars?). (Sooner than I expected.)

First off, @tps5352 - Thanks for linking some amazing threads with a ton of good information - especially the summaries which were very helpful. This reply is going to be long, but I've been closely monitoring my updates (and taking notes) since purchasing my first Tesla 9/29/2023 and have made sense of a lot of things (and even more after reading some of those threads). I also have significant personal experience running similar hardware/software platforms so you'll see some additional thoughts added from my experience. If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look for a bolded section of interest.

Observations, Speculation and Commentary:
  1. The 'break-in' period seems real. It took me exactly two months (on the 'standard' software update setting) to get my first software update. (2023.32.100/11.4.4 to 2023.38.9/11.4.4). And I when I say exactly, note that I say 'months' and not 'days' and that time also appears to matter. I took delivery official delivery of my vehicle on 9/29/23 at 1804 (signed off after inspection, vehicle then showed up in my app). My first software update was available 11/29/23 at 1928.
  2. Those 'break-in' period builds ('new car builds'?) appear to be numbered .100 (and .200, .300, etc.) and combined with these build process details from NotATeslaApp as well as using his software update history (specifically, the first available date on each), make a lot of sense. When I took delivery, the .32 build family was the latest available. Those .100+ builds are likely just equivalent to another stable .32 build (2023.32.6 for instance) but tagged (copied) to a very high build number so as to prevent updates. As newer stable builds are found in one of those build families, a new 'new car build' is tagged and made available for new vehicles (.200, .300, etc.) likely also dependent on model/region. Once you reach the end of your break-in period, you join the regular software update cycle (the non .100, etc. builds) and then all of the other things that matter take hold (region, model, hardware platform, etc.) as has already been described.
  3. "The standard/advance toggle is a placebo" - I don't believe this is true.. at least, not always true. It's common to want (need) customers willing to be first (on 'advanced'). That doesn't mean they are always first. I have similar customers for a platform I run (which has a similar build/release process as Tesla) and when things are running on our normal cadence, the 'advanced' customers get what everyone else gets at the same time. But when I have a deadline, (a holiday update has to come in time for the holidays, right?), I sometimes have to put software out the door before it's fully tested...or maybe I've fully tested it but I need more people to help test in situations that I'm not able to test in... and that's when I tap into these customers willing to be first. They get it first, we check for crashes/problems/etc., if issues are found, we fix them quickly (as quickly as an hour), give them a new build, rinse and repeat. Only after we see stability do we then gate it to the rest of the customer population (on 'standard'). I've received 3 builds in the last 11 days on 'Advanced' - the latest one (2023.44.30.7) literally as I type this reply. It's also interesting that different builds to the same models with the same hardware platform in the same region are in-flight at the same time and this toggle could also have something to do with that. Also of note, this is how things work for iOS and Android these days as well. When new mobile software builds for phones are ready to 'publish', almost all developers use the App Store Connect and Google Play Store functionality for developers to slow-roll the new build so they have time to check firebase crashlytics (or similar) for problems only doing a full rollout when a time period has expired or when manually overridden when things are looking good.
  4. The 24hr software update period doesn't mean much. I agree. Multiple times now, I have been within the window (after manually checking) and have had an update become available that wasn't when I checked less than 24 hours prior. Read below for how close proximity to the vehicle may also be involved.
  5. On versions 'disappearing' - When an issue is found, and depending on the criticality of the issue, a software rollout can be stopped even though I would say this is fairly uncommon for a modern product development team (because quality checks and automated testing largely prevent this). There are threads with some pretty severe issues this time around with the holiday update and I'm willing to bet Tesla had to stop rollouts as a result - quite possibly, multiple times.
  6. Does rebooting help get an update faster? On one occasion, it might have for me (2023.44.1/11.4.4) - No notifications, no nothing. I had not checked within a 24hr update window. Did a double steering wheel button hold (no brake pedal), rebooted, went to the software update screen, had an update. What isn't clear is whether checking the software update first would have yielded the same result. I have this case open for future testing.
  7. Does Tesla rollout by VIN? One comment said that two Teslas purchased ~month apart always update in the same order. This makes tons of sense. Most modern device management systems (whether home grown or developed off of many of the base platforms available) do things based on batches of serial numbers. Tesla uses the VINs for everything and any amount of batching of vehicles, at least within a model/region/hardware platform, and almost certainly excepting those in the 'break-in period', is likely done by batches of VINs. This might materialize in a console where someone at Tesla chooses a % of a fleet to roll a version to...but the system still has to decide which ones get it next and I doubt based on my update history that this is random.
Proximity to your vehicle matters for updates? Finally, I do have one new item to contribute. I believe in addition to other things mentioned (car having woken up, being on wifi, and having a build available), I also now believe a vehicle owner's phone running the Tesla App must be close to their vehicle for the update to be made available. I define close as within ~10ft, with the App running (in the background is fine - and on iOS at least, even without 'Always' location access). I doubt this matters for most people because they just drive their Teslas and are often close to them..but if no driver is near your tesla and you are trying to get the latest update, it might matter. I'm betting this is an attempt to prevent a software update from being authorized by someone who is not close to the vehicle (which might prevent the next driver of the vehicle from being able to drive it until the software update was completed).

Way more detail in case anyone's curious:

I've been testing trying to get 2023.44.30.7 (I've been on .6 since 12/22/23). My 24hr update time was 11:13pm and I checked it last night before going to bed - no update available. I woke up this morning and was just lying in bed reading TMC posts, opened up the app, no software updates popped up. While in bed, and generally moving around upstairs in my home, my phone is close enough to the vehicle to maintain the phone key connection but bluetooth RSSI is weak (~ -87 to -92dB). I walked downstairs, and when I reached the bottom of the stairs, which is very close to the vehicle (on the other side of the wall in the garage - ~ -72dB RSSI), I received a push notification that a software update was available. Opened the app, there was the update, started the install. Future testing will tell for sure.

FWIW, these RSSI numbers are not arbitrary. I actually tested and measured RSSI at different physical spots in relation to the vehicle based on the bluetooth device (the 'key' under bluetooth) and its connection (I did not go deeper to identify the UUID of which bluetooth device was transmitting since there are multiple on each vehicle). The iOS app uses the Core Location framework for bluetooth ranging and region monitoring and the FCC limits BLE transmission from the vehicle to no more frequently than every 100ms... and given what iOS permits in their public APIs, that means with the app in the background (in your pocket) without 'always' location access, it does take many seconds to understand the RSSI of a known bluetooth device. This is the reason that if you haven't granted 'always' location access, and your phone has been in your pocket, and you walk up to your vehicle, it sometimes won't open for you immediately. It's also the reason that a few Tesla app updates ago, they added the 'Improve Phone Key' option on iOS with directions to enable 'always' for location permissions as with this permission, the App is granted permission for region monitoring even when the app is in the background (in your pocket).

For kicks, I also went and started surfing some of Tesla's FCC filings. For all of the hardware they build that uses bluetooth, UWB and NFC, they need type certification - governed by the FCC in the US. You can lookup the devices at fcc.gov here. Tesla's Grantee Code is 2AEIM. The first result happens to be a B pillar Bluetooth / UWB endpoint. They've invoked the confidentiality clause on the internal photos which will keep them suppressed for 6 months but you can read the docs and test results. I plan on some digging when I have some time...

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
@sdbonez

Very interesting post, but one thing I will correct you on is your very first point:

The 'break-in' period seems real. It took me exactly two months (on the 'standard' software update setting) to get my first software update. (2023.32.100/11.4.4 to 2023.38.9/11.4.4). And I when I say exactly, note that I say 'months' and not 'days' and that time also appears to matter. I took delivery official delivery of my vehicle on 9/29/23 at 1804 (signed off after inspection, vehicle then showed up in my app). My first software update was available 11/29/23 at 1928.

Its been documented repeatedly that some people receive updates within hours of bringing their car home and connecting to wifi, while others wait. So, its not guaranteed that someone will wait some specific amount of time.

I have always thought it just depends on when the VIN is entered into the system after delivery and marked / flagged as being available for updates, and where the next update is on the release cycle.

This would account for peoples variability in this, because one would never know where they were on the release cycle of updates when their specific car was delivered.

In any case, I found your post an informative read, thanks for sharing.

...I also now believe a vehicle owner's phone running the Tesla App must be close to their vehicle for the update to be made available...

I've been testing trying to get 2023.44.30.7...

1. Interesting hypothesis--i.e., that phone with Tesla App must be close. I have some doubts about that (e.g., it may be just coincidental), but I could be wrong.

2. Check the Teslascope and TeslaFi customer database sample info to see if 2023.44.30.7 is possibly applicable just to certain model-years. I currently have 2023.44.30.6 (with early 2021 "classic" Model X), got three announcements of updates available in December (ending in 2023.44.30.6), but not one since (for 2023.44.30.7). Perhaps 2023.44.30.7 is a bug fix just for certain model-years?

Its been documented repeatedly that some people receive updates within hours of bringing their car home and connecting to wifi, while others wait. So, its not guaranteed that someone will wait some specific amount of time.
Interesting. Looking back at my notes, I also went from 'Standard' to 'Advanced' on the same day I received the update. Probably a coincidence?
In any case, I found your post an informative read, thanks for sharing.
yeah, definitely. thanks.

1. Interesting hypothesis--i.e., that phone with Tesla App must be close. I have some doubts about that (e.g., it may be just coincidental), but I could be wrong.
I'll be testing this a lot more.

2. Check the Teslascope and TeslaFi customer database sample info to see if 2023.44.30.7 is possibly applicable just to certain model-years. I currently have 2023.44.30.6 (with early 2021 "classic" Model X), got three announcements of updates available in December (ending in 2023.44.30.6), but not one since (for 2023.44.30.7). Perhaps 2023.44.30.7 is a bug fix just for certain model-years?
Yeah, I had done this and saw that my 23 MYP was seeing some 30.7 updates. It appears to be more related to HW4 vehicles, at least presently.. but excludes the 3 (as it has done with many of the 44.30 updates).

I've also found Tesla-Info's heat map to be really useful. Here's the latest for 2023.44.30.7 I can't determine where he's pulling data from but must be either Teslascope or TeslaFi - but how he visualizes it useful. Basically, only 2022 and 2023 Model S, X and Ys right now... I have another theory that the X and S turn dark green faster because there are less of them vs the Y... and anyone managing large software updates like this has to batch them to prevent a 'thundering herd' type problem where they all attempt to update at once.

• Helpful
"The standard/advance toggle is a placebo" - I don't believe this is true.. at least, not always true. It's common to want (need) customers willing to be first (on 'advanced'). That doesn't mean they are always first.
I have two years experience with software selected on Advanced with FSD beta and six months on another car without FSD. The arrival of updates has no detectable pattern as compared to others. Sometimes I'm near the front of the line, sometimes at the back.

I think that Telsa had an intent to prioritizes updates, or to send 'beta' versions of new features out to those who select Advanced, but either the vast majority are selecting Advanced, or they have abandoned (or never implemented) this idea.

Seems close to my experience. I bought a new MYP in Aug 2023, and I think I had a .100 revision. I never could make sense of the three digit revisions, and it was more than 2 months before I got my first update, even through much newer ones had been available for at least weeks. Then in the week before Christmas I got three .44 updates, and now another one 2 days ago. And it seems the latest one caused a number of phone-related issues for me, with some things suddenly not working (hands-free calling) or info disappeared. I think I need to go delete/repair my phone now. I'm really waiting for FSD 12.x, at which point I'll pay Tesla for a month of FSD to check it out. (Suspect a lot of people will do the same leading to a spike in revenue for Tesla.)

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352 and sdbonez
Most of time, when it's you turn to get an update, the car is immediately notified. If, for some reason it isn't, then accessing the software page on the display will force a check if it's been more than 24 hours since the last check. If that doesn't happen (the check time is more than 24 hours ago, doing an MCU reboot should force the check.

Rebooting the MCU will not result in a check if it has been less than 24 hours since the last one.

Pushing the brake pedal when rebooting or connecting to special WiFi systems, or other things like charging your battery, parking so the valve stems point up, orienting the car so it points toward Fremont, etc. are urban legends and unlikely to impress Tesla's data center enough to move you to the top of the line.

Being patient helps the most.
<<Orienting the car so it points to Fremont>>

That’s a good one 🤣

Hard to imagine how some people would actually believe this (lmfao)

...I currently have 2023.44.30.6 (with early 2021 "classic" Model X), got three announcements of updates available in December (ending in 2023.44.30.6), but not one since (for 2023.44.30.7). Perhaps 2023.44.30.7 is a bug fix just for certain model-years?

Followup: I've had 2023.44.30.6 (w/FSD Beta v.11.4.9) in my 2021 Model X since December (w/no issues) and just the other day out of the blue received 2023.44.30.8 (bug fix; no change to FSD version). Bypassed 2023.44.30.7 entirely. (That still suggests, perhaps, that "7" was a bug-fix for other model-years, not mine.) Still waiting for FSD v.12, naturally.

Followup: I've had 2023.44.30.6 (w/FSD Beta v.11.4.9) in my 2021 Model X since December (w/no issues) and just the other day out of the blue received 2023.44.30.8 (bug fix; no change to FSD version). Bypassed 2023.44.30.7 entirely. (That still suggests, perhaps, that "7" was a bug-fix for other model-years, not mine.) Still waiting for FSD v.12, naturally.
I had a 23 MY that got .7, but my 21 M3 did not. They are both now on .8, which appears to be a consolidation version for all the updates. Neither of my cars had any issues with any of the updates that they received.

Hopefully, .8 is the final holiday update and we can sit back and wait for the, supposed, V12 release at the end of the month.

• Helpful
You absolutely can not force an update. An update goes to your car when Tesla decides. Besides that, you missed one. Go to software page, if it hasn't checked that day, it will look to see if your car has an update to download
And that is the part I hate about Tesla, "An update goes to your car when Tesla decides.". We pay too much money to have a company issue unilateral control over our vehicles.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
And that is the part I hate about Tesla, "An update goes to your car when Tesla decides.". We pay too much money to have a company issue unilateral control over our vehicles.
Then don’t buy one. Tesla is probably THE most connected and remotely managed car brand and there’s no way around that.

Staged rollouts are nothing new in the software world.

Reactions: Fiver