Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, how do FSD updates work now with FSD 12.3.6...I have 2024.3.25 and the latest spring update is 2024.14.6 (which has FSD 12.3.6) and I see 2024.3.25 cars getting the spring update.
My question is will FSD 12.4 be a newer version (2024.15.x)? Or will some of the 2024.3.25 cars not get the spring update and get 12.4 with a lesser update version (2024.9.x)?
No one knows for sure. I assume they will keep things segmented like they always have, even with v12.

Reactions: hobertg
Is there actually such a thing anymore? I mean "us testers". There's FSDS users, and non-users. Of the users, some of them post about it here. There are the influencers, who Tesla may deign to release to first, but isn't it basically just their testers and the public now? I don't know, I'm just asking. I can't think of any other demarcations of the ecosystem.
Well, there's at least still the update preference, advanced/standard, as far as I know. So that's one input to whether people want to test the latest and greatest or just want it when it's stable

Reactions: lzolman
No, it's definitely a Google map data problem. Prior to about a year ago all the driveways in my area were visible on Google maps and in the Tesla navigation map (since it uses Google data). They disappeared in both places at the same time and also around that time everyone that uses an Android phone for navigation started going to the wrong place when coming to my house for the first time. The carat on the map is always in the right location on the map in the car. Also, I still had my old P85 when the problem started; it did not start when I upgraded to the new car.
OK, for your info. I checked my phone (Pixel 7Pro). The Tesla App on the phone displays my car (red arrow) exactly where it is parked in the garage (Google map satellite view). The Google location blue dot exactly where my cable modem location is.
Prior to my GPS cable fix, the navigation arrow of the car sometimes (due to interference by the camera signal) at an offset on the map to the true location and the navigation directions are wrong.

There may be simple weighting factors that can be downloaded to the car via a hot fix patch
As discussed quite a bit last year, the system can and does download map hints at the start of navigation, and perhaps during a drive, especially upon any rerouting. This was discovered and explained by @greentheonly on X = @verygreen on TMC

Considering that facility exists and is used all the time, it leads to speculation that it could also be used for parameter changes, or flags that can cause parameter changes. Not necessarily a hot-fix patch in the traditional sense of a software release.

However it's being done now or in the future, it makes a great deal of sense and makes the system more powerful, as well as allowing Tesla to experiment and compare performance. Elon recently mentioned the example of Teslas communicating road closure in near real time, to avoid the syndrome of multiple Teslas making the same mistake. They've also mentioned the use of the adaptive suspension cars, that can record vibration and bumps, as a way to register potholes and problematic road sections.

I'm sure that a lot of this is still aspirational, but we're moving away from the situation a couple of years ago, when we could confidently say that the car has no way to learn and improve on your frequent routes from drive to drive. It's still true that the neural network itself is not programmed to train and customize your individual inference model, but some very similar localized "learning" can be accomplished by expanding the nav-hints facility and having it update frequently.

OK, for your info. I checked my phone (Pixel 7Pro). The Tesla App on the phone displays my car (red arrow) exactly where it is parked in the garage (Google map satellite view). The Google location blue dot exactly where my cable modem location is.
Prior to my GPS cable fix, the navigation arrow of the car sometimes (due to interference by the camera signal) at an offset on the map to the true location and the navigation directions are wrong.
I did the same and it is spot on accurate.Blue dot is my bedroom. Red arrow is my garage where my M3LR is parked.

IMG_0085.jpeg

and here is my second M3LR parked on the left side of the garage. Pretty damn accurate.
IMG_0086.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
I had many situations on a recent long trip where I found the navigation instructions confusing but the car knew exactly where to go and which lane to get into to get back on the interstate.

I am looking around but not everywhere all at once. In any given instant the car sees far more than I do.

I find it easy to rest my foot on the pedal without applying force and to rest my hands on the yoke lifting only briefly when the car turns.

I think your point is probably lost on me. Some people find FSDS more annoying than driving themselves. I find it quite restful and am very comfortable supervising as I can focus far more attention on what is going on around me.
My point when I posed the question "why use FSD if you need to monitor it anyway" is that there is more value in FSD than just its utility. It has entertainment value as well, which is a big part of why I use it, and why I was against eliminating left turns several pages ago. That's not to say I find it useless. I agree it can make driving in unfamiliar areas easier, which also happens to be when it's the most entertaining to use. I also appreciate the frequent updates which keeps it fresh.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The cognoscenti around here. One cognoscenti suggested the camera recal; and the OP Actually Reported Back and said that the recal had cured, well, not all of his list, but most of it. Would be interesting to see if it causes some noticeable change for you.
Thanks Tron for the compliments to some of the OG posters and beautiful use of the English language. It's been years since I have seen someone use "cognoscenti"
in a sentence.

Thanks Tron for the compliments to some of the OG posters and beautiful use of the English language. It's been years since I have seen someone use "cognoscenti"
in a sentence.
Except, and I really hesitate to say this, it's one cognoscente, two cognoscenti. Otherwise, yes it's beautiful use - of the Latin language. :)

I'm not picking on you #1, just holding you "accountable"...

Except, and I really hesitate to say this, it's one cognoscente, two cognoscenti. Otherwise, yes it's beautiful use - of the Italian language. :)

I'm not picking on you #1, just holding you "accountable"...
Wait, are you a mobster from Chicago? Or an Elitist, green earth 🌎, Tesla driving, artificial grass, desert landscape, and gorgeous mountainous views guy from Arizona?
Or is that question too taxing for you to answer 🤔 ??

Edit: Leave @Tronguy alone. He's with me, and we're packing heat ....

Wait, are you a mobster from Chicago? Or an Elitist, green earth 🌎, Tesla driving, artificial grass, desert landscape, and gorgeous mountainous views guy from Arizona?
Or is that question too taxing for you to answer 🤔 ??
I read it again and realized my slurred voice typing turned Latin into Italian, now fixed, but maybe it's both. I don't really speak Italian; I actually have trouble with the menu in fancy restaurants.

And I don't speak Latin but I think we all owe something to the thoughtful Romans. (However, unlike the Italians, they don't show up at your pizzeria in Chicago and explain to you you what you owe them this week, to keep the windows from breaking. That's what I hear anyway.)

Really I was just trying to help you, but you keep calling me all kinds of names. How much do I have to pay your syndicate to stop doing that? And if I do, can you just enter it into the ledger as deductible Legal Expenses?
Thanks #1 - I mean Don Capo dei Contatori di Fagioli