Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you keep your foot over the pedal when you use cruise control? I don't, unless I think I'm going to need to brake.

When using FSDs, I usually have my hands on my knees, either right next to the wheel or touching but not gripping the wheel. My foot is on the floor next to the pedals and I'm watching the traffic and surroundings so I know what the car is doing and what I need to do if I should need to take over. With 12.3.6 the overwhelming majority of my interventions are to goose the accelerator so I can get it up to speed. beyond that, I sit back, let the car drive and enjoy the ride. It's actually become quite relaxing. Sure, taking a nap would be more relaxing but we're not there yet so I appreciate what we've got.
I keep my arms and foot relaxed unless I'm approaching a situation I've deemed risky, as you described. Though I acknowledge that it's not exactly proper and my chances of reacting to an emergency that I did not anticipate are diminished.

Reactions: APotatoGod
My first question is do we think 2024.24.6 will go out to us testers?
Is there actually such a thing anymore? I mean "us testers". There's FSDS users, and non-users. Of the users, some of them post about it here. There are the influencers, who Tesla may deign to release to first, but isn't it basically just their testers and the public now? I don't know, I'm just asking. I can't think of any other demarcations of the ecosystem.

Not saying this is happening to you, but when my wife started using autopilot she would unintentionally disengage via torque all the time.

I finally realized that she was trying to influence the car's path. That is, if she felt the car was too far left, she would turn the wheel a little bit to the right, and it would disengage.
No, I don't have any unintentional disengagements anymore. When I was first using it, all my unintentional disengagements were from trying to clear the nags by applying torque on the wheel. I solved that by only using the "unused" buttons on steering wheel (sideways clicks on the right scroll wheel and the cruise control button) to clear them.

Prior to figuring that out, I noticed that the required amount of torque on the steering wheel to clear the nag is variable depending on a couple things. As far as I can tell, if I got the nag from the camera thinking I was looking down at a screen too much it requires more torque to clear it. Also, it seems like if I was on a long straight with a constant light torque on the wheel, I needed to apply torque the opposite direction to clear the nag without disengaging. It seems like the change in torque needed to clear the nag is measured relative to the constant torque I had been applying to the wheel but the torque threshold to disengage FSD continued to be an absolute torque value.

literally only want one thing and its effing disgusting...

We had this mug, probably still do but I haven't seen it for a while. Whenever I want to remind my wife how lucky she is, I remind her that I'm good for more than just parallel parking.

1715737785794.png

Some of your GPS position problem might be due to GPS antenna problem. I just got my Model S GPS coaxial cable replaced. It's in the front camera housing. Check with Service.
No, it's definitely a Google map data problem. Prior to about a year ago all the driveways in my area were visible on Google maps and in the Tesla navigation map (since it uses Google data). They disappeared in both places at the same time and also around that time everyone that uses an Android phone for navigation started going to the wrong place when coming to my house for the first time. The carat on the map is always in the right location on the map in the car. Also, I still had my old P85 when the problem started; it did not start when I upgraded to the new car.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and KLam
No, I don't have any unintentional disengagements anymore. When I was first using it, all my unintentional disengagements were from trying to clear the nags by applying torque on the wheel. I solved that by only using the "unused" buttons on steering wheel (sideways clicks on the right scroll wheel and the cruise control button) to clear them.

Prior to figuring that out, I noticed that the required amount of torque on the steering wheel to clear the nag is variable depending on a couple things. As far as I can tell, if I got the nag from the camera thinking I was looking down at a screen too much it requires more torque to clear it. Also, it seems like if I was on a long straight with a constant light torque on the wheel, I needed to apply torque the opposite direction to clear the nag without disengaging. It seems like the change in torque needed to clear the nag is measured relative to the constant torque I had been applying to the wheel but the torque threshold to disengage FSD continued to be an absolute torque value.
Haven't seen this mentioned but are the nags not more frequent and harder to clear when you first start using FSD?

Haven't seen this mentioned but are the nags not more frequent and harder to clear when you first start using FSD?
I didn't notice any correlation like that. What I have noticed is that the nags are much more frequent around sunrise, sunset, and on very overcast days. I get almost no nags driving on a sunny day or at night. I'm guessing it might be caused by glare on my glasses preventing the interior camera from tracking where I'm looking.

Seems hard to believe that even with heavy traffic it's slower than 3 right turns, but I'm willing to believe UPS's research.
You better believe it. I have been part of some similar research back in the past as a Time & Motion study engineer, and also as noticed in my own daily driving experience. The underlying motto being "Keep moving" is always better, which is also why automobile assembly lines are always in motion. They never stop at any station.

I didn't notice any correlation like that. What I have noticed is that the nags are much more frequent around sunrise, sunset, and on very overcast days. I get almost no nags driving on a sunny day or at night. I'm guessing it might be caused by glare on my glasses preventing the interior camera from tracking where I'm looking.
Interesting. Btw I meant when FSD is new to your account, not when you first engage it for the trip. Might've been ambiguous.

Reactions: enemji
The correct way to clear the nag is to
- Use one of the little knobs on the steering wheel
- Pull the wheel slightly in one direction and hold it till the nag goes away

People who "wiggle" the wheel instead, have problem making the nag go away.

If you're supervising then presumably you are watching the surroundings as well. Same with navigation. You need to pay attention to how the car is following navigation. Because if it is making a mistake, you need to anticipate and observe how it might try to correct itself. E.g. if it picks a wrong lane, will it try to get back into the previous lane and what is the traffic around you at that moment.

Mind you that you still need to keep your hands on the wheel and foot over the pedal in a manner that is actually more unconformable than if you were driving yourself. You may choose not to, but it is technically misuse of the system.
I had many situations on a recent long trip where I found the navigation instructions confusing but the car knew exactly where to go and which lane to get into to get back on the interstate.

I am looking around but not everywhere all at once. In any given instant the car sees far more than I do.

I find it easy to rest my foot on the pedal without applying force and to rest my hands on the yoke lifting only briefly when the car turns.

I think your point is probably lost on me. Some people find FSDS more annoying than driving themselves. I find it quite restful and am very comfortable supervising as I can focus far more attention on what is going on around me.

Last edited:
Ok, how do FSD updates work now with FSD 12.3.6...I have 2024.3.25 and the latest spring update is 2024.14.6 (which has FSD 12.3.6) and I see 2024.3.25 cars getting the spring update.
My question is will FSD 12.4 be a newer version (2024.15.x)? Or will some of the 2024.3.25 cars not get the spring update and get 12.4 with a lesser update version (2024.9.x)?

Before I knew about the scrollwheel method, I was using the torque method. And I found it required less torque to clear the nags after logging several miles with FSD, and the nags became MUCH less frequent as well.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm trying to figure out if any setting changes can fix this mistake FSD beta keeps running into?

Running 12.4.6 - Real life example just today: Navigating to highway entrance from regular street roads. Two left turn lanes but the one on the right is the correct one to choose as the highway entrance is on the right lane after the turn. Instead, the Tesla purposely goes into the turn lane on the left, completes the turn and then tries to force itself into a lane change to get on the lane to turn into the highway. Why does it do this when it clearly knows that staying in the turn lane on the right is clearly the only realistic option to do?

Is anyone else running into this? I feel like I'm doing something wrong if this is happening. FWIW I live in Savannah, GA. Is it maybe because there's not enough Tesla drivers here for them to correct these mistakes? TYI!

I haven’t had to apply slight torque to the yoke since FSDS - those nags just went away. Before FSD I was often nagged to apply some pressure on long straight stretches even though my hands were on the yoke.