Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Surf (Karma wagon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fisker Surf concept is plug-in family-minded luxury

Fisker Surf: Frankfurt 2011

07fisker-surfiaa11.jpg

10fisker-surfiaa11.jpg

Yeah, I noticed the button for it here: Fisker Surf Shooting Brake

Does it have the solar roof option which comes standard on the Karma?

I'm confused by what the Autoblog (and a later press release) stated:

Whereas the exterior rear roof-mounted solar panel on the Karma is a 120-watt gathering unit, the available panel for the Surf is a 133-watt unit. The sturdy black plastic grille insert is a new look, as are the very sharp new 22-inch standard wheels. Fisker is currently working with an outside supplier to create an easy roof rack system to slide into the standard aluminum roof rails.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/13/fisker-surf-shooting-brake-wows-frankfurt-show/

Does that mean if it's in the rear portion of the roof of the Surf you can have both a sunroof and the solar roof? or is that a complete error (since there is no "rear" to the solar roof, it's completely covers the roof ) and you have to choose one or the other as an option.

After looking at some pictures, it seems that you might be able to have both. if you look at the photos of the top of the Surf for the back looking forward. there is clearly black glass like structure right near the rear hatch. but if you look at the photos of the open hatch (interior), look at the top, there is no light coming from the top and the top is lined with fabric.

Last edited:
Does that mean if it's in the rear portion of the roof of the Surf you can have both a sunroof and the solar roof?
That's what it sounds like to me. "Rear roof-mounted solar panel" would only makes sense for the Surf. So Autoblog probably screwed up with the standard blogger miscommunication. I actually read through several blogs and got a lot of conflicting information. The best I could find was this which appears to be directly from a Fisker press release: http://car-gallery.info/blog/car-press-release/fisker-surf-at-2011-frankfurt-iaa/
The unique solar roof panel that is a Fisker signature has been integrated into the Fisker Surf, with a few twists. The optional solar panel not only captures sunlight to power the car, it is actually see-through, with a dark-tint translucence that adds to the sense of openness inside the car, specifically in the rear seats. Standard is a tinted-glass panoramic roof panel that tilts open at the back for added ventilation.

So seems it's not really slide back and open like a sunroof. Just tilts open as a vent.

fisker-surf-live-42.jpg

06fisker-surfiaa11.jpg