Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less positive X-care experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen x-care frequently on this forum, so I figured I'd share my experience as well.

I've had mixed experience with them. A few months ago they covered a seat actuator issue, but more recently they refused to cover some wiring issues, even though I can't see an exclusion for that and in previous posts they've mentioned it as something they cover (I've also asked them for clarification but haven't gotten any response).

My car had been giving issues with rapid 12V battery depletion, so I took it in for an investigation. Tesla found two issues:
  • Door wiring issues creating door pinch sensor alerts. They suspect this could be causing the 12V battery depletion by preventing the car from going into standby
  • Ran low voltage 12V battery integrity check. They did NOT charge me for the 12V battery itself but for diagnostics labor (since I had paid for the 12V to be replaced recently and hence the battery itself was in parts warranty).
X-care refused to cover any of the expenses because according to them the 12V "battery is not a eligible component and wire repair is not covered".

I pointed out this was weird because:
  • "Wiring" or electrical harnesses are not called out as an exclusion anywhere that I can tell in my contract.
    • In fact on a previous post on this forum, they called out "We actually do cover wiring and suspension (with the exception of the shock absorber component), these were not listed in the exclusions"
  • While 12V battery is called out as an exclusion on the sample contract on their website, it doesn't seem to be called out in my contract (below).

The exclusions from my contract (which is different from their sample contract where 12V battery is called out, but here only the main EV battery is called out as an exclusion):
For maintenance services and parts described in Your Vehicle’s Owner’s Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts which include, but are not limited to: alignments, coolants, EV battery/battery pack/drivetrain, battery cable, fuses, interior LED lighting, hoses, clamps, belts, shock absorbers, mobile connector, wall connector, any future connectors, and any related charging adapters, tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts, tire pressure sensors, valve stems, light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, safety restraint systems (including air bags), brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, speakers, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weather strip/body seals, door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, conversion van appliances, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, any repairs to correct rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water ingestion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, odors, manual clutch system (friction clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out, and pilot bearing). Any options/ equipment not originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.

I'm including my x-care contract and the technician notes from Tesla in case anyone else wants to take a look or feels like they need proof.

What's weird is I reached out to X-care last week for clarification but never got a response :(

TLDR: Mixed x-care review - be careful of their exclusions which seem very not clear, and somewhat arbitrary to me.

Attachments

• tesla_invoiced6af8dfd-f406-4d3b-9af0-f9a669e686e1_Redacted.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 101
  • XCare Contract (1)_Redacted.pdf
    674.1 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: FireFighterHil
Hoping this gets escalated and resolved for you. I had a similar issue with my motorized spoiler claim being declined. The way XC explained it to me was that the warranty admin is a third party and they make mistakes. Please keep us updated!

Edit: just saw your attachment. I don’t think you should expect XC to cover the 12v battery, but they should define cover the wiring. But, after deductible i don’t think that’s going to be much. Doesn’t Tesla have a part’s warranty? Seems odd they would charge you for a new 12v that you had replaced 3 months ago!

Reactions: EbS-P
I've seen x-care frequently on this forum, so I figured I'd share my experience as well.

I've had mixed experience with them. A few months ago they covered a seat actuator issue, but more recently they refused to cover some wiring issues, even though I can't see an exclusion for that and in previous posts they've mentioned it as something they cover (I've also asked them for clarification but haven't gotten any response).

My car had been giving issues with rapid 12V battery depletion, so I took it in for an investigation. Tesla found two issues:
  • Door wiring issues creating door pinch sensor alerts. They suspect this could be causing the 12V battery depletion by preventing the car from going into standby
  • Ran low voltage 12V battery integrity check. They did NOT charge me for the 12V battery itself but for diagnostics labor (since I had paid for the 12V to be replaced recently and hence the battery itself was in parts warranty).
X-care refused to cover any of the expenses because according to them the 12V "battery is not a eligible component and wire repair is not covered".

• "Wiring" or electrical harnesses are not called out as an exclusion anywhere that I can tell in my contract.
    • In fact on a previous post on this forum, they called out "We actually do cover wiring and suspension (with the exception of the shock absorber component), these were not listed in the exclusions"
  • While 12V battery is called out as an exclusion on the sample contract on their website, it doesn't seem to be called out in my contract (below).

The exclusions from my contract (which is different from their sample contract where 12V battery is called out, but here only the main EV battery is called out as an exclusion):

I'm including my x-care contract and the technician notes from Tesla in case anyone else wants to take a look or feels like they need proof.

What's weird is I reached out to X-care last week for clarification but never got a response :(

TLDR: Mixed x-care review - be careful of their exclusions which seem very not clear, and somewhat arbitrary to me.
Hi @dasarp ,

We are sorry to hear that you had a less than positive experience. We try very hard to maintain transparency in our coverage, and vocally state (as well as on this forum, on our website, our FAQs, etc) that the 12v is not part of the coverage. However, definitely want to understand where you may be seeing differences as that is concerning... I see no record of anyone reaching out to us regarding this issue, so hopefully you were trying to ping the correct team.

The attachments are coming out a little weird from my end, and with all the info being redacted, i have no way of diving deeper. If you could please reach out to us at [email protected], with un-redacted info, I want to make sure we have an opportunity to hear you and look into your specific claim.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Depending on what app you use to look at the redacted invoice, either just the first page shows up or all the pages show up. When I first looked, only the first page showed up and all you really see is a 12V battery replacement. Only when you can see the additional 2-3 pages do you get a clear idea of what they actually found (and why the repair should be covered).

Update here - connected with XCare m in response to their reply above. They had their leadership team review the invoice from Tesla and offered to cover both that the wiring issue and also the labor for battery diagnostics with a note “the service advisor at Tesla wrote up the service items incorrectly.” causing confusion on their end.
Unfortunate it too an escalation but super glad to have it resolved, and good on XCare for following up after this thread!

Glad you got that sorted out. I hate it when it takes an online call-out for something to get resolved. It’s also annoying when a business replies with something like, “We don’t see any records of you reaching out to us.”

Reactions: buckets0fun

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just joined this forum, so I'm just seeing your post. I was considering getting X-care for my 2019 MS. Do you still have x-care or did you go to another company for a warranty?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just joined this forum, so I'm just seeing your post. I was considering getting X-care for my 2019 MS. Do you still have x-care or did you go to another company for a warranty?
Still have xcare (I had bought it for 5 years). At this point I’ve used them three times. Overall not as easy to use as I’d like (including the example above), but on balance I’m happy I had them (would prefer I’m having it to not having it). Unfortunately, I don’t know if any other 3P warranty services for Tesla to be able to compare & contrast.

Still have xcare (I had bought it for 5 years). At this point I’ve used them three times. Overall not as easy to use as I’d like (including the example above), but on balance I’m happy I had them (would prefer I’m having it to not having it). Unfortunately, I don’t know if any other 3P warranty services for Tesla to be able to compare & contrast.
We are sorry to hear your experiences with XCare haven't been easy. Thank you for your continued support. We are always looking for ways to improve and would love to hear from you. Please let us know more so we can ensure a better experience for you and all our valued members.
Customer Success Manager- [email protected]

We are sorry to hear your experiences with XCare haven't been easy. Thank you for your continued support. We are always looking for ways to improve and would love to hear from you. Please let us know more so we can ensure a better experience for you and all our valued members.
Customer Success Manager- [email protected]
I have my car in service now and it's been nothing but a challenge to get Tesla to clearly document the 'cause of failure' for the parts on the car that need to get replaced. XCare will NOT approve the claim until Tesla provides this detail. Tesla just refuses to put anything more than the technicians notes and my claim is being held hostage from getting the XCare Endurance Warranty Service to approve my claim. I just e-mailed you, Libby. Would appreciate a call.

I have my car in service now and it's been nothing but a challenge to get Tesla to clearly document the 'cause of failure' for the parts on the car that need to get replaced. XCare will NOT approve the claim until Tesla provides this detail. Tesla just refuses to put anything more than the technicians notes and my claim is being held hostage from getting the XCare Endurance Warranty Service to approve my claim. I just e-mailed you, Libby. Would appreciate a call.
I got you @MilSpec dont worry! I understand how Tesla service can be very difficult especially when it comes to communication. We are getting your claim pushed through as we speak! Thank you for your continued patience with us/ Tesla.
-Libby
XCare Customer Success

Kinda a bummer to hear about this new requirement from XC. Very interested to hear how it all plays out. Having to reach out to XC to get a claim pushed through every time doesn’t seem ideal. We have XC on our 3, and I’ll add it to the Y as the factory warranty comes up. Will be keeping an eye on this

Kinda a bummer to hear about this new requirement from XC. Very interested to hear how it all plays out. Having to reach out to XC to get a claim pushed through every time doesn’t seem ideal. We have XC on our 3, and I’ll add it to the Y as the factory warranty comes up. Will be keeping an eye on this

Fortunately the vast majority of claims go smoothly and there is little reason for customers to reach out. We have been making some great changes to our claims team to smooth out the process, so being in the middle actually helps us AND the customer (win/win).
We also have a more digital solution (which is going to be VERY cool....more details coming soon!) that will virtually eliminate a lot of back and forth.
Onward and upward!

Reactions: byeLT4 and ngng