Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First European Cold Weather Range Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He seems to suggest that the "cold weather package" coming to Norway would actually increase the range compared to the US-spec car he was driving. (towards the end of the video). I wasn't aware that there was anything in the package that would do that (is there?). Maybe having both front and rear seat heaters means you can dial the cabin heat back a bit, but beyond that, is there anything else that could help?

mknox, I think you are absolutely correct.
There's been a lot of fuzz back and forth regarding the "Winter package", actually around the time this test was done. That is misinformation from Tesla's side mainly, as I see it. Websites have been updated frequently. As per now you can read on the "Other EU" region: http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/models/options

Cold Weather Package Improve cold-weather comfort and convenience by adding:

• 3-zone rear-seat heaters
  • Washer nozzle heaters

• Wiper blade defroster

A battery heater is included as standard equipment in all cars.

€ 1.275
So we (myself included) are paying EUR 1.275 for preheating the washer fluid, wiper blades and being able to warm our kids butts.
Having three kids, and living in a cold country, I included it. So the theoretically extended range you would possibly get is the energy you'd save by not having to use the regualar cabin heat as you say.
This is also confirmed by Tesla representatives in Norway that this is more or less a "Comfort" package.
So adding more range with the winterpackage as the roporter says, is BS (IMO), unfortunatly based on (mis)information from Tesla in the first place.
I certainly hope the ventilation problem on the front side window will be solved, both with and WITHOUT the winterpackage. Otherwise it will be looked as a scam (i.e. not usable during winterconditions).
Anyway a great test though.

What do you think is cold?

What do you consider "cold"?

Answer: When you feel "cold". In Nicaragua, going from 100 F to 80 F makes me feel cold. If I am 15 years old and live in Minnesota, I can walk around in shorts and a T shirt at 20 F and be very comfortable. In San Francisco, 65 F can be cold. My opinion is anything less than 55 F. My Chevy Volt thinks anything less than 26 F is cold (starts the gas generator to heat the battery pack). If I wear a down jacket, long johns, wool cap and smart wool socks, 35 F is cold.

What do you think is cold?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I don't qualify as anyone then.

All it takes is practice and living in the Midwest with very flat roads. :)

mknox, I think you are absolutely correct.
There's been a lot of fuzz back and forth regarding the "Winter package", actually around the time this test was done. That is misinformation from Tesla's side mainly, as I see it. Websites have been updated frequently. As per now you can read on the "Other EU" region: http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/models/options

So we (myself included) are paying EUR 1.275 for preheating the washer fluid, wiper blades and being able to warm our kids butts.
Having three kids, and living in a cold country, I included it. So the theoretically extended range you would possibly get is the energy you'd save by not having to use the regualar cabin heat as you say.
This is also confirmed by Tesla representatives in Norway that this is more or less a "Comfort" package.
So adding more range with the winterpackage as the roporter says, is BS (IMO), unfortunatly based on (mis)information from Tesla in the first place.
I certainly hope the ventilation problem on the front side window will be solved, both with and WITHOUT the winterpackage. Otherwise it will be looked as a scam (i.e. not usable during winterconditions).
Anyway a great test though.

The battery heater is coming with the Cold Weather option is more efficient. This was the main reason for me to choose this option.

Here is what has been posted in the German Tesla forum send to somebody from an European DS:

You are right in the fact that Model S is built for cold and warm climate. The Cold Weather package is designed for customers who experience artic winter conditions many months of the year. If the Model S battery is below freezing temperatures, the battery must be warmed before charging can begin. The battery coolant heater draws power from the main (high voltage) battery when the vehicle is unplugged, and wall power when the vehicle is plugged in, to warm the coolant and thus the battery to a temperature for charging to begin. If a vehicle is not equipped with Cold Weather Package, Model S will run the motor and inverter to generate the heat needed to warm the coolant and thus the battery to initiate charging. In this mode, heating takes longer and is less efficient than using a battery coolant heater but is still effective. Heating from the drive unit can occur in Park or Drive; it does not require a driver to be present or the vehicle to move. As with the battery heater, power is drawn from the battery when the vehicle is unplugged and from the wall when plugged.
*This feature is only used when the battery is left to acclimate to below freezing temperatures.
a) Heated second row seats
Benefits: Warm butts for the second row passengers. Reduced load on the high voltage battery relative to using the climate control heat, which means better vehicle range. Of course, range improvement will depend on driving style and how the customer usually sets their cabin climate control.
b) Heated windshield wiper cowl
Benefit: Un-freezes the wipers if snow or ice builds up on the base of the windshield around the wipers
c) Heated windshield washer nozzles
Benefit: Makes sure the windshield washer fluid sprays perfectly in super cold conditions
d) Revised windshield defrost grill
Benefit: Allows the windshield to defrost more quickly
e) Battery coolant heater
Benefit: Quicker and more efficient warming of the battery to start charging when the battery is below freezing. It is impossible to forecast warming time because it's dependent on many different factors like: ambient temperature, battery temperature, relative temperature among modules in the battery, is the car plugged in, or unplugged, what is the level of the power source, etc. Given like conditions, the battery coolant heater will warm the battery to a minimum level to start charging more quickly and efficiency than using the drive unit
We recommend this for our artic customers who park most of the time outside, but if you park your car in a garage and are not leaving the car outside in minus degrees unplugged for a longer time you might not need it. As the description states above you need to consider whether these benefits are something you personally require.

Last edited:
Tesla Europe needs to really get their act together.

Agreed 100%. Whoever is their head of marketing/PR/communications is not doing their job IMO. Yes, I know it's hard to stay on top of things when things are moving so fast, but really that's only even more reason to make sure, and then make sure again, that information given to customers is accurate. So much better to say "Don't know" or "To be determined" than saying something that later shows out to be wrong.

Agreed 100%. Whoever is their head of marketing/PR/communications is not doing their job IMO. Yes, I know it's hard to stay on top of things when things are moving so fast, but really that's only even more reason to make sure, and then make sure again, that information given to customers is accurate. So much better to say "Don't know" or "To be determined" than saying something that later shows out to be wrong.

Looks to me they added an optional item and made it standard on all European models. No good deed goes unpunished?

Tesla Europe needs to really get their act together.
Agreed 100%. Whoever is their head of marketing/PR/communications is not doing their job IMO.
What leads you to conclude that it's a position in Tesla Europe that's the problem rather than a person in California? This type of problem is definitely not unique to Europe details disclosure. As such, I'd expect it's a problem from Tesla at a higher level that impacts all markets.

Similarly, I hear people complain about bad info from reps in stores. Sometimes people blame the individual stores, but I suspect it's more a problem in the distribution channels from the decision makers. "But why do some stores seem to have better info?" Because some people are better at dealing with such nuances and/or have built up networking (via coworkers that have been promoted) and thus get access to better info.

It doesn't have to be this way, but it often seems to be this way. And it's not a Tesla-unique problem.

Thermodynamically speaking, it is impossible for one resistive electric heater to be more efficient than another. They all have the same efficiency. You could make it more powerful, or you could better insulate the battery, but you're not going to make the heater more efficient.

A heat pump can be more efficient; but you need a reservoir to pump the heat from. I believe this is why the heater takes so much less power once the car is heated up.

Thank you for the video !

A great surrogate for Quebec winter driving, including the driver's window fogging :smile:

Given your experiment, Montreal-Quebec should not be an issue under most conditions (except frigid full-on blizzards).

Does anyone know what the local temperature was when this was filmed?
It said -6 Celsius at the end of the film. That is .... let me check.... 21.2F...

Thermodynamically speaking, it is impossible for one resistive electric heater to be more efficient than another. They all have the same efficiency. You could make it more powerful, or you could better insulate the battery, but you're not going to make the heater more efficient.

A heat pump can be more efficient; but you need a reservoir to pump the heat from. I believe this is why the heater takes so much less power once the car is heated up.

yeah, true that. My understanding was that with lower temperatures the standard heat pump cannot provide enough heat to warm the battery pack and an additional resistive electric heater is used. With the cold weather pack the heat pump is upgraded to a more powerful version and the resitive heater won't be used that quickly. As I understand it now this is not correct.

As a Canadian who has had my 60 since March, I find this video amazing! I got my car just at the tail end of a proper winter, so only got about one chance to try it on my main winter 'big drive' that is about 230 kms. It did quite well at about -5 with wind, but there was not really snow and/or blizzard-type conditions. As I start gearing up my brain for my first winter with this car, I'm often thinking about the various elements that this video shows in such a simple and effective demo. The thing with the tape is really interesting because I find the more I drive this car (in the summer), the more my brain acts like that piece of tape...ie I naturally ignore the charge details the longer I drive the car because I 'trust it' more, just like I would any car with a regular gas tank. My goal for this upcoming winter will be to 'trust' my car in the exact same way and be confident that it can do the job in cold temps, ideally without having to do range charges all the time (yes, Doug G, I know I shouldn't hesitate to use range charges on long trips, but I can't help it! It's the 'battery life' miser in me, even though I may not even be hurting the battery if I charge to range only right before I leave.) Anyways, this video does a great job of proving that the car can do the job in the winter. Very nice work!!!