Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What knowledge do we have about best tires for range efficiency and low road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i dont buy based on what a pattern looks like..lol....bUT my cc2 are lasting so well that i will likely get thru this winter with this set...3rd winter.
I never did either, but for the first time in my life, this tread pattern caught my eyes. lol. 😅

I am about to change back to CC2 from the original Conti sets due to the upcoming winter, but I have been quite happy so far.

I've just hit 47k miles, and in average, I have 56% tread left between 8 tires. This is assuming tires are done at 4/32-inch treads. I'll buy a new set of tire going into winter if I feel I'm going to hit 4/32 during the winter.

Where do you like to go on holiday?
What food do you like?
What programmes do you like to watch?

When it comes to 'tires' - this has to be, by definition "subjective" surely?
Once you have eliminated the rubbish, what is left is simply down to what YOU want:

Price
Longevity
Grip
Noise
Looks

All of the above is affected by:
What you can afford.
How hard you drive the car.
Types of road surface.
Obsession with road noise.
Obsession with pretty cars!

Provided the 'tire' complies with the Tesla mandate that the walls are reinforced to a certain standard (for their EV's), the rest is purely subjective.

Compare it to buying a pair of shoes trainers if you will !

i dont buy based on what a pattern looks like..lol....bUT my cc2 are lasting so well that i will likely get thru this winter with this set...3rd winter.
Haha - in principle, neither do I. However I do appreciate a sexy tread pattern, and as you can see I'm not above being suspicious of a tread pattern. I think the Hakka's have a pattern that looks like it would do its job well and is attractive.

The CC2's look to me like they'd do a great job of clearing out old compacted snow, or better yet never holding onto it in the first place. They also look like they'd to a great job of anti-hydroplaning. They also just look like they'd be loud and inefficient, which is sort of indirectly unattractive to me. Then there's just something about the way the tread block edges are so straight and perfectly parallel to each other that lacks nuance, and therefore to me feels very basic.

I'm struggling with the reality that I find them ugly, but a staggeringly high portion of people rave about them. I'm kinda glad I do swap tires for the winter, b/c it means there's much less of an argument that I need to consider them :)

Haha - in principle, neither do I. However I do appreciate a sexy tread pattern, and as you can see I'm not above being suspicious of a tread pattern. I think the Hakka's have a pattern that looks like it would do its job well and is attractive.

The CC2's look to me like they'd do a great job of clearing out old compacted snow, or better yet never holding onto it in the first place. They also look like they'd to a great job of anti-hydroplaning. They also just look like they'd be loud and inefficient, which is sort of indirectly unattractive to me. Then there's just something about the way the tread block edges are so straight and perfectly parallel to each other that lacks nuance, and therefore to me feels very basic.

I'm struggling with the reality that I find them ugly, but a staggeringly high portion of people rave about them. I'm kinda glad I do swap tires for the winter, b/c it means there's much less of an argument that I need to consider them :)
HAHA! I agree. I think they LOOK noisy, sitting still!

For my Tesla Model 3, I purchased the Pirelli PZero All Season Plus Elect to replace the all season OEM Continentals.I've driven about 6500 miles on them, and in general, I'd say they're slightly better than the Continentals in pretty much every way. Noise is subjectively slightly reduced, ride comfort is slightly improved. Turn in is actually much better than the Continentals, traction both wet and dry are better as well .Efficiency is 238wh/mile over 9 months with the Pirellis vs 244 with the Continentals( 41,500 miles total) Very little visible wear at this point. Cost $280 per tire here in CT. Hope this helps your search a bit, I came very close to simply buying the OEM tire but then the Pirellis became available. One last thing....these Pirellis are "V" rated for speed vs the "W" rating for the Continentals, but I drive like Grandpa, so it's not a problem for me, though it could be a problem for others. Good luck !
Really fantastic, useful response Jacapuano. I appreciate the inclusion of many details you provide that give readers a baseline to compare to your current patterns be it noise, radius, Wh/m, miles driven... this way no matter what a reader values, they can learn something useful from your experience. And looks like I am going to be focusing my research on purchasing some Pirelli tires. Thank you for your thoughtful input. :)