Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What knowledge do we have about best tires for range efficiency and low road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's interesting.

Are your drives more highway or city roads?
Also, do you accel/decel aggressively or gently?
A mix of hyw and city...work everyday is like 60 miles a day hwy and city..drive conservative..i mean no reason to gunn it off the line constantly right? Maybe to get on freeway but on city sstreets there is no need and it just attracts cops attention who want nothing more then to give a tesla a ticket.
I will say that the cc2 get noisier with wear. Its not crazy loud but louder then when they 1st went on. I rotate every 5k miles religiously. This tread only allows rotating on same side front to back and back to front so there is that limitation vs other tires that can be rotated across side to side.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnB007
In the past 2 years I went thru the following sets of tires on my S :
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Continental DWS 06 Plus
Michelin Crossclimate 2
Michelin X-ICE Snow
…definitely the from my first to last tire it’s going downwards in both noise and efficiency…

Absolutely loved the low noise and efficiency of the Pilot Sport 4 - but they unfortunately only lasted for a couple of thousand of miles…

Currently running on Pirelli Cinturato 7 AS RFT in the back ( but 245/50/19 ) and the Crossclimates in the front and the P7 are much quieter!

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Continental DWS 06 Plus
Michelin Crossclimate 2
Michelin X-ICE Snow
…definitely the from my first to last tire it’s going downwards in both noise and efficiency…

Absolutely loved the low noise and efficiency of the Pilot Sport 4 - but they unfortunately only lasted for a couple of thousand of miles…

Currently running on Pirelli Cinturato 7 AS RFT in the back ( but 245/50/19 ) and the Crossclimates in the front and the P7 are much quieter!
omg..in 2 yrs you e=went thru all those tires
? thats like 6/7 x $1200 a pop....or so... you must drive agressively

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Continental DWS 06 Plus
Michelin Crossclimate 2
Michelin X-ICE Snow

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and 4 have served me well on my 2016 90D. Average 51,000 miles per set. Have no idea how you can go thru that many tires in 2 years. It's take me 7 years and more than 155,000 miles to go through 3 sets (working on the fourth).

Reactions: GOVA
…going thru all these sets has been one big part stupidity and bad luck.

When I first got my air suspension S after reading about better efficiency when lowering the car, I set it to go to low setting over 50mph. That coupled with very spirited driving in the beginning, resulted in going thru 3 sets within maybe 10k miles. That was a painful learning curve, assuming bad alignment etc. until I finally figured out not to touch the ride height setting.

Rest were all pot holes - passionate road warrior / powder chaser here just bent 3 rims a tire in Big Bear two weekends ago…5 tires alone this year. My car is usually loaded up to max and more, just too heavy for the little sidewalls…that’s why I decided now to go up in size on sidewall.

Noticed after responding that this thread wasn’t in the Model S section

avramd: I know you find my "policing" multiple posts on the same subject annoying, but I can't help but comment on something you posted about the appearance of the Michelin CC2.

You said, "...the tread pattern on the CC's physically looks like it would be inefficient..." I totally agree, and think the tread looks noisy even when it's not spinning! 🤪 🤣

I also find the CC2 tread pattern "ugly." I'm not sure if that's because it looks inefficient (and noisy), or if it's just separate. Tread patterns don't strike me as something to care about aesthetically, but I do like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tread pattern, and back in the day when the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-02 came out, I found that tread pattern to be really hot.

bs_potenza_s02n2_pdpcrop-2469704501.jpeg

Only 500 miles into Hankook Ion Evo AS SUVs but they're working like a charm.

Quiet, great handling, and excellent efficiency.
Size? Load rating? Mileage rating? Where did you buy?

Hmm...I'm in Fort Worth, surrounded by aged concrete slabs, lots of uneven cracks, also aggressive exposed aggregate concrete and asphalt.

How's the road/tread noise on anything but smooth asphalt?

It's curious that TireRack doesn't show this tire in the OEM 255/45 x 19 size

Been running Vredestein quatrac pro’s since last September. Over the long winter in New England, these tires were roughly 4-5% less efficient overall. Prior to the real cold months of fall, and now the warming months of spring, the tires have been on par with OEM. I suspect, with a full warm season, my overall number of 267kwh (prior to the tire changeover) will be equaled (maybe bettered). We shall see.

@avramd - have you seen "the spreadsheet"?

Somewhere on the forums exists a tire spreadsheet with all of the tires and all sorts of metrics for them.

It's likely I came acrossed it on the Model 3 subforum, and I'm not sure how valuable it would be for the Y, but it was very valuable to me when choosing my last tires. I don't have a link or feel like digging for it right now.

Size? Load rating? Mileage rating? Where did you buy?

Hmm...I'm in Fort Worth, surrounded by aged concrete slabs, lots of uneven cracks, also aggressive exposed aggregate concrete and asphalt.

How's the road/tread noise on anything but smooth asphalt?

It's curious that TireRack doesn't show this tire in the OEM 255/45 x 19 size
255/45/19 - the stock OEM size.

Bought them from Discount Tire.

I'm constantly between Austin and Houston, so our roads aren't much better here at all.

The road/tread noise is present on non-smooth roads - but noticeable less than with the OEM P Zero Elects and OEM Conti ProContacts.

@avramd - have you seen "the spreadsheet"?

Somewhere on the forums exists a tire spreadsheet with all of the tires and all sorts of metrics for them.

It's likely I came acrossed it on the Model 3 subforum, and I'm not sure how valuable it would be for the Y, but it was very valuable to me when choosing my last tires. I don't have a link or feel like digging for it right now.
Oh wow, no, I hadn't. Just did a little searching, and found a table of compiled reviews/specs, and a spreadsheet for calculating efficiency. I suspect you're talking about the former. Thanks!

Only 500 miles into Hankook Ion Evo AS SUVs but they're working like a charm.

Quiet, great handling, and excellent efficiency.
How are you liking these now? I’ve narrowed my choices to these and the Pirelli AS Elect’s. Manager at Discount was suggesting the Pirelli’s over the Hankooks. My Michelin PS AS4’s are almost worn out at 23K - great tires but noisy and I’m ready for a change.