Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS King Of Cold Weather Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be leaving my M3 for 4 days with temperatures between 0 and 25 degrees F.
When I get back, I have 30 miles to drive before I can charge. Would I do best to warm the car and battery while I am not plugged in, or just drive slowly to the charger?

I will be leaving my M3 for 4 days with temperatures between 0 and 25 degrees F.
When I get back, I have 30 miles to drive before I can charge. Would I do best to warm the car and battery while I am not plugged in, or just drive slowly to the charger?

Assuming you mean fast charging, the car charges better when the battery is warm. If you have plenty of energy left, spirited driving would help you warm up the battery and charge faster.

I would warm up the battery before you drive. It’s much better to drive if it’s even 30min time to warm the cabin and battery. Leave the car with app. 70% SOC of the battery and you will be fine. And use the navigation to SuC to give the extra heating for faster charging once there. Spirited driving will consume more battery than heating prior driving.

Last edited: